16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Lube Comment
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 pm  Reply with quote

At some point in the not too distant past I started using Ballistol, especially after some testing and observations indicated that WD-40 basically disappeared over time and left little or no evidence of lubricity or protection.

I was so satisfied with Ballistol on my firearms that I purchased a large spray can of it and began using it for general household purposes. A couple years or so back I used it to lube the roller wheels on our electric clothes dryer when they started to howl. It worked well enough until last year when I had time to install a new roller wheel for one that was in the worst condition, which I lubed with lithium grease upon installation.

The dryer belt frayed the other day (they don't make the like they used to, barely got 17 years out of that thing, but it was used when we bought it) and when I took it apart to replace it I was surprised to see that after one year, the lithium grease had turned into a stiff sticky gum and the wheel barely turned! The other wheel which had Ballistol was slightly gummed up but it turned smoothly with only moderate resistance.

So now I have some doubts about lubes in general, but Ballistol seems good if not ideal. I put some graphite lube on the dryer wheels but who knows what will happen (we have some teens in the house and, like the shower, the dryer never stops.) Firearms generally don't encounter the usage conditions like a clothes dryer but maybe a semi-automatic might generate heat and wear to thicken Ballistol like the dryer.

Any thoughts or observations, gentlemen?

Brewster
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:16 am  Reply with quote

I use 3+1 oil as it is a pure lubricant. I use it on everything. I use Hoppes to clean guns and break rusted fasteners etc. I have used so many other products over the years I cant count them. Now I am back to these two.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Over the years, it has remained pretty much the same for me. Light gun oil, Hoppes number nine, and I keep some Kroil around to loosen frozen parts.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
scraggley
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

General Electric washer & dryer over 25 years old .Washer running w/o a hitch. Dryer developed a squeak in the drum bearing. My go to lubricant is Gibbs penetrating spray lube. After assessing the bearing I gave it a judicious spray, it still squeaked ,so I dusted the bearing area with powdered Teflon ( Hoppes item no 3062) . After a min. or so the squeak stopped. This was about 3 years ago. It started squeaking recently, and a reapplication of these products stopped it again.
The Gibbs product has un- frozen numerous bolts I would never believed could move. I must have used it on a gun some time, cant recall. Hoppes no 9 user since 1949 .

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

WD-40 for cleaning
Ballistol for lubricant
RIG to pressure points and long term

Mike

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

Good question.
I don't know but.....it's slippery.
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Ballistol keeps my shredder running smoothly.

jswanson
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="byrdog"]I use 3+1 oil as it is a pure lubricant. I use it on everything. I use Hoppes to clean guns and break rusted fasteners etc. I have used so many other products over the years I cant count them. Now I am back to these two.[/quote]

I'm with you my friend. 3&1 and Hoppes. I still have two large bottle of the original formula. I tend to horde things.

Joe

kennedy756
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

I use to use 3 and 1 oil, until I used it on my pristine colt python, and after leaving it in the safe for a couple of years, the oil had dried up locking the cylinder. now only gun oil and rig.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
1stgun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
Over the years, it has remained pretty much the same for me. Light gun oil, Hoppes number nine, and I keep some Kroil around to loosen frozen parts.

Dale

+1, Got to have my Kroil!

Chuck

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

RemOil for my repeaters to keep them running.

Super Lube grease for all choke tube threads. It doesn't stain clothes or your shooting vest.

Shooter's Choice grease for break actions.

Hoppes's 9 for bore cleaning.

Shooter's Choice Rust Preventative to keep stuff rust free.

Rock 'n Roll Super Web grease for everything on a MEC reloader, including the collet. Lasts a long time and does not dry out like Anti-seize that MEC recommends.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

For generations we have used good cleaning solvent to clean our L.C. Smith double guns. One of the best out today is the latest version of BreakFree. The new owners have returned to the original Military approved version, and it both cleans and water proofs, along with building up a protective coating as it is used.

Wipe any extra BreakFree off the gun and place one drop of Singer Sewing Machine Oil in the proper working places.

Our L.C. Smith Double Guns are in perfect shape, having been passed down thru the generations.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Eesox for all lube protection applications (including choke tubes which I pull during every cleaning.

Hoppes 9 for bore solvent

Cleenzoil hinge pin jelly

And a 1 to 3 3/1 oil to vaseline sparingly on the internal works of side locks per the Purdey instructions (though I may be off on the ratio-but right on vaseline)

To restore wood I have used CCL Gunstock Conditioning Oil on wood before waxing.

I also use Renaissance Wax on the wood and lubricated metal

pumpgun
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Eesox for all lube protection applications (including choke tubes which I pull during every cleaning.

+1
Eezox is amazing, used it for years, including duck hunting in tidal areas, bad weather etc. Never any rust.
I drank the Amsoil Kool-Aid, and I've started using their gun care products in place of Break free CLP.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

BigCreekMI wrote:
Ballistol keeps my shredder running smoothly.

I use Ballistol on my guns (except my M-1, which is a "grease" gun) but never for my shredder because it costs too much.

When I looked up the MSDS for Fellowes shredder oil "Powershred Performance Shredder Oil" I found out that it was canola oil - now I buy it at Wal-Mart for much less than the "official" oil or Ballistol. Paying less for my shredder oil lets me shoot more.