16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Thoughts on a 16 Gauge Dickinson SxS
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Anyone have one of these? Likes / Dislikes?

Anyone have one with a Single Trigger that they want to sell?

Would prefer Pistol Grip or English stock to a POW and 28" over 26", but I am flexible if the price is OK and it has a single trigger and screw in chokes.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
big-k
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 am  Reply with quote

I bought a Dickinson Estate 410...it a very nice shotgun. Point of aim is almost perfect. This says a lot for quality of their guns. It also has the removable choke tubes, true bone case colors and strong ejectors. I bought the gun used and saved about 1/3 cost of new. I like it. SXS Ohio

Cheesy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Dad bought one a few years ago. We both like it a lot. Works good on wild roosters...

[/code]
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:54 am  Reply with quote

I have decided to go the Custom Order route so I can get it just as I want it. 5-6 month wait though.

Bob

bamboozler
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 am  Reply with quote

rkittine wrote:
I have decided to go the Custom Order route so I can get it just as I want it. 5-6 month wait though.

Bob

Was exhibition quality wood an available option?
canvasback
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 am  Reply with quote

These guns have been discussed a lot over on the Double Gun forum. The general consensus seems to be a hell of a gun for the money but watch the trigger pulls. Some are perfect and some are very heavy. Apparently just the luck of the draw. Those who have had heavy pulls have said the problem was rectified by sending the gun to a good trigger guy.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

I bought what we believe to be the first custom ordered Dickinson a few years ago in exactly the configuration you mention. 16 ga, 28"barrels with screw-in chokes, single trigger (non-selective), semi-pistol grip stock (POW), and semi-beavertail fore end. The factory gave me a gratis wood upgrade that resulted in a spectacular gun. It came in at 6 pounds 10 ounces and the triggers are great. I'd post pictures, but haven't gotten past that Photobucket surprise yet. I truly love the gun and the custom dimensions work very well. I think it was right at $1900, which I don't consider too bad for a custom gun. The only issue I have with the gun is on our annual Alabama bobwhite hunt, I found myself walking along admiring the way the sunlight brought out the fire in the wood grain instead of paying attention to my dog's hunting. I can probably get past that one flaw. PM me your E-mail address and I'll get you some pictures if you want to see it.

grouser47
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

No experience with the Dickenson -- like the lines of them. I did buy a a S&W Gold Elite when they were clearing them.. Thought they were well built -- Only problem was that the published spec measurements were way off. No way was the drop measurements even close.
Cheers, John

67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 pm  Reply with quote

Great guns but as mentioned they and a lot of huglu guns have heavy trigger pulls. 10-12 lbs sometimes. Getting them down to 3.5 and 4 is easy for a good gunsmith
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:06 am  Reply with quote

I have a 28ga on order. It is an Estate with 24" barrels semi pistol grip stock and wood upgrade, splinter forend. I have had a lot of trouble with communication from the manager. Slow to return messages and incomplete answers to questions,etc. I like to be treated like a customer not an annoyance.
I own a 16ga version of the same gun but with a straight stock. Very good looking , very well built. very deadly on the flush.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
rkittine
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:30 am  Reply with quote

The Estate 16, the way I want it, with no special upgrades, is currently $2,145.00 and they expect a 5-6 month wait. I have heard that from their custom shop they typically upgrade the wood and work the trigger. We will see.

Bob

byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:00 am  Reply with quote

I was originally told a six month wait. New info from the factory is shipped by mid Oct. or 8 months by then.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
rkittine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 am  Reply with quote

Direct from the custom shop, they wanted 100% non-refundable deposit in advance. Though the dealer I found, only 50% deposit. For 5-8 months I would rather not tie up 100% of the cost, especially considering the uncertainty of politics in the region.

Bob

byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Bob who is the dealer? I am curious as I might order yet another one. I dont like dealing with the guy in California and I also dont go for the 100% deposit thing either. I do like these guns though. Looking at the sidelock Prestige version.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:25 am  Reply with quote

When I bought my custom Dickinson 16 ga, they wanted 100% deposit for the gun. My previous experience on custom guns had been with Mark DeHaan ordering SXS's and Lion Country ordering a custom Ugartechea 16 ga model 257. 50% deposit or less was pretty much standard with those firms, but I'd been wanting a 16 ga Dickinson with the POW stock and single trigger for so long, I didn't hesitate to write a check for the full cost. You just have to decide whether you want the gun or not. Also, when I ordered my gun there obviously wasn't any backlog and I got it in about 3 1/2 months.