16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  reloading
EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:32 am  Reply with quote

What hulls have the longest life in y'alls experience I hear alot of people say the chedde hulls are really good I'm using federal right now. I would like to use aa hulls but can't find any let me know what y'all think is best I'm still a little green at the shot shell reloading

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:40 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard EC, my very unscientific findings and if splitting hairs regarding hull life, longest to shortest; Fiocci, Win & Herters (Ched), Fed, Rem & threw the Rio's in the trash.

Note* I by and large shoot O/U's & some autos and in the 16ga load on the light side, 5/8-7/8oz, 1oz is max for me.

Although I think most people who visit this blog read all topics, you may find it more rewarding to post these types of questions over in the "Ammunition & Reloading" area.

16'er
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Reminton game loads, the black hulls, hold up about the best. My problem with them is the memory in the crimp is so strong that I find them difficult to reload.

I load federals if I have a choice. Since I shoot mostly factory loaded shells, keeping a supply is not a problem.

Winchester super-X load easy too, but they don't hold up very long.

I have some fiocchi hulls stockpiled, but have not loaded with them so can't comment.

Welcome!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:50 am  Reply with quote

EARL CONFEDERATE

Welcome to the site

Do you shoot clays, hunt, etc?

Mike

EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:22 am  Reply with quote

I shoot clays and target shoot a lot of water filled cans and try to hit them before they hit the ground just a lot of backyard plinking I've found that the 16ga 1oz load patterns better than any shotgun I've ever owned I'm able to pull off some amazing shots with the 16ga that I couldn't with others I discovered this a year ago when I bought my first 16ga. I run beagle hounds and rabbit hunt and ever since I was little I wanted a semi auto shotgun but only had pumps and I did not want to pay $1200 to get a semi auto that could hold up to rabbit hunting , its a lot more down and dirty hand bird hunting maybe more like duck hunting. So I had an older gentlemen at work offer me a Remington sportsman 48 16ga semi auto shotgun with 28" full choke barrel for $150 and I said OK its cheap enough that if I destroy it I'll be OK I didn't even know if they still made shells for 16ga shotguns anymore but I found out thar's a lot of them around. once I shot it I was hooked with 1oz loads I couldn't miss a rabbit and that's what lead me to this point were I love & shoot 16ga so much I now started reloading because I never want to run out and be able to Taylor my loads so I can use the 16ga all my shotgun needs. And that's what I do with the 16ga and how I fell in love with the 16ga

EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I shoot clays and target shoot a lot of water filled cans and try to hit them before they hit the ground just a lot of backyard plinking I've found that the 16ga 1oz load patterns better than any shotgun I've ever owned I'm able to pull off some amazing shots with the 16ga that I couldn't with others I discovered this a year ago when I bought my first 16ga. I run beagle hounds and rabbit hunt and ever since I was little I wanted a semi auto shotgun but only had pumps and I did not want to pay $1200 to get a semi auto that could hold up to rabbit hunting , its a lot more down and dirty hand bird hunting maybe more like duck hunting. So I had an older gentlemen at work offer me a Remington sportsman 48 16ga semi auto shotgun with 28" full choke barrel for $150 and I said OK its cheap enough that if I destroy it I'll be OK I didn't even know if they still made shells for 16ga shotguns anymore but I found out thar's a lot of them around. once I shot it I was hooked with 1oz loads I couldn't miss a rabbit and that's what lead me to this point were I love & shoot 16ga so much I now started reloading because I never want to run out and be able to Taylor my loads so I can use the 16ga all my shotgun needs. And that's what I do with the 16ga and how I fell in love with the 16ga

EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Any body know any good slug loads and buck shot loads and where to get slugs and components for reloading slugs

kipawa jim
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

EARL CONFEDERATE wrote:
Any body know any good slug loads and buck shot loads and where to get slugs and components for reloading slugs
Hey Earl, Go to BPI on line , you can buy slugs, hulls, and roll crimpers. Their slug loading manual is pretty good. Gives you a place to start. Cheers, Jim

EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:22 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the info on the slugs at bpi online I found a slug mould on there I think I'm going to buy because I'm really into traditional muzzleloading as well and I've been planing on building a 16ga southern poor boy style percussion single barrel from track of the wolf or Dixie gun works and this mould at bpi will work for reloading shells and muzzleloaders that's good because I though I was stuck with round balls for both in 16ga thank you for the site info and I'm going to pickup the manual as well.

kipawa jim
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:43 am  Reply with quote

EARL CONFEDERATE wrote:
Thank you for the info on the slugs at bpi online I found a slug mould on there I think I'm going to buy because I'm really into traditional muzzleloading as well and I've been planing on building a 16ga southern poor boy style percussion single barrel from track of the wolf or Dixie gun works and this mould at bpi will work for reloading shells and muzzleloaders that's good because I though I was stuck with round balls for both in 16ga thank you for the site info and I'm going to pickup the manual as well.
That's what I'm here for Earl Laughing Interesting idea with the front stuffer 16 ga. Is it a kit from Dixie?

EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:00 am  Reply with quote

The muzzleloader 16ga will have to be pieced together on my own because they don't actually make a kit in 16ga but I thought about combining parts from track of the wolfs southern poorboy series and Dixie gun works Indian trade gun series and a barrel from rice gun co. I've been studying common guns in the south pre civil war and post revolutionary war mostly 1820-1860 and it turns out a muzzleloading 16ga is one of the most common type of firearms of that time. Here's how it goes with the first being the most common in the south 1.single barrel 20ga 2.single barrel in 16ga 3.single barrel in varying gauges ie 12ga-10ga-28ga and very us other odd gauges like 11ga-32ga-34ga-24ga-13ga and 410 bore but by far the most common two is the 20ga and 16ga 4.is small caliber muzzleloading rifles 45 Cal and smaller 5.is sxs percussion shotgun's of varying gauges but the most common two gauges of the sxs is 10ga and 12ga 6.is percussion pistol's of varying calibers. Thats what I've found in studying firearms of that time in history. Since I love the 16ga I'm going to build that one I'll let you know when I I get all the parts bought and get started on the project. I've built a lot of muzzleloading rifles but this will be my first shotgun build starting with a bare barrel I'll have a lot of soldering to do on the barrel putting on tendonsbead and possibly an under rib wish me luck.

Last edited by EARL CONFEDERATE on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

kipawa jim
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:18 am  Reply with quote

Good luck with your project! Keep us updated with your progress. You seem to know what you're doing, so this should be fun!!

EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I see you're from Canada I don't know your muzzle loading laws up there here in the u.s. there's none for muzzleloaders you can order every thing to the front door for muzzleloaders if you want I can post the parts list and which company I ordered from you can build most muzzleloaders with somewhat basic tools it will take a drill press or drill jig propane torch for soldering wood chisel and plaining tool tap and die set drimil tool for finishing and a set of dial calipers I can tell you the exact cost of every thing after I get it ordered but I'm sure shipping will cost more to Canada here in the u.s. your looking at $600 to $700.