16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT-killing rats .22 shot shell
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Rats moved in underneath our chicken coup, so far caught 6 in traps, decided to kill them with smoke bombs, so we covered all the holes, set off the bombs and waited, I got one with my colt .22 frontier, on left in pic, armed the wife with my 9 shot High Standard, on right, grandson had his ruger III 22/45, I was only one to get a shot off. We used the federal .22 bird shot.
[URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/kennedy759/media/rats%20002.jpg.html] [/URL]

It was a lot of fun, and hopefully got them under control

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing
So it was a shot shell adventure after all Smile
Mike

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Almost 20 years ago we had a wave of rats come through the neighborhood just before Christmas. We didn't have a cat or dogs at the time and were advised by a local feed and seed to use rat poison and traps. According to the advice we got, the rats would eat the poison, and leave structure to look for water, would mummify and not smell when killed by the poison. Google "rodent myths" for what happened next. A rat died in the master bedroom wall and stunk to high heavens. Fortunately it was winter and we were going out of town for a week. We opened the windows and sealed the door to the bedroom. It still smelled when we got back, but after a few more days, it wasn't noticeable. Next time I'll call you; bring plenty of ammo and smoke bombs. Wink Gil
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

That's pushing the lil' shotshell!!!!!!!!Best keep hits toward the front half-----Smallest I 've used has been .22 mag--back when they were affordable Shocked Cheaper now to shoot them with a 12 or 20 and the Wally 4-paks of shells
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
That's pushing the lil' shotshell!!!!!!!!Best keep hits toward the front half-----Smallest I 've used has been .22 mag--back when they were affordable Shocked Cheaper now to shoot them with a 12 or 20 and the Wally 4-paks of shells

yeap, the little shot shell barely did the job, first shot in the hip, second in the ribcage, finally gave it enough lead, and hit it in the head. My coup has 1/4 in walls, with family and chickens close by, I did not want to use a 16ga

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Several years back a friend was having a problem with rats in his pig feed. I loaded down some 270 Win cast bullets to about 800 fps. About the same noise level as a 22. 130 gr flat nose was deadly on the rats but they were smart- I'd only get one chance per night but they finally got the idea that it was safer to reside elsewhere.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Brings to mind, back in the late 60's, we lads shot literally hundreds of rats in a large recently emptied chicken coop. Shot them with .22 shorts,my pal shot into a bunch inside the building with a 20 gauge and couldn't hear the rest of the afternoon. The old fellow who owned the place had a deed for the farm on what he said was an actual sheep skin. It looked like it could have been to us kids. Years later we found out that old Burt's great grandfather, as well as a neighboring farm family were deeded their land for service during the Revolutionary War. The place would have been on the far western frontier at the time. Never saw that many rats in one place again in my life.

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 am  Reply with quote

fred lauer wrote:
. The old fellow who owned the place had a deed for the farm on what he said was an actual sheep skin. It looked like it could have been to us kids. Years later we found out that old Burt's great grandfather, as well as a neighboring farm family were deeded their land for service during the Revolutionary War.

In Ireland many deeds were written on sheepskin. In the event of a fire, the sheepskin would shrink to small size, not burn, and still be readable. Gil
Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

Early 70's rat hunting at the local dump (pre landfill days) on a Friday night was quite the social event in rural Maine. The hunt took place after dark with various forms of firepower and skill, with the amount of ammo expended surprisingly nobody ever got shot. Rats were like rugby players they ate their own dead.

architorture23
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

a 16 ga reloaded with rock salt would do the trick.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Gil, thanks that is a very interesting reason for the sheepskin. Griffon, we also noted the eating of the carcasses. As I recall they ate the front half, must have been something they didn't like in the rear end. After the chickens and chicken feed were gone they got pretty hungry.

A5Mag12
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Had a couple single shot bolt .22's a lifetime ago we used to shoot rats with running across barn rafters at night. Slip in quietly and flip on the lights. You could run back and forth between 3 or 4 barns and have action all night.
3crosses
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

I have used aguila colibri .22 ammo for rats. Very quiet and accurate in my rifle. But, it won't cycle an auto. I have an infestation of ground squirrels in my back yard. The stuff works and neighbors hear nothing.

It is quieter than my PCP air rifle.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:29 am  Reply with quote

Fun stuff, fond memories of my first "real" job at a buds family country store. Sitting on the roof at lunchtime shooting down into the dumpster across the back parking lot at rats...we had to switch to subsonics and shorts so not to upset the customers.

scraggley
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:36 am  Reply with quote

When it comes to dispatching undesirable small critters I use my Remington Model742 22 cal shotgun with a Routledge bore. Its hard to believe how effective this boring is unless you see it work. At around 20 feet the choke effect will place around 8 or more #12 pellets in a small steel tomato soup can. The pellets at that range will severely dent the can but not quite break through the bottom. The way the barrel is bored there is a .22cal smooth bore for about 14" and then Is bored out to approximate a 3/4" diameter hole straight to the muzzle . ,This gun feeds the regular crimped 22 cal. shot cartridges but not the plastic tipped ones like CCI makes. My son has a single shot bolt gun with the same boring I forget which model. Having a pump repeater we have had fun shooting at hand thrown juice cans with great results.

Art