16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pierced Primers in 16 ga Black Hull Remington Game Loads
JoseBob
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

I have had several pierced primers occur in 3 or 4 boxes of the RGL's. I did a search, but could not find any info... This occurs with 4 different 16's that I have. The shots are still accurate, but show a black primer. These are factory shells not reloads...
Any help appreciated.... Thanks.... Bobby

Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Remington changed their Game Load primers a while back, at least they are a different color. Have no idea who is making them.

Since then I have seen shells with pierced primers from 3 different boxes of 16ga. Game Loads in the past year and picked up a 16ga. Game Load hull in Kansas while pheasant hunting last winter that had a pierced primer. One box had almost half of the primers pierced.

Won't shoot them in my guns, don't want to burn the ends off of my firing pins.

Have no idea if this is a problem with the other gauges or just the 16.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

I get about 1 out of 10 pierced primers with my Ithaca 37 and one once in a while in the left barrel of my Springfield, both are 16 gauge of course. Not a bit of a problem with reloads and Win. 209 primers. When my current stock is gone no more new RGL'S for this old man. I like Federals better anyway.
Griffon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:32 am  Reply with quote

Had numerous pierced primers with RGL. Also had boxes with two different types of primers in the same box.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Pierced primers on RGL's seems to be gun specific in my 16 ga arsenal. The guns piercing primers tend to have more firing pin protrusion than those without the problem. My RGL's don't exhibit any pierced primers when reloaded with genuine Remington primers, so I'm pretty sure the factory is using some cheapo primer to sell them to the masses as cheaply as possible.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:56 am  Reply with quote

It looks like Herter's 16's just got more valuable.

wellshooter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Same problem here. I quit buying them. Herters doesn't do that.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
JoseBob
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Well I guess it is good to know that I am not the only one that is having this problem.
Does not solve the problem though... Are they ok to shoot or do I harvest the components, pop the primer (or gently try to remove it loaded) and then reload the hulls? I only have about a box and a half left. Hate to waste ammo....

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Pierced primers can result in pitted and eroded firing pins that will lead to other problems such as hard opening and eventually misfires. The only solution then is firing pin replacement. If you have several 16 ga's as a lot of us do, you could see if the problem is isolated to just a few guns and then relegate the RGL's to the guns that don't pierce primers. Breaking them down to salvage components seems a bit severe to me.

JoseBob
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Been out of town and just got back... Think Ill just put these away and use them last... Probably the best choice...
Thanks again.... Bobby

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:
"Remington changed their Game Load primers a while back, at least they are a different color. Have no idea who is making them..."

A few years ago, we were having FTF issues with some of the newer lots of Remington 16 ga ammo. Most likely, and based on my own observations, the problem came from excessively hard primer cups and not the guns used to fire the loads . Most likely, the latest problem is being caused by overly soft primer cups and not the guns again. It looks like the problem has gone from one extreme to the other. It's discouraging IMO.

I've known that Remington has been sourcing out most if not all their components for well over a decade. Typically, the primers they've been using are industrial grade and are not available to the public. Obviously, the sources change based on the price and so does the quality. And obviously, not always for the better.

There was a time when Remington had a firm control over the quality of their ammo. They produced most if not all their components and did a considerable amount of QC/QA testing at their facility in Ilion, NY. I know because I witnessed them doing so on one occasion when I visited their plant on an unrelated matter in the mid 1980's.

Obviously, things at Remington have gone south. Not too long ago, Remington laid off some 122 employees from the Ilion facility and 39 others from Huntsville, AL. There are a bunch of reasons sited why. Politics, the economy, a softening market for guns and ammo, etc. But to me the main reason why Remington's ammo quality has gone badly south is because they have lost control of the quality of the components they source out. What a damned shame.

Thankfully, I have a very good working solution to this problem. I reload. 'Nough said.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

I've had the same problem with my model 90.
Figured I cleaned to much old gunk, from the pin channels and springs. That would cause an older gun to do such.
But, doesn't happen on Federals...... Soft primers I suppose.
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Square Load wrote:
"Remington changed their Game Load primers a while back, at least they are a different color. Have no idea who is making them..."

A few years ago, we were having FTF issues with some of the newer lots of Remington 16 ga ammo. Most likely, and based on my own observations, the problem came from excessively hard primer cups and not the guns used to fire the loads . Most likely, the latest problem is being caused by overly soft primer cups and not the guns again. It looks like the problem has gone from one extreme to the other. It's discouraging IMO.

I've known that Remington has been sourcing out most if not all their components for well over a decade. Typically, the primers they've been using are industrial grade and are not available to the public. Obviously, the sources change based on the price and so does the quality. And obviously, not always for the better.

There was a time when Remington had a firm control over the quality of their ammo. They produced most if not all their components and did a considerable amount of QC/QA testing at their facility in Ilion, NY. I know because I witnessed them doing so on one occasion when I visited their plant on an unrelated matter in the mid 1980's.

Obviously, things at Remington have gone south. Not too long ago, Remington laid off some 122 employees from the Ilion facility and 39 others from Huntsville, AL. There are a bunch of reasons sited why. Politics, the economy, a softening market for guns and ammo, etc. But to me the main reason why Remington's ammo quality has gone badly south is because they have lost control of the quality of the components they source out. What a damned shame.

Thankfully, I have a very good working solution to this problem. I reload. 'Nough said.

Sounds like a goldielocks problem, all my rgls are the older variety. Hopefully they get it sorted out...