16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Started getting things together to reload 2½" 16ga
Alan in Vermont
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

After quite a period of going back & forth whether to buy factory loads or load my own I took the plunge into reloading today. Not starting reloading overall, just 2½" 16ga.

I was able to find a NOS conversion kit for my 600 Jr at a decent price. It's old enough that it has all metal dies. I just don't feel comfortable with the plastic dies the newer 600 Jrs use. Mine is 1970 vintage so I'm well into comfortable with it.

I got wads and BP crimp starter ordered, planning to go with buying a couple hundred primed cheddite hulls. Hit the wall on that one. BP & Graf are both out.

Any chance someone here knows where 1-200 primed Cheddites can be found? I could live with fired hulls but from what I have read Cheddite hulls need Cheddite primers because other brands of 209s may be a little loose in the pocket. Nobody around here stocks Chedd. primers and mail ordering them gets pricey when you have to pony up the hazmat fee for one item.

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Alan, good luck on your reloading!

IN STOCK Smile

Copy and paste entire link please Shocked

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=CH&i=165GA

Mike

kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

I have 250 brand new, primed, 2 1/2 inch cheddite hulls I will trade for once fired rem hulls.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Alan
I make a tool that will trim 2.75" hulls down to 2.5" hulls It is driven by a cordless drill or screw driver and will trim 25 hulls in about 5 min. PM me if you want one.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
wellshooter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
Alan
I make a tool that will trim 2.75" hulls down to 2.5" hulls It is driven by a cordless drill or screw driver and will trim 25 hulls in about 5 min. PM me if you want one.

and I might add that tool works wonderfully.

As for hulls, I use once fired Herters, which I am told are Cheddites, and primed them with Win 209's I haven't had any problems doing that.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Byrdog's trimmer will make any 2.5" shooter a happy camper!
Better than any of the "factory" contraptions, with a nice touch of home worked skill, added, at a reasonable price.
Alan in Vermont
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
Alan

I am aware of the tools for shortening hulls but the issue there is that one needs hulls to trim. 16ga. once fireds are pure unobtanium, in any length.

Also, 200 hulls will most likely last out my lifetime. Unless this little double turns out be the light sabre of all shotguns it's not going to get shot a lot. I'm trying to tool up the minimum amount needed to load the initial 200 new cases I had planned on and be able to reload them however many times the Cheddites will hold up for.

The gun is a 2½" chambered German SXS made prior to WWII in pretty ratty condition. The action is tight, tubes are smooth & shiny. I just don't quite dare load it with 2¾" loads. I have fired it with some loads that I cobbed together with 2½" brass shells and some ground down 12ga. fibre wads.

The buttstock is beat all to blazes though. The stock was split, vertically, through the wrist with a big piece split off the left side where it sits alongside the top tang. I epoxied the split, with through bolts and rebuilt the missing chunk with Acraglas so it's functional & tight. If I can get to where I can hit with it, something that was sadly lacking when I fired the brass cased loads, I may explore having it restocked, most likely a DIY project. It's just so "cute" and lively in my hands that I can't bring myself to chop it and throw it in the scrap metal. YET!

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:18 am  Reply with quote

WONDERFUL Posting

Thank you and good luck and
keep those updates coming
Mike

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Alan:
If you ever get to the point of tossing that sxs in the scrap bin, pm me. I'll be happy to take it off your hands, pay for shipping and FFL transfer.....
Seriously.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Alan in Vermont--hey, are you the Alan I shoot /camp with at Hausmann's?
I have a brain fart and cant remember your last name, anyway, If you are going to Hausmann's this year, I can bring you a couple hundred Herters/cheddites, and will cut them down to 2 1/2'
Harold

Alan in Vermont
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Harold, sorry, I'm not the Alan you know.

I received all the "bits" I had ordered, had a tough time finding anyone with Cheddite 2½" in stock but that finally came together.

Had no small shot on hand. Was just about positive I had a jug of 7½ but was wrong again.

Had to do some large caliber interpolating and a couple educated guesses for data but worked around that too.

Played with both 3/4 & 7/8 oz loads. Only shot on hand was #6, which runs a little peevish in my MEC bars. After many adjustments, and about as many deformed crimps I hit a combination that worked. Crimps aren't quite as deep as I would like but they are neither pop open nor dished.

Have to wait for another transfusion of mad money so I can get something smaller than #6 in the shot bottle and something other than DR16s in the wad bin. My first experience with them and I am underwhelmed to a fault.

byrdog
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

I agree ,DR-16 still needs work. I have set up a PW 375 that has the dies for loading 2.75" shells on one set and the other set of dies loads 2.5" shells. I have been using the CB 16ga wad for 7/8 oz (pink) in cut down cheds. The wad needs a scrunch before the shot drop but it all works real nice.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
wellshooter
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
I agree ,DR-16 still needs work. I have set up a PW 375 that has the dies for loading 2.75" shells on one set and the other set of dies loads 2.5" shells. I have been using the CB 16ga wad for 7/8 oz (pink) in cut down cheds. The wad needs a scrunch before the shot drop but it all works real nice.

Yep, I found that wad pressure has to be raised for the 7/8 loads and still sometimes the DR 16 will 'stand up' before I can get it over to the crimping die. Slowing down and holding the handle down for a 5 count after the shot drop seems to help a lot.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
Alan in Vermont
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

I was quite disappointed with the fit of the DR in the Cheddite tube. NO friction at all between tube and wad, start the wad into a case mouth and once the overpowder section is in the tube you can run it all the way down by tapping the rim on the bench a few times. And it's sloppy soft, limp and way thick in the shotcup section. I think that rubbery quality is what makes it rebound so rapidly if you try compress it before you drop shot, waste of effort, that.

They do seem to have some traction on the roughened walls of once fired hulls.

I saw somewhere that the maker of Downrange wads was lamenting the lack of sales on the DR16. For myself it will be a long while before I will try any other styles from Downrange and, once I use up this first bag of DR16s it will be only out of necessity that I will make a second purchase of those.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

The DR16 wad is great wad for 3/4 and 7/8 oz with out filler , what more could you ask for ? , It can be a little tricky to load at first , but once you figure it out it is quite simple . One thing that I do when the hull looks over full ( column height is to high ) is to go a little slower on the down stroke of the pre crimp and let the pre crimp die push the wad down where it needs to be along with the shot . The dr wad is self adjusting . Also I use alittle more pre crimp than I normally would ( especially on new hulls) with cam adjustment in the middle or a little above .

Unlike most 16ga wads it can be used in both straight walled and tapered hulls with out powder migration issues .