16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Firing Pin or Primers
Montana16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Shot about 100 shells at SC yesterday; my typical reloads using Winchester primers. Had a couple shells with primers that show deformation. The upraised part of the primer is impacting the face and making it difficult to open. Pics of primers below.

Most of the shells fired without any problems and had strikes right in the center of the primer. Since this only happened a couple times, is it likely an issue with how the primer was seated in the hull, or is this a result of an issue with the firing pin?

I use a MEC progressive reloader.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:19 am  Reply with quote

The pushing up primer metal as you open the gun looks like a flattened firing pin tip catching and moving material. I guess it could also be the cause of that middle shell blanking the primer. The firing pin tip should be spherical and smooth. I'm assuming this is a break action gun.

Montana16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, it is a Merkel 200E, 1948 Vintage. Sounds like I need firing pin(s) (and springs?) replaced?

Anyone know of a gunsmith with Merkel experience? I checked the Merkel-USA website and they offer some service support. Any members of the forum have experience sending their firearms to Merkel-USA for service?
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

If you are using snap caps in your Merkel, be sure the primer portion is some type of material other than steel. The Pro-Shot fuzzy snap caps come with a steel primer piece that will flatten the tip on some firing pins. I replaced the steel pieces with brass on my Pro-Shot fuzzies and have no problems with my firing pins, however, had to replace pins on several guns before I discovered the issue.

Montana16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, I am using the Pro Shot Snapcaps! To think I am trying to keep wear and tear down on the springs and I might have damaged the firing pins! Argh....
Sad

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:55 am  Reply with quote

PM me a shipping address and I'll make you a couple of brass inserts for those Prp-Shots to protect your new firing pins. I still like my fuzzy snap caps, but they just need an upgrade. On my guns, some firing pins were harder than others and were not damaged by the steel insert. Unfortunately it wasn't only the less expensive guns that had the firing pin damage.

JNW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

This thread was very enlightening. Riflemeister, thanks for telling us about the Pro Shot snap caps. I have them in almost every gun I own! Time to check my firing pins.
Jeff
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 am  Reply with quote

A-Zoom makes nice snap caps that will not hurt the firing pins. They dont have fuzzy mops on them but then again I store my guns in a dehumidified gun safe.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:46 am  Reply with quote

It is really pretty simple to fix the Pro-Shot caps.

The mop unscrews allowing access to these parts.

A copy of the steel primer is made from 1/4" brass rod in a lathe. It takes about 5 minutes to turn one out. You can have your fuzzies and save your firing pins at the same time.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Delrin works nice too.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:22 am  Reply with quote

A cheap method I have used is to cut the plastic from the brass head, fill the primer pocket with epoxy and let it harden. After a few hits they get imprinted and much resemble a fired primer, but if you're just wanting to release the pressure on the firing pin spring for storage, they work well.
wellshooter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:43 am  Reply with quote

It's not too hard to hand sand a firing pin back from blunt or sharp back to smooth and round either. A little time and a little patience.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight