16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  the projects
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:50 am  Reply with quote

well , after a while of being ''out there '' , the Davis is resting comfortably albeit a single shot . Have the new spring which is thicker and slightly longer in the short arm . May be able to be worked in . The soft spring is somewhat thinner . After calming it's separation anqiety , I'll probably seek some help .... meanwhile , a throwaway Iver Johnson 12ga single happened along . 30'' full , and with a stock split in about 5 ways (also had a brass 1'' band soldered and pinned around the wrist ) . Got the sleeve off , and working one crack at a time Accra glassed for glue , it's ALMOST ready . The sticker : it won't be fired in my lifetime without a pad . However , the thru bolt is a 1/4 X 24 X 10'' , and needs an 8''with the stock cut . New bolts - good luck . gonna try the cut/weld system 1st and see how it goes . If that doesn't do , a 1/4 X20 coarse thread may get rammed in there once the stock is done and live out it's life that way . (kinda like working on the old Farmall equipt !)... the fUN never stops !!

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:14 am  Reply with quote

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/424180F.htm

Is this close?? You have a Superposed you could try??

Mike

byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Get a piece of 1/4-24 threaded rod from Albany County Fasteners and a 1/4-24 coupling nut. install the rod into the fem threads on the receiver , figure out the length you need, cut and dress the rod end put a 1/4" washer under the nut snug it up with a deep socket on an extension
or
Get a 1/4-20 tap and recut the fine threads install with a little Locktite.
'

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:04 am  Reply with quote

Hey Bill, are you certain on that 1/4-24 thread count? 1/4-28 is the more common "fine" 1/4" thread. Could you drill the relief hole in the stock a little deeper to accept a more common bolt length? McMaster has an 8" 1/4-28 available.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hex-head-screws/=17w3vga

https://www.mcmaster.com/#91257a430/=17w3vi2

Or like BD suggested re tap the hole to 1/4-20 + a dab of blue LT.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:16 am  Reply with quote

BD , Putzie - best we can tell it's between 20 thread and 28 thread . Depending on how long my patience holds out with the kid , I will PROBALY re-tap to 20 thread and get 1/4 X 20 threaded rod . The length of the rod is entirely not important as I will drill the washer hole to length , so the threaded rod is a great way to go ... Or , if I got the thru bolt back , I could cut it to a length and rethread the end to 1/4 X20 and put a lock nut on ... I couldn't navigate the Albany site to where the threaded rod options came up , haven't been able to find that size cut locally anywhere , so will most likely end up 1/4 X 20 . ( I've still got an old outboard in the garage that has a broken tap I can't get out - broke the tap right at the perimeter . Past history sez I'm good at that , so am a little edgy about re-tapping !!)

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Whitworth threads maybe? British Std Whitworth Fine Thread (BSF) for 1/4 inch is 26 threads per inch. Don't know why a Davis would have BSF threads, though. I could swear my old MGA had some 1/4 inch fasteners with 24 TPI, but can't seem to dig that fact up, so they might have been 26. For sure they weren't 20 or 28 TPI.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

And the Springfield O3-A3 used 1/4x25 for the action screws Smile
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Max , the Davis is OK - needs a new mainspring on the left barrel ... it's the Iver Johnson that has a 10'' long thru bolt that needs to become an 8'' long bolt - that's the fun !! you guys have all seen various old guns that have some old dimensions , I call it garage style , sizings that are head scratchers for us that aren't machinists . I recall one of the old gunsmith books telling how to convert a single barrel to a M12 threaded barrel / The threads on M12 AND 97 WEREN'T A STD PROGRAM , but he gave the latitude/longitude settings for the lathe , that would create the correct threads . Easy enough for a machine guy , but not my garage !!

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

the kid was able to cut and braze the original bolt which I now have . Only need to open the hole to fit a washer and glass to the receiver . Then stand back and test fire - maybe Weds . What some people will do for a free gun !!

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

the Iver bolt hole is cut , the stock glassed and mounted , fired - so far , no splinters !! YEE HAW as someone might say !!