16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2017 Turkey Season
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Up here in Maine, the season is not yet open though the toms are strutting. Word is the #1 species complained about for being nuisance wildlife has gone from bears or beavers (depends on the type of nuisance) to ... turkeys.
And that's after their having been reintroduced only in the mid 80s.
Our season won't open until May 1 and close until June 3 at the latest. Go to this page for details: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/pdfs/2017huntingseasonschart.pdf

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

I guide for the last three weeks of the season in Wisconsin and it should be fun. We will be hunting a variety of locations and terrains and plan to visit the neighborhood of two of the largest turkeys I've ever killed. Good genes there.

I'm shooting backup with my sixteen named "Bill" unless the weather is bad. It's a Model 12 with a mod choke that works great with 6's to 35 yards. Some of the areas have hilly terrain that I hope to use to reduce shooting yardages down to twenty yards if I can. I've been thinking about our friend who started using a double trigger double 20 with modern ammo for light weight and highly versatile use in a 6 lb package. Deadly and svelte, it's just the thing for old hunters affected by the nostalgia malady and regretting the 30" Sterlys they have held and pointed at targets real and imaginary while considering their addition to the fold. I've still got the big double but don't enjoy hefting that beast in the flatlands much less the hills. I toted that old Iver when I was a young man, and to a young man it will go when he gets big enough to tote it himself (or for me!).

Reno

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:29 am  Reply with quote

Reno - my kid "borrowed " the ole 1889 10ga awhile back and I haven't REALLY tried to get it back yet . The weight thing keeps getting more important , and I've got a std weight M31 that has been leading the pack when the M37 doesn't go . I shot a super mag bare butt with my down vest on , and it was spectacular - although I know if it's at a turkey , I won't even notice ! I MAY have to give that butt ugly Stevens an opp as it handles the big loads easily/mildly . Quite the anomaly !! ( I know Nick , I still have those little hot rod loads avail , but I just can't resist getting my head rattled occasionally - like smelling red dot , just need it once in a while !!)

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Bill, you are one sick puppy! Please be careful what you wish for when you're old enough to know better. Reno

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

PIPE , my wife sez I'll NEVER grow up !!! ya think !? Not a big departure from Jackass , eh!

67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Woohoo I'm finally a member on here! I can't wait to set up on the old tom in the morning that I have been hunting for 3 years. Let's see how he outsmarts me this time
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Keith. Gil

Two Georgia big boys bagged this spring by galaxie67 (Keith S.) Fox and a 10 ga. W.C. Scott.

67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Gil I owe ya! I'll have a 16 with me in the morning to fill my last tag. Wish me luck folks
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

It took me three days to get a particular pair of gobblers in gun range in front of a hunting buddy who can't sit still only to have them see him move, get nervous, periscope, get all jerky headed, and convince me that they were going to bolt. Hunting buddy did not have a shot and I could see them clearly down my barrel as I lined one up. Legend has it that George Washington killed a cherry tree by cutting it down; I did the same when I pulled my trigger, focused on a thirty yard target and missing the half inch seedling fifteen feet in front of my bore. Destroyed my pattern and gave that old bird and his buddy the scare of their lives. I bet I have done that a dozen times over the last 48 years and it still irks me to no end. Two more educated Toms curtesy of yours truly!

Any more good stories and pictures?

Reno

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:50 am  Reply with quote

yesterday was opener here in NY . 2 toms , both sitting on hens and off the property . Too wet today after another 2" of rain yest aft . Try again tomorrow as they have been on the property ... Reno , I have a mounted 11/2 " tree trunk mtd in the living room . 18yd shot with my bow in a spot that was completely clear . 23" buck . perfect shot on his shoulder . The only tree within 30yds and nailed it dead center !! Now use sights on the bows so that I see some of these things !

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Reno, I take the misses in stride. I consider it proof that I am hunting. Wink Miserable season for me. No misses, however. Gil
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

My first spring turkey taken in Nebraska, on May 4, 2017.

16 Gauge (of course) Remington 870 - 1962 vintage - .022" of choke.

The loads were reloaded back in 2002, 1 1/4 oz. of copper 5's. Never used them for pheasants like I thought I would. I now have a use for them.

Winchester 2 pc plastic (Made in Italy)
CCI 209 M
23.0 grains Longshot
Remington SP 16 wad
1 1/4 oz. Lawrence copper 5's

1295 FPS 10,500 PSI

fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:59 am  Reply with quote

DC congrats on your first Spring Turkey ( it can be very addicting ) with a16ga to boot !!!! Beautiful Bird !!! I killed 2 this season with of one my old SweetSixteens , I used a 1 9/16 oz load of 9 1/2 TSS . Killed one at 35 and the other at 50 yards .

I also missed one at 10 yards Embarassed Embarassed Long story ,I will tell when i get more time.

Last edited by fn16ga on Fri May 05, 2017 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Nice bird, DC! Getting a turkey with a 16 gauge is on my bucket list.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:19 am  Reply with quote

He looks like a hybrid between the merriams that were there and the rios that were stocked. That's a pretty 16 bird. My Nebraska birds were killed within a stones throw of the Niabrara River. Reno