16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  HELP! can i fire 2 3/4 in a 2 9/16 chamber 16ga ?
EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Hi I need help I bought a winchester m12 in 16ga it has a 2 9/16 chamber I didn't know and I've been shooting 2 3/4 shells it has not harmed it or bulged it but is it safe for me to keep doing I've fired a lot of hi brass in it and it has not harmed it but is it safe and if not how much dose it cost to have it lengthened and can it be lengthened and is there any were to have it lengthened I can send it in the lower 48 let me in on y'alls chamber length wisdom ?:

fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 am  Reply with quote

As long as you have no problem with shell ejection , I wouldnt worry about it . It may have already been done because most M12s with 2 1/2 chambers won't eject full length 2 3/4" shells if the ejection port hasn't been modified .
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:23 am  Reply with quote

No issues, no problems

If you find ejection of fired hulls an issue, then try Remington Game Loads,
they have a shorter hull.

Mike

p.s. I normally shoot 2 1/2" inch ammo in my model 12s as they work so smoothly and I already have a drilling and a SXS that use 2 1/2" inch ammo. BUT the 2 3/4 Remington ammo also ejects well.

EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:41 am  Reply with quote

It has a 2 9/16 chamber and it dose not have ejection problems so you think I'll be ok Question

EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Is there any were online I can buy 2 9/16 and 2 1/2 inch shells y'all know of that has the best bulk pricing I'd like to get a lot of 2 9/16 if possible. Thank you skeettx for serving our country

fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

Like skeettx said the RGLs are shorter and probably the best value for loaded ammo . RST and Polywad sell 2 1/2 loaded ammo . If you reload you can purchase new primed hulls from BPI and Precision Reloading or cut down 2 3/4" hulls.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx

http://www.polywad.com/vintager.html

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cheddite-16ga-65mm-2-1_2-16mm-brass-primed_skived-bag_100/productinfo/1391665/

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/remington-16-gauge-upland-lead-game-loads-008807307p--1
67galaxie
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

I second the Polywad shells. 25 for $11 isn't bad at all. Keep an eye on the herters shells on cabelas too
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Evidently there are no issues, but if it were me, if the chamber said 2 9/16th inch, I'd shoot 2 9/16th inch shells in it. It isn't that hard to trim them quite nicely with burdogs set-up.
EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:39 am  Reply with quote

I found rst shells by the case $110 for 250 shells I think I'm going to get those they are 2 1/2 inch shells and there moving about 1200 fps that should cycle my autos as well. I want to know from some of y'all that reload 2 1/2 16ga shells what is the best wads to use for 2 1/2 shells and what is the best load to get me back in the 1200 fps + range and do any of y'all think my lee load all will fully crimp 2 1/2 shells since its made for 2 3/4 shells. Sorry if all this has been asked before I'm a little new at shot shell reloading and would like answers from people wiser than me on the subject. I'm very experienced in traditional muzzleloading and building traditional muzzleloaders of all types rifles pistols shotguns so I've sort of been reloading for a long time just not shells or cartridges just single loads one at a time. Laughing

16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 am  Reply with quote

You can probably set a washer or spacer under your crimp station and get a "hardin crimp" using a overshot card.

On my MEC, I just place a over powder card under the final crimp, and it works fine. The pre-crimp station does not contact, but is not needed for my short loads.
EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:16 am  Reply with quote

How about wads what's the best in 2 1/2 16ga shells or is it best to trim a 2 3/4 wad which brand do y'all prefer and what are spreader loads I've heard some about these I would like to know more because most of my 16 gauges are full choke and some times I get in to some tight brush rabbit hunting with the beagles I don't have a problem hitting them it just kinda destroys the meat cause the pellets are still so tight to gather but I figure these spreader shells should help I don't want to open
my chokes up because I'd like to use them for spring Turkey and squirrels at tree top level

Lon
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Earl,

I reload a lot of 16 ga. 2.5" hulls and I use the SG16 wad. It works perfectly with 7/8 oz loads. And depending on the type of powder and how much powder you can squeeze in 1 ounce loads. This works a little better with the SGS16 wad.

I also load 15/16 oz loads with these wads with good results in 2.5" hulls. That 1/16 oz less shot does make a better fit and you don't really lose that much from your pattern.

I buy 2.5" Cheddite hulls and the SG16 wads from Ballistic Products and or Precision Reloading.

BPI calls the wads SG16 and SGS16.

Precision calls them by their real name. The TUWG2116 is the same as SG16. The SGS16 is the same as the TUWG1816

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!c=14&ga=16%20Gauge

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/16-gauge-wads/products/88/

Hope this helps,
Lon

www.lonlauber.com
EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Thank y'all for the info it is greatly appreciated it saved me from having to do a lot of research I'm going to order the wads and I might upgrade to a mec loader because a lot of people here seem to like them I'm going to search this site to see if I can find some info on the spreader shells those sound like they could help me out in tight brush I just wondered if the spreader shells took a special wad or if they can be hand loaded. I'd like to say y'all are very very helpful to me in getting stared in reloading shotshells and helping me to links to find components it has saved me a great deal of time thank y'all for putting up with my questions that probably seem like childs play to y'all. Y'all are the 16ga encyclopedia that's why I'm here God bless you all. Very Happy

16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:52 am  Reply with quote

This is my standard quail load:

7/8oz #8 shot, 16.5 grains Unique, Win primer, One hard over powder card and Two fiberwads in a Federal hull, trimmed.

I top it with either a Spreader "one leg table" or an overshot card, finished with a hardin crimp as described above.

It's a nice "open" load. Be prepared to scrub some lead from your bores.
tdnathens
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:02 am  Reply with quote

(EARL CONFEDERATE) How did you determine your chamber was 2 9/16" ?