16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Rich Painter - Master Gun Maker - Outstanding L.C. Gun Work
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Recently I was able to acquire a real nice set of early 1913 16 Gauge L.C. Smith Field Grade Barrels from Ken Waite up in New England, for one of my damaged L.C. Smith Field Grade double guns. It took me years to acquire a pristine set of early 16 Gauge Elsie Barrels to put this particular 1913 Field Grade Gun back on line.

I contacted Rich Painter who does most all my L.C. Smith Gun work, and he agreed to preform his Master Gun Making Magic, and fit and finish the 16 Gauge Elsie Barrels that I had acquired from Ken Waite on to the breech work of my early L.C. Smith.

Now for those members of the 16ga Forum who know little about L.C. Smith double guns. This job of installing a different set of L.C. Smith Barrels on a different original breech is not a job for just any gun smith, it take a true Master Gun Maker to accomplish the exacting hand work for final fit up. In reality each early L.C. Smith double gun was made as a stand alone entity, final hand fit and finished required by the Hunter Arms Master Gun Makers at that time. Taking one set of barrels made for another Elsie gun and pain stakingly installing them on a different L.C. Smith double gun breech, is a work of art that few have the experience and talent to accomplish.

When I handed Rich Painter the Gun and told him what I wanted done, his comment was, looks like I will have to work for a living on this Job.

As usual his work on this project is absolutely fantastic, right down to the new Fore-Stock and beautiful checkering. The old Fore-Stock wood had been destroyed, however I had the original Iron which was in very good shape. Rich checkered and finished the new wood to match the original aft-Stock. The old gun is pictured below.

If you have an American Classic double gun, or any gun for that matter, and you need any kind work done on it, I highly recommend Rich Painter - 724-266-0232.

Pine Creek/Dave

The old 1913 L.C. Smith 16 gauge Breech Work with it's original replacement Krupp Barrels and 2 Ivory sight beads, is not for sale.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/51935_600x400/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice !!!

I thought my desk was bad. Laughing Laughing
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

AND there is JOY in the village tonight Very Happy

Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Kudos to you Dave for all you went thru to get her back in service. I'm guessing you'll never get your money out of it but oh the satisfaction!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Thanks much for the nice comments on the restoration. Savage16 is absolutely correct however. Even with Ken Waite giving me a great deal on the high quality 16 Krupp Barrels, and with Rich Painter treating me very decently with the cost for his Master Gun Making skills, the old Field Grade Elsie would probably not bring a sale price that would cover my expenditures for restoration. The payback however is having our old 16 Gauge Elsie Field Gun with it's 30" Barrels back on line, to use in the Pheasant Fields, up along Phoenix Run where we can still shoot Pheasants, Grouse and Wood Ducks on the same outing, when all the seasons over lap, if I can find some 2 1/2" Bismuth 16 Gauge shells, we will make it happen this coming season.

Pine Creek/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

tda003
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:32 am  Reply with quote

I know very little about L. C. Smith shotguns other than how to spell the name and that they're affectionately known as Elsies. However, I know excellent work when I see it and that is just beautiful.

PatrickB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:09 am  Reply with quote

Looks great.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:14 am  Reply with quote

tda003,

If you would like to know more about L.C. Smith Shotguns there are 3 good books to read about them. The original was written by my Grandfathers good friend Billy Brophy, titled L.C. Smith Shotguns, written in 1977. - William S. Trophy, USAR Ret. The 2nd is Bill's Plans and Specifications of the L.C. Smith Shotgun book, published 1981. The Engineering Design/Parts book of L.C. Smith Shotguns.

The 3rd was written by my friend John Houchins in 2006, titled L.C. Smith - "The Legend Lives" Simply a fantastic historical look at L.C. Smith thru the ages. With Pictures of my Great Grandfathers Special Made A4 with Kraus's incredible engraving. John's recovery of our family treasured L.C. Smith/ Hunter Arms double gun, which was gifted to my Great Grandfather by his best friend John Hunter Sr, is now part of written American history.

For John's incredible help in recovering my Great Grandfathers one of kind 20 Gauge E2 with fine Damascus Barrels, and Kraus's Engraved Woodcock and Quail Scenes, John Houchins was gifted soul legal possession of the incredible 12 Gauge A4 by our family. John kept his word not to reveal the A4 story so that our family could continue recovering more of our missing Elsie guns. John's story about what he called the Dead Pigeon Gun is absolutely correct. With the recovery of most all our families L.C. Smith double guns, John finally included the A4 story in the "Legend Lives" book. I am grateful for his friendship thru the years. Rest easy my friend.

Pine Creek/Dave

A picture of the Special Made L.C. Smith A4. Purchase John's "Legend Lives" book and see the incredible close up pictures of some of Kraus's finest light German style Engraving, on one of the finest Side Lock American Classic double guns ever made.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/51937_600x400/] [/URL]

Pictures of the recovered pre 1913 2E with Kraus's Woodcock and Quail Engraving. A one of kind Special Order L.C. Smith 20 Gauge double gun. Rich Painter at the present time is restoring the French Walnut Stocks on this incredible double gun to pristine condition.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/51940_600x400/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/51939_600x400/]

[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/51938_600x400/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:36 pm; edited 8 times in total

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:15 am  Reply with quote

I have 2 LC 12's , one light field , and a Damascus slightly older one . On taking them apart 2 see if a barrel swap could happen , it's apparent it would take a miracle !! 2 completely diff actions - by far . Always appreciate even the smaller jobs these guys do for us !

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:24 am  Reply with quote

Idea Save up some coin and get some engraving on that thing! Restoration is a slippery slope, isn't it? Wink

Anyway, way to go. Good job, and a useful testimonial. Must be nice to shoot!

Thanks,
Tony
Laxcoach1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

In addition to the above-mentioned books, Jim Stubbendieck's "L C Smith Production Records" is a "must have" for serious Smith collectors. It is available on the L C Smith website.
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

if I can find some 2 1/2" Bismuth 16 Gauge shells, we will make it happen this coming season.

Pine Creek/Dave
[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/DSCN2282_zpse6r2hdiv.jpg.html] [/URL]

RST sells 2 1/2" 16 ga bismuth shells with low pressure.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/p/174-16-Ga-2-1/2-Bismuth-Vel-1200-7/8-oz-Box.aspx

if the link doesn’t work go to:

www.rstshells.com

Nice looking shotguns.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago,

Mike I just saw the advertisement for the RST 16 Gauge 2 1/2" Bismuth shells in the latest SSM, thanks for the heads up also! You know I will be placing an order soon, the cost of a Box of shells is a little on the insane side however.

God's Speed Gentlemen,
Pine Creek/Dave

Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Chicago,

Mike I just saw the advertisement for the RST 16 Gauge 2 1/2" Bismuth shells in the latest SSM, thanks for the heads up also! You know I will be placing an order soon, the cost of a Box of shells is a little on the insane side however.

God's Speed Gentlemen,
Pine Creek/Dave

RST will mix a flat of shells. Just ring them up on the phone and tell what you want. Try some of the 2 1/2” 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads in either fibre or Paper. They are really nice folks.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,
You bet I will probably order both before the season starts, hoping for a sale price on their 16 Gauge Bismuth 2 1/2" shells, prior to the season opening.

God's Speed and thanks again,
Pine Creek/Dave