16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Sporting Clays Load DR-16
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Looking for the right powder to complete a good load for shooting Sporting Clays with the DR-16. I shoot about 200 rounds a weekend for fun. I would like a powder that burns clean and helps fill up the hull so I get proper crimps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Been having issues with unburnt powder falling into the action and eventually screwing up.

What I have
Cheddite Hulls
Noble Sport Primers
DR-16 Wads
3/4oz to 7/8oz loads. I would prefer not to have to add fillers or overshot cards.

Pressure 8k to 9k
Speed 1100 to 1250
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

If residue is a big concern use a single base powder that has no nitro glycerin in it such as The Vectan powders or the Vitvouri powders. There are Vectan powder loads for 16ga on Grafs website or BPI's web site. They are great powders.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Take a look at these loads , no filler needed .

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14233&highlight=700x

Keep your loads above 9k psi and they will be cleaner . Unless you want or need low pressure , ave 11500 psi is safe .

I really like 700x it is very clean burning

Last edited by fn16ga on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

My standard load for sporting clays is Remington hulls, Win 209, 16.6 gr Green Dot, DR16, 7/8 oz shot, fold crimp. No filler needed. I'm shooting a SxS (no gas ports, etc) so I'm not sure how clean the burn is
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
My standard load for sporting clays is Remington hulls, Win 209, 16.6 gr Green Dot, DR16, 7/8 oz shot, fold crimp. No filler needed. I'm shooting a SxS (no gas ports, etc) so I'm not sure how clean the burn is

That is also a excellent load in Federal hulls.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Good reading here

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9778&highlight=dr16

And here

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17433&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dr16&start=15
wellshooter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:30 am  Reply with quote

You should consider cutting your 2 3/4 hulls down to 2 1/2 so that no filler is needed for 7/8 or 3/4 oz loads.

I shoot Federals and Herters factory 1 oz and then cut them to 2 1/2". Then reload them on my MEC 650 with W209. 14-16 gr Universal, DR-16, 3/4 or 7/8 oz #8 Magnum shot.

Low recoil and surprisingly clean burning I discovered. As you increase velocity with International it get dirtier, or at least that has been my experience.

My unscientific chrono testing showed velocity steps of +/-50 fps/0.5 grn change so my current load (+/-14.5 grs) velocity is about 1050.

To shorten the hulls contact Byrdog on this forum. The cutter he sells is amazing. Very Happy

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 am  Reply with quote

I have loaded both 7/8oz and 3/4oz , dr16 wad , in a 2 3/4" hull no filler needed . That said I load most of my 3/4 oz in 2 1/2 ' hulls and 7/8 in 2 3/4 " hulls .

The beauty of the Dr wad , hull length doesn't matter with most 7/8 & 3/4 oz loads
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Fin , nice job digging those old threads out - always good to re-confirm some of the old stuff ! Use 700x , CD and RD at @ 13grns with 360 grns of shot for targets - good to remember the high end for hunting loads ! (7/Cool (recoil!)

joe_dumy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I should have mentioned they are 2 3/4" hulls. And I have a progressive that can do 2 1/2" so cutting them to 2 1/2" is not an option for me.

Thanks for the leads to old threads that taught me a couple of things. That pressure is ok on most modern guns. And can be used to blow out the barrel better. I was always trying to get the least amount of pressure in my loads and this helps me understand one of the benefits of higher pressure. Crimps have an impact on the combustion.

Is IMR PB powder gone. So sad to see such great loads and not find any powder. Read a thread that said it was being cut from the line up.

Looks like Hodgon International might be a good choice. Anybody use this for 7/8 target loads.

I have used Green Dot in the past as well. I was happy with it but since I got the opportunity for a new keg I thought I would check out some other powders people are happy with.

I have not found a 700x load with the components I have. If there is a good one please point me to it. I have a whole keg of it for 12ga. It would be nice if I could use it for both.

I could find any load info on the Vectan or Vitvouri powders. Maybe I am not looking in the right spot.
Lon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Joe, welcome to the wonderful and sometimes frustrating world of reloading for the 16 gauge.

PB powder has been discontinued. Lots of people liked this powder. However, I would not spend time looking for or buying a discontinued product.

Although I understand you are wanting to use up the reloading components you have on hand, it seems like you are trying to put a square peg in a round hole; especially considering the somewhat limited reloading data for 16 gauge.

I have no experience using Noble primers so I'm not going to suggest anything with that primer. Not sure how many tested loads there are with Noble primers?

With the parameters of a 2 3/4" hull you listed, the only wad choice you have, without fillers, for 7/8 oz in 16 gauge, would be the DR16.

The DR16 will work very well in Cheddite hulls and I love 700X in light loads. It's very efficient and burns pretty clean when used in a well-thought out load.

In general, with modern shotguns, pressure is your friend. From all the chronographing and testing I've done, the most consistent loads need at least 9,500 psi.

My best loads are usually in the 10,000 to 11,500 psi range. Matter of fact, I do not recall chronographing a single recipe in 16 gauge with a listed pressure below 9,000 psi that produced consistent velocities within 35 FPS EV.

I am not stating you can not achieve less than 35 FPS EV with pressures lower than 9,000. I just saying I haven't been able to do it myself.

Unless you are shooting an old gun that requires lower pressure, I'd be looking at recipes with more than 9,000 psi, especially since you specifically asked about a clean burn.

I believe it would be safe to use a 2 3/4" Cheddite hull with a Cheddite or Winchester primer and 15 grains of 700x, DR16 wad and 7/8 oz of shot. I'd guess the pressure would come in somewhere between 9,000 and 10,000 psi. And, I'd guess the velocity would come in somewhere between 1,100 and 1,200 FPS

To be sure, it would be safest to have this load officially pressure tested with Precision Reloading or Tom Armbrust before shooting it.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Lon

www.lonlauber.com
barrowsr
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

The following is a load I sent off to Precision Reloading to get pressure tested. I can send you the detailed report if you're interested. I've found Extra Lite powder to be among cleanest burning for 12 and 16 gauge target loads.

3/4 oz # 8.5 shot
13.5 gr of Extra-Lite
DR16 wad
WW 209 primer
MEC # 26 bushing

Robin
wellshooter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

I've always heard that higher pressures make things cleaner but it's not my experience. I took the 7/8 oz 16 ga Universal load off the Hogdon website and stepped it down to 1050 fps 1/2 grain at a time. I don't know what the pressure is but it has to be low and the only thing I find in barrels to clean out is plastic from the wads. I've never seen such a clean load. Pleasant to shoot and clean.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Best keep in mind that a 3/4 or 7/8 ounce 16 gauge load is considered to be a sub-gauge load. It just so happens that in 3/4 or 7/8 ounce 16 gauge loads, Green Dot and International Clays have the right burn speed to allow for bulky enough powder charges to fill up enough space w/o resulting in unacceptably high load pressures. However, IC might be a bit cleaner burning than GD, but neither load should be too dirty if your powder charges are between 17 and 19 grains.

15 grains of 700X in your load might be okay and will be clean burning enough to suit Joe. Even 16 grains might be doable for 3/4 ounce loads in a Cheddite hull. The powder charges might still be bulky enough to result in good crimps, but you might need to lower your crimp starter a tad and tweak your crimp forming station a bit to get there.
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

barrowsr wrote:
The following is a load I sent off to Precision Reloading to get pressure tested. I can send you the detailed report if you're interested. I've found Extra Lite powder to be among cleanest burning for 12 and 16 gauge target loads.

3/4 oz # 8.5 shot
13.5 gr of Extra-Lite
DR16 wad
WW 209 primer
MEC # 26 bushing

Robin

This is a load I made up and had tested by Tom Armrest in 2013
Cheddite hull
Win 209 primer
13.7 gr Alliant Extra Lite powder
DR 16 wad
3/4 oz lead. 7.5