16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth Shot Question
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

I've got #4 Eley in stock and #4 RotoMetals on the way. Same day and free,you can't ask for better shipping. Very Happy Will do a size and weight comparision when it arrives.
High Shooter
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

I just ordered some 5 Bismuth from Rotometals thanks to this thread. I almost spent more from another source because I never even heard of Rotometals before. I will see how it does, if it works well, I'll get some size 4 and 7 too. But an ounce of 5 Bismuth looks like it will make a really nice go-to load in the 16 gauge for a combination of upland and decoy ducks and it will keep my classic 16s in the field with the up and coming non-tox regulations. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I really do appreciate this website.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Got my Bismuth from Rotometalx today,it was ordered Friday. Let the testing begin. I actually ordered 2 lbs. of #1's last night and it shipped today.
TripleH
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

My shipment showed up today as well.

Didn't have time to do anything but open and take a quick look before bed.

Came packed in a small usps box, reinforced on inside with additional cardboard. If you use a blade to open be real careful, the shot is in a heavier duty ziplock bag and takes up just about all the volume of the box. Even standing on end and shaking it down a few times I still almost cut the bag, would have been a fun project cleaning that up.

The exterior of the Bags was also really dirty, I'd put gloves on unless you don't mind your hands coated in dust. Is it graphite or something perhaps?

Cursory glance through the small scoop I looked at showed not a lot of uniformity in the pellets. I seemed to see more than a few ovals, teardrops etc. but this was just a quick eye test before I hit the sack. (After washing my hands). Not sure if this is normal for this product or not. I'm very new to the reloading scene so take my feedback with a grain of salt.

No frangibility testing yet I'm afraid, pretty sure pounding on shot with a hammer in the basement at this hour would have had me sleeping down there.

Realize it's not much in the way of tangible info, but maybe I'll at least save someone from sweeping up a bunch of expensive shot!

Rob
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

Average diameter of a 5 shot sample was .01344 right on the money for #4 shot. Average weight was 2.8 grains per pellet. There were 159 pellets in 437 grains exactly. Did a pliers crush test and no fragmentation but did crack slightly on one side when I really mashed it flat. Can't see where it would be a problem at setback or impact. I've had no problems with Eley when patterning and they crush the same. Most notox except steel has some deformity it seems. That concerns me not in the least. Can't wait to hit the pattern board. And yep their covered in graphite. Laughing
TripleH
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:05 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Most notox except steel has some deformity it seems. That concerns me not in the least.

That's good to know, being my first experience looking at it I really wasn't sure.

Forgot that I also did squeeze a few with pliers, and didn't have either one of them crack, just flatten out a bit.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:45 am  Reply with quote

perused the Rotometals site and decided to try a lb. just for th hey of it . Started the order online and when it got totals , it was 42 bucks with like 24 bucks min shipping . Left the order hanging and they sent a note the following day . The computer listing was screwed up and called them up . Had a good chat and their reg shipping on a LB was 11 bucks . Chewed on them a little about 7 buck usps ship and they alluded to it , but said the 11 bucks was also handling . The order ended up with 7 dollar shipping and was happy they were willing to work ! By the way , they were really interested on feed back , so don't hesitate !

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

FYI- received an email from RotoMetals today. Their bismuth is still priced at $169.00/10lb and they're running a 10% off sale today through 7/14. Code- mid17. Free shipping over $99.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

The #4's pattern beautifully out of both my 16 gauge guns. 1&1/16 oz with Cheddite hull and Asteel powder with 1680 or CSD16 wad is a honest 45yard or a little better load. Remington hull,Universal powder and Sp16 wad (Hodgdon load) with 1 oz is good to 40. Tried #2 shot and it doesn't pattern worth a darn in either of my 16 gauges. It does pattern beautiful in My 12 gauge Ithaca with the full choke tube easy a 50 yard load.Lyman 5th Universal powder load but dropped to 1&16 oz from 1&1/8.

Last edited by Ohio Wirehair on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Remington hull,Universal powder and SG16 wad (Hodgdon load) with 1 oz is good to 40.

Is this supposed to be SP16 wad?? Or did you replicate with the SG?

That was the load (with the SP16) off Hodgdon I was planning to start making up as well, glad to hear you got satisfactory results with it!!

Rob
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Yes,that was with the SP 16 wad. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And yea that was my typo.
STV311A
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
Thx. Here's the actual full writeup i put on my blog with a bit more analysis and goose.loads too
https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/bismuth-shotpayload-size-analysis/

Havent shot any, but.at tbis price it looks much better than steel, and the range and pellet counts in normal payloads are sufficient that it may displace hw13 for me. Well, I suppose it better, as I ordered 30 lbs of it!
Wink

Yeah Dave and it would be even cheaper if you made it yourself. Once you do you will never look back. Then you can make any size you wish. I am so glad I took that step because there is nothing like making your own shot Very Happy

I am here to help if you want to try it.

1stgun
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

I don't want to hijack the thread, but, I have to ask. Back in the '90's when I was loading Bismuth the recipe I was using called for buffer. I never see anyone mention it anymore so is it not recommended anymore? Please advise,

Thanks,
Chuck

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Some do,some don't. The newer stuff isn't as fragile. I used a buffer recipe for the#1 shot in 12 gauge. Didn't see a need with the 16 gauge loads of #4 shot.