16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need 16ga. 2 3/4 7/8oz sporting clays load for 6lbs Fox
big-k
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking for a light target load. Easy on the shoulder if possible. Will be shooting 5lb-10oz Fox. I have lots of Fiocchi hulls and primers. Just need the rest of the load info. Proper wad, wad pressure, powder and amount of powder. I load on a Mec jr It would be possible to make 2 5/8 inch loads by cutting the hulls down if needed? thanks all SXS Ohio.....

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load09-11-09.htm

Also, have you signed up for the FREE Yahoo data??
There is way over 100 loads for your hulls

Oldhunter maintaines that data listing Smile

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/reloading16gauge/

Mike

JNW
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

I would look at 3/4 oz loads using the DR16 wad in that light of a gun. Easy on you and the gun. If you're shooting sporting with a light game gun you're not trying to win tournaments, so a 3/4 oz load will meet your needs admirably. Green Dot, Green or International Clays will all work well. Let us know what you do.
Regards,
Jeff
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

I load Federal and Cheddite with 16 grains of GreenDot DR16 wad and 7/8 oz of shot. I shoot them in my Ithaca 37 and they have very little recoil. Arthritis in my shoulders makes me very recoil sensitive.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:55 am  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20183

read this thread on the reloading spreadsheets. oldhunter moved them to this new site so you don't have to be approved. Follow the link above and read instructions.
big-k
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:55 am  Reply with quote

I opened a Yahoo account and have asked to join the club. I want to thank you all for your help and quick reply. Its summer here in north east Ohio and its time to get shootin and testing loads on my steel plate. I plan to move my loading press up into the garage and focus on reloading for my Fox sterlingworth. It is a very light gun at 5lbs-10oz , has 30" mod/full tubes and is a joy to shoot. This will be my back-up shotgun for our November trip to Kansas for wild roosters and quail. The chokes are .012/.026 and is the norm for mod/full. My hunting partner has a twin to mine with same 30" barrels and factory chokes. We sent them both to Bachelder gun smiths in MI to have the chambers and cones cut to 2 3/4" as we also like to hunt with Fiocchi game loads and hi-velocity 5# shot. I feel that shooting 2 3/4 inch shell in a short 2 5/8 chamber is O.K. but is better to have proper chamber length, makes for better patterns and less felt recoil. We have used the Fiocchi shells for years now and they are death on the roosters! So I have lots of empties to refill. I should have some load data to try by the time the press is moved and ready to go. I own and operate Shooting Stars Firearms LLC and have in stock most powders if not all of them. I hope to have a properly filled and crimped hull with 3/4 to 7/8oz of 7 1/2# that patterns as well as factory 1oz game loads. I will post what I learn...thanks all, SXS Ohio

16'er
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:22 am  Reply with quote

Check out the polywad spreader inserts if you have not already. I have found they work pretty well from limited patterning in my tighter choked guns. Having a stash of those loaded for the bunnies on the sc course might be a good idea..
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Those Golden Pheasant's kick the snot outta me.
big-k
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot GP loads but prefer the HV loads {not copper plated} Only use them when bird hunting....no target shootin. SXS Ohio