16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Those "other guns": opinions, favorites, etc.
67galaxie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

I think my French 16 is probably my favorite.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:37 am  Reply with quote

SxS's have been an enduring, alluring enigma. I appreciate both historic pedigrees, and lesser knowns that are just unique with a high cool factor. That said, the litmus test is always how well I hit with them. That's why I can never buy into a set genre, because no matter how much I like the gun's aesthetics, if they are a struggle to shoot well, they hit the road. Right now, even though the gun has driven me nuts with some forend issues and now a detached lug Crying or Very sad, the 16 gauge double that both jives with my shooting style and gives me enough pride in ownership to go on is my '60 Beretta Silver Hawk. It has a scaled frame with some pleasing contours. The engraving isn't world class, but I like it. It's a basic boxlock extractor, yet it has the luxury front articulated trigger with sweet pulls. The wood on mine is straight grained and unremarkable, but pleasing enough to me just the same. The very best thing about it is that it just seems to "get on" and deliver the shot effortlessly. Better than it should based on my track record with SxS's.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I wish I had bought a Silverhawk or two before Beretta reintroduced them. They were selling for $400. Passed on the 10 ga. model for $900. Boy those decisions bit me in the butt. Same with the Ithaca N.I.D. 10 ga. magnums I could have bought under a grand. I wanted one pretty bad until I found out they weighed 11 pounds. I was aware that less than 900 were built too. I guess that is part of being a hunter and not a collector.

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

WC,
I bought a 1938 Ithaca NID 3.5" 10 ga. back in the late 1970's from Thad Scott an old gun dealer from Indianola, MS, for around $750-$800 when 10's were the gun of the moment for wild turkeys. I got tired of lugging it around and sold it to a buddy over 30 years ago. I spent the next 25 years begging for it back. About 3.5 years ago, I swapped my Benelli SBE straight up for it with my buddy and got all of my old reloading equipment for the 10.
We were both happy with that deal. 32" f/f barrels, ejectors, at 11 lbs. (unloaded). Gil
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

My '60 Beretta Silver Hawk.

Dave, I can feel the admiration and emotion in your description of your Silver Hawk. I have a 1965 model but in 12 gauge. I feel the same about mine. If my V Sarasqueta wasn't in my possession, my Silver Hawk would occupy that spot. It has also been a trusted harvester over many years. 20 years ago, I used to hunt snowshoe hares and run my beagles every SAT morning from Dec-Mar with my cousins and that Silver Hawk was carried on every hunt. Those were good times.

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Here is my old NID 10 with 2 7/8 chambers

Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Grousepointer, I'm glad to hear you enjoy what I'm enjoying! Maybe I'll take mine out with my beagle running buddy, Blackbelt this winter. I've never seen so many cottontails around here this summer.

Last edited by double vision on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar, I saw a 10 gauge Silver Hawk just across the river in a shop in Winona, MN not long ago. It was in great shape and very reasonable at something under $1200. I'm on a gauge diet and sticking to just 12's and 16's these days, otherwise it was tempting!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

That is an outstanding buy. I have my San Marco O/U 10 ga. though and it gets along very well with me or I would be tempted too. 32" barrels and 9 lbs. Not bad for a 3 1/2" chambered gun. Long forcing cone job tames recoil fairly well. When the chips are down and sharp tails are flushing wild, it does get diverted from waterfowl duty once in a while. Clean results a long way out.

canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:06 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
When the chips are down and sharp tails are flushing wild, it does get diverted from waterfowl duty once in a while. Clean results a long way out.

I have had my eye out for a 8-9 pound 10 gauge SxS for exactly that purpose. Not first on the list but I'm still looking for the right gun at the right price.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

i did "bite" on one of the "other" guns described here and it is a 16. Should have it in a few days, until then...

canvasback
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:11 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
i did "bite" on one of the "other" guns described here and it is a 16. Should have it in a few days, until then...

Sounds interesting....hope you'll share pics here.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

It looks like I am a Baker boy now. Pics in gun section.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Some ggod 16 ga. SxS options based on my experience listed by price point low to high:

1) AyA Matador 2) Beretta Silver Hawk 3) Merkel 1620

Of these three, I shoot the Matador the best even though it is less expensive by quite a margin (or used to be when I bought it). It's a bit heavier than the other two by a 1/4 pound or so, but it points and swings for me like it was custom made/fitted. If I had to pick one gun to carry in the field, it would be my Mattie. Any bird up within 40 yards is in deep doggie doo when the Mattie is swinging their way.

The Silver Hawk is built like a bank vault and it's light enough for me at about 6.5 pounds. It handles okay as well, but it kicks like a mule with any load over 7/8 ounces. Even 1150ish FPS 1 ounce loads rattle my fillings. Don't know why. There is nothing about the bores that jumps out at me. Some guns just kick and that's all I guess.

The Merkel 1620 is the most expensive one by quite a margin. It's also built like a bank vault. It's the best looking of the three, handles very well, and carries pretty easy. It's the lightest one of the three, but kicks noticeably less than the Silver Hawk with any load. Shouldn't be, but there it is.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

16GG, that's interesting because I've had the exact opposite experience. My Silver Hawk is 6.5 pounds, but it's strangely the softest recoiling double I have ever owned in this weight class. I hardly feel 1 oz loads. My old Merkel 1620 kicked hard, but it was 6 1/8 pounds. Regarding my Silver Hawk, it must fit me well because not only is a light kicker, it shoots so natural and easy for me. Member Black Belt also noticed the light recoil when he shot it. Just goes to show every shotgun is a law unto itself.