16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  market for spanish 16's
tda003
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

I appreciate the information. My 28 gauge AyA is pre-90s, gun, but when possible, I'll have it checked it to see if the barrels are well put together. The 20 gauge does have have well regulated barrels and the pattern board results were excellent. While I'm at it, I'll do the same ford the Ugarteheas. I don't know yet which I'll keep, but I will keep one.

As a rank novice, I'm guessing the if there is a barrel problem, its cure would be expensive assuming it could be done.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

tda003 wrote:
I appreciate the information. My 28 gauge AyA is pre-90s, gun, but when possible, I'll have it checked it to see if the barrels are well put together. The 20 gauge does have have well regulated barrels and the pattern board results were excellent. While I'm at it, I'll do the same ford the Ugarteheas. I don't know yet which I'll keep, but I will keep one.

As a rank novice, I'm guessing the if there is a barrel problem, its cure would be expensive assuming it could be done.

You have all these fine shotguns, and you are only going to keep one? It's none of my business, but, why sell any of them? Rolling Eyes

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
artesian01
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

i have been smitten with the spanish ladies for about a decade...I have seen a change in the market in the past few years. All the info you have passed on is true. Just seems to me things have softened in the past few years, not commenting on the past few decades, that I wouldn't know about.
tda003
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, I'm keeping three SxS, one 16 gauge Ugartechea, the 20 gauge AyA no. 2 and the 16 gauge Wm. Ford. I don't need three 16 gauge shotguns when 2 of them are nearly the same. I just won't be using them and I don't want one or more "safe queens". They should be in the hands of someone who will use them.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:23 am  Reply with quote

tda003 wrote:

You are right on target when you pattern test any of your double guns to see how closely they place the center of their patterns in relation to each other. It's something every serious shooter should do. And yes, it's either expensive or not possible to correct the problem. So it's best to learn how to avoid it.

It's something I learned to do after I ended up with a badly regulated O/U. That gun shot the bottom barrel about 8 inches low and to the left of the top barrel. The barrels were unacceptably inaccurate. Fixing the problem to acceptable with this barrel set was not possible. Either the barrels or the gun had to be replaced, and the gun was replaced by the manufacturer only after an overly extended time had passed (almost two years). Even so, I was lucky the company was even willing to do so. Many double gun manufacturers simply refuse to or stone wall you until you give up. It's not right, but it's how it is.

Never again. I now visually examine the barrels on any double for obvious alignment problems and then test shoot the gun to make certain it's an accurate one. If it's a new one that happens to get by my visual examination (hasn't happened in a long time), I would now let the dealer deal with the manufacturer for me. Dealers have more clout than any individual does. If it's a used gun, the seller must allow me to pattern test the gun for accuracy before final acceptance or I simply won't deal with him. I refuse to buy another man's problems. Knowledge is power. Get some and use it. Wink