16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 ga low pressure 2 1/2" recipes needed
SETTER88
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 am  Reply with quote

I have an 1890s Ithaca crass and an army navy 16 ga and need low pressure loads for these guns max psi of 6000. Any info would be great as I'm new to reloading shotshells.

Thanks,
SETTER88
3birddogs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Why the 6000 psi max limit? I shoot many damascus, twist, and laminate barrels--my self-imposed limit is 8000 psi, but am generally under7500 psi or less. It is hard to find many loads that will come in under 6000. The Hogdon reloading site gives 2 excelllent 2 1/2" loads. One uses International, DR16 wad, and 3/4 oz load, the other uses Universal, SG16 wad, and 7/8 oz loads. I use both of these to shoot clays, and smaller game birds such as woodcock and grouse--actually quite a few pheasant also with 7/8 oz of 6's or 7's, Velocity of both those loads is just under 1200 fps

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:20 am  Reply with quote

IIRC, 6000 psi is about the lower limit for shells that go boom instead of bloop. If your barrels are so thin you have to worry about going over 6000 psi, the gun might be ready for retirement. That thin, it'll be quite easy to dent them, probably irreparably.

OTOH, if it's recoil you're worried about, particularly as it might affect the head of the stock (100+ year old wood), then it might be a good idea to take the gun to a good doublegun smith. Have him look at it for structural integrity and, if appropriate, Acraglas it (carefully) to reinforce the head of the stock.

Keep in mind that there is NOT a linear relationship between recoil and pressure. A low-recoil load can have a low, medium or even high pressure. Similarly, a low-pressure load can have a whole range of recoil.

So be sure of what you're trying to fix.

SETTER88
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Im not worried about recoil, the stock on the army navy has been replaced with a newer one I'm sure, its been refinished completely. Ill have to check one of my guns again, the guy I purchased it from said not to go over 6500 psi in it. I forget now what the proof test was. I'm at work ill look this evening. I would like my loads to be between 6000, and 6500. I'm trying to load 1oz loads in a 2 1/2" shell for grouse and pheasant. if its safe to shoot higher I may need to with that 1 oz load. Ive been to hodgon site already.
Thanks