16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Good Old 870 at Cabelas
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Poking around at Cabelas in Rogers, MN this afternoon I found a very nice old 870 16 gauge that looks about early to mid '50's vintage NRA Good to Very Good condition. It is a DeLuxe, with the nice checkered wood -- the old saw-cut diamond pattern they used before they went to impressed checkering. The beavertail forend instead of the tootsie roll, and of course the buttstock grip is also checkered and has a cap. Best of all this gun has the fairly unusual-to-find matted barrel. Looks like 28 inch, and I forgot to check the choke, but up here in the north, it is likely to be full or mod. Good pheasant gun. $330 asking. I have no interest in the sale of this gun or any other, but if you want an older and nicer, and lighter 870 16, this might be it. If you want it, better jump on it. Call and reserve it. Tell them you got only a quick look at it, and now you want it. Offer them $275 or $300 on the phone. Agree to a price, then see it. You can still refuse it if you don't like it. If you can get it for $315 or less you're in tall cotton -- even $330 is OK. You can bet they probably have about $100 to $150 in it. They want to move these guns quickly. Cabelas usually goes 10% down for stuff on the used rack. I would think it won't last long.

Bit off topic, but they do have several nice solid rib 32" Model 12 12 gauges on the rack -- all field grade, of course. They are pretty ordinary NRA Good condition -- definitely lots of blue and not beat up and pitted. One is an older one that has been re-finished, but done nicer than Simmons does them -- better care of finish fine-ness, edge shape and blue. Even I was amazed (also only $330 asking), Simmons is sort of the garden variety best you can hope for in an OK refinish job (some call Simmons jobs a resto, but no, they are not), but this one beats a Simmons job hands down. The most remarkable of the Model 12's they have is a very nice un-molested solid-rib 32" bbl 3-inch Duck Gun for $900 -- nutty price. Prices are pretty high for the ones they have with original finish, as all are except for that $330 one.
df
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

I must have missed that one. Was there couple days ago.
Not really a pump gun guy anymore though.