16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Load of the week, BP
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am  Reply with quote

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/loadoftheweek.htm

Not sure if these have been posted here already in another thread. Sorry if so. Some 7/8oz loads here. The Universal load is quite low pressure. IIRC, BP listed pressures aren't always so easily repeated with independent testing?

Still nice to see them continue to support the 16ga community and develop and publish data for it's reloaders.

I guess the link will go to the default new load of the week, so keep that in mind if you click later and see 3.5" 12ga hyper velocity steel loads in a few days...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Placing filler wads in the base of the shot cup is something many of us have been doing for along time now. So it looks like BP might be a bit late to the party here. Laughing

And in my opinion, going with #7 pigeon shot is a better choice. It fills out a 7/8 ounce pattern much better than #6 shot but gives up little in impact and penetration if ranges aren't extended and the birds being hunted aren't too big and tough. In my experience, a 7/8 ounce load of #7 shot started out at 1275 FPS or faster cleanly and dependably kills young stocked pheasant inside of 30 yards.

I've used this load with great success in the first part of the season here in SE MA where virtually all pheasant hunting is done in stocked fields. In the first part of the season, nearly all the birds are young, tender, and dumb. However, during the last few weeks, the birds get tougher, smarter, and harder to kill. That's when #6 shot and bigger sizes come into play.

When it comes to big, tough, smart old hold over swamp roosters, I'll take the #5 and even #4 shot loads every time. These old birds are among the toughest pheasant I've ever taken bar none.