16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth recipes?
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 am  Reply with quote

I'm sure someone else will chime in (I hope) but it's been my experience that the SP16 wad and Longshot do not get along in Federal or Cheddite hulls. Big problem with powder migration. RGL hulls would be fine. Been there,tried that,don't wanna do it again. Perhaps 16 Ga Waterfowler will enlighten you,he's a master when it comes to notox loads.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
I'm sure someone else will chime in (I hope) but it's been my experience that the SP16 wad and Longshot do not get along in Federal or Cheddite hulls. Big problem with powder migration. RGL hulls would be fine. Been there,tried that,don't wanna do it again. Perhaps 16 Ga Waterfowler will enlighten you,he's a master when it comes to notox loads.

Way to much powder migration and velocity/performance loss using SP-16 wad and ball type powders such as Longshot in straight wall hulls such as Federal or Cheddite.
Best bet is to use 16 gauge Nitro card or Gas Seal under your SP-16 wad with ball powders. DO NOT use maximum pressure loads, use loads listed at around 9000 psi if your going to use a Nitro card/Gas Seal.
Carlos
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Keep the advice coming. Maybe I'll try the RGLs. I also have some blue BPI cases.
Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

I loaded up an RGL case with win 209 primer, 21 grains of Long Shot, SP16 wad and 1 1/16 oz of Bismuth #5 shot. 1 ounce seemed a bit low in the case so I dropped a few more pellets until it looked right. Weighing the result came to 1 1/16 ounce, exactly between the 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz loads from the non-tox table. The crimp was near perfect.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

That sounds like a nice and easy to assemble load. Are you going to get it tested?
Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

I hadn't planned on testing as it neatly splits the difference between a listed 1 oz. load and the listed 1 1/8 oz. load. It will be awhile before I get to shoot it, so??