16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  grouse loafing pic
swish
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Nice shot fourtrax, I watched a woodcock from about 30 yards every night when I ran the dogs for about two weeks. Watched him dance around then he would take off straight at us then up he would go to start over.
Here is a pic of Mr Bob White. We are seeing more of them around here. I started adding sightings of them into my journal.
[URL=http://s765.photobucket.com/user/swishhunting/media/IMG_3907.png.html] [/URL]
4setters
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, Swish, I knew bobwhites were a traditional southern bird, but southern Canada! Gentleman Bob! Thanks for the pic!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
swish
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hey 4Setters, anytime.
There was a Quail season in the 90,s around the Chatham area, about an hour north of Detroit. I'm not sure when the last Bob was seen or if there are still some around that area.
Habitat loss is sure hard on our wildlife.
Dave
architorture23
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:22 am  Reply with quote

tda003 wrote:
I have a Gordon Setter who will point quail. I suspect she'd point a grouse if the opportunity presented itself. However, where I live in the Southeastern-most corner of Georgia, It's just too hot and humid to safely hunt her. Does anyone here know if there are actually grouse in Georgia? There is a season for them in North Georgia, but I can't find any recent posts from anyone who has hunted them successfully. So that may be like having a sasquatch season.

Just to make it clear, one of the places I take lessons is a hunt club and she has found leftover quail. I can't shoot them, but she seems happy enough to just point them. She once pointed up a tree and it turned out that there actually was a quail up there.

there are some ruffed grouse in N. Georgia, but not very many and it's pretty rough terrain for the slim possibility of a flush.
tda003
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 am  Reply with quote

I think that I may try to find a place for her to point N. Georgia quail. There is likely to be a place she can have some fun. She's not a pup, going on 8 years, although she behaves like one fairly regularly.

And, she's a former show champion that I adopted, but seems to have retained at least some of what Gordon setters were bred for. She loves covering ground close in and will point a quail and last month brought me a fledgling thrush that fell out of its nest before being able to fly. She was very proud. The bird was highly incensed, but was unhurt and well slimed.

I wish that we'd hooked up when she was younger, but I'd like her to be able to find and flush a bit since she seems to really love it.

architorture23
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

tda003 wrote:
I think that I may try to find a place for her to point N. Georgia quail. There is likely to be a place she can have some fun. She's not a pup, going on 8 years, although she behaves like one fairly regularly.

And, she's a former show champion that I adopted, but seems to have retained at least some of what Gordon setters were bred for. She loves covering ground close in and will point a quail and last month brought me a fledgling thrush that fell out of its nest before being able to fly. She was very proud. The bird was highly incensed, but was unhurt and well slimed.

I wish that we'd hooked up when she was younger, but I'd like her to be able to find and flush a bit since she seems to really love it.

south georgia and north florida is still the epicenter of quail hunting. there's plenty of the year where it's perfectly safe for running bird dogs. November thru February is almost certainly fine.

we run bird dogs occasionally when it is around 70 degrees (quail season goes through the end of March in Ga), but we only do it for short amounts of time. Make sure she's got plenty of water.

since she's older and never been hunted, she most likely will give up before she's cooked. the ones you have to be careful with are the stubborn pointers who would literally run themselves into the grave before they'll stop of their own volition.
tda003
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll let her play during the late season. I found a place near me where they release penned quail just prior to the hunt. I'll contact them and see what I can work out.

rudyc
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:44 am  Reply with quote

I guess this one knows where it's safe??

[URL=http://s252.photobucket.com/user/rudycu/media/IMG_3268_zps5e2ed493.jpg.html] [/URL]

fourtrax
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:56 am  Reply with quote

Smart grouse & GREAT pic.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:06 am  Reply with quote

rudyc,

Great picture sir, just fantastic!

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:35 am  Reply with quote

YEEE HAWWW