16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Green Remington hulls
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Why is it folks seem to prefer the RGL's over the green hulls? I've found the green last longer then the black. Precision gets in both,the blacks run out in a few days the greens stick around awhile.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

I think the reason is because the black RGL hulls are far more common, easier to find, and cheaper to buy once fired than the green Express hulls. The RGL factory loads are significantly less expensive as well. As far as loading them, there is no difference in ballistic performance.

At one time the Green Express hulls (w/ plastic base wads) made prior to about 2000 seemed to last a bit longer then the black RGL hulls of the same era. But the black ones of that time also lasted longer than the new RGL hulls by quite a bit.

The farther back these RGL/Express hulls were made, the longer they seemed to last. I have a box full of both the 6 and 8 point black RGL hulls made in the mid to late 1980's no long after they replaced the old fiber based hulls. These older RGL hulls often lasted up to five or six reloadings but rarely less than three.

The difference between the oldest and newest RGL/Express hulls is like night and day. In comparison to the older ones, the newest ones are junk due to the constant economizing they've been subjected to over the years.

I use the new RGL hulls now only because I have accumulated a considerable stash at no cost. They are all once fired discards I picked up over the past five or six years for free. I load these new RGL hulls until the mouths split (often just once, sometimes twice, but very rarely more than three times) then toss them. Just how it is now.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

No such thing as once fired discards in 16 gauge around here. Actually of the 3 clubs I frequent I've never seen another 16 gauge shooter. When folks see me with one they often ask, Why?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
No such thing as once fired discards in 16 gauge around here. Actually of the 3 clubs I frequent I've never seen another 16 gauge shooter. When folks see me with one they often ask, Why?

It's an unusual situation to be sure. Fortunately, I had three fellow members at my now past club who hunted w/ 16 ga semi-autos (one old Browning Model 5, and two old Remington Model 11s). Every year for about five years, beginning around the last week of September on through early December, these other 16 gauge shooters would usually show up every Sunday morning, shoot two or three lines each, and leave anywhere from 100 to 250 once fired RGL hulls on the ground.

Of course in the beginning, I asked the shooters and the range officers about the discards to be polite, but nobody cared. I was the only guy there who reloaded 16 gauge ammo. Whatever ended up on the grass was mine for the taking. All I had to do was pick them up or search through the discarded hull buckets at the end of the day. It didn't take long to end up with a bunch. Over that five years or so, I filled several large cartons full. I'm still working my way through them.

Like I've already said, I'd rather be lucky than smart. But it also helps not to be stupid enough to pass on a gift like this. Momma raised no fools. Very Happy
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

The black plastic is recycled the green is new resin.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/