16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Those "other guns": opinions, favorites, etc.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Okay folks let's have a little fun. We all know that Fox, Smith, and Parker have a big following here. However, lets hear some good thoughts on other doubles, side by sides in particular.
I will confess a mild agenda. I may scratch the itch for something new (old actually, but you get the point). Or not. There are some nice guns out there under different names. Baker, Union Armera, Mauser, whatever. Lets hear from some folks with the non-mainstream stuff, and the merits. Go!

67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

I'm still looking for a greener with the greener safety, a hammer baker and a hammer 16. I do love my English guns. W.c. Scott and old webley's. My bernardelli has thumped birds of all sizes too. Edited! I should have read the question better. My favorite is my French manufrance robust 32. Just picked up a nice Alfred Field too.

Last edited by 67galaxie on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I have allways liked Bakers . The 16ga is a gem. NR Davis is also neat.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:25 am  Reply with quote

For the last 11 years I have used a 16 Ga. #2 AyA for bird hunting and couldn't be happier. The 6 lbs 2 oz. gun has double triggers, beautiful wood in a straight stock/ splinter grip configuration and sports 29" barrels.

As many of you know I prefer RMC all brass hulls with pay loads ranging from 7/8 oz. to 1 1/8 oz., which is perfect for mountain grouse, prairie grouse, Chukar and pheasant.

Last edited by jschultz on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:27 am  Reply with quote

The Davis BD is referring to is my namesake here . It was the 1st double and maybe the 3rd gun I ever bought . Have some others , but have never really wanted others . The barrels were not regulated well till after a chop saw fix . The gun has worked well for many yrs , but developed quirks . Trigger pulls went heavy and were adj . Stock cracked right thru the wrist and was fixed , and it developed a FTF habit a couple yrs ago . Has had a few tries to fix this with poor results . What BD isn't saying , he has made a massive effort to work thru the guns foibles , and I'm great full for the effort . I believe he's had to sort of undo things that were done to try to fix the original problems . As of many of the older guns , the gun has a weird , larger drop at the wrist and butt - have a soft monte pad on it which puts my cheek right where it belongs and at the same time , doesn't make the drop at the butt seem weird . I could have bought a 2nd hand set of barrels yrs ago , but felt that fitting them may create a problem with the original barrels (in my head), so didn't bite . I can't say if this gun has been an over or under achiever , but I think I've had it forty yrs or so now and it's been overdue for someone with some double knowledge to TLC it - thanx BD !! (putzie has some knowledge about these also , so he may chime in )

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:29 am  Reply with quote

I have used a 16 Ga. #2 AyA for bird hunting for the last 11 years and couldn't be happier. The 6 lbs 2 oz. gun has double triggers, beautify wood in a straight stock and splinter grip configuration and sports 29" barrels.

As many of you know I prefer RMC all brass hulls with pay loads ranging from 7/8 oz. to 1 1/8 oz., which is perfect for mountain grouse, prairie grouse, Chukar and pheasant.
steve f
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I'm partial to vintage German guns. A lot of the older German 16s are lightweight with longer barrels and good stock dimensions. Price is usually way below an English gun of equal quality.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:15 am  Reply with quote

The Bakers intrigue me. Unfortunately, the odds of seeing one where I live is about nonexistent. Lively handling gun? A tad heavy or fairly light? Or do they vary a lot?

sneem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

I love my 16 Sterlingworth, but have to admit my 28 Ugartechea sidelock is a very close second. I lucked out on the wood and it is a beautiful little gun. Price was right too. I was sad to see them close shop earlier this year, but very glad I got mine.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

If you'll allow guns not bought, I passed on a Belgian 16 that looked like a Greener copy with crossbolt and side safety. It was under a grand and I was able to afford it at the time. Not super regretful, but really, I should have bought the thing to try out at least.

tda003
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

I have two that I'm quite fod of: the William Ford boxlock and my Ugartechea 257.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

I like my Manufrance Robust # 3 sxs, 26" barrels, 5lbs, 13oz's, fixed IC & Mod chokes, 16 ga 2 1/2 chambers.

Straight stock, splinter forend.

I would imagine GilS might chime in about his fondness for French shotguns. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:35 am  Reply with quote

Dale, it's not just French guns. I also have a fondness for American, English, and Italian ones, too. Wink Gil
P.S. Have a few Turkish and Russian that I am fond of.
Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

A 16-gauge double I don't use too often, but holds a spot in my heart is my straight-gripped Husqvarna 310ASE. Made an honest 55 yard shot on a disappearing pheasant with a #5 Remington Express in the tight choked left barrel. By the next time I was at my gun club, the tellers of that story had doubled the distance of that shot!

A 16-gauge double I regret not buying was a high condition Baker Model 1897 hammer gun, that Ivory Beads had at, I believe, the last Vintage Cup at Sandanona.

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Researcher wrote:
By the next time I was at my gun club, the tellers of that story had doubled the distance of that shot!

Sounds like you joined the right club!