16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  O/T: Informal Biathlon?
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:07 am  Reply with quote

Does walking the sporting clays course instead of riding in a cart count? I am one of the few people around here that walks the course at sporting clays shoots and I get around just as fast as the cart gang. I usually get to the next station in time to see the squad in front of me shoot the station.
Most clubs frown on the idea of people running the course. They want to make money renting out carts! Razz

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Byron Whitlock wrote:
They want to make money renting out carts! Razz

Your club must be in the high rent district - the ranges I frequent have never heard of anyone doing anything but lugging their bag of ammo & stuff on their shoulder as they walked from station to station. Probably like the golf courses about 50 years ago where people actually walked from hole to hole - with the "rich" guys hiring a caddie to carry their clubs. Smile
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

At any of the sporting clay clubs I have been to in Kansas and Missouri the majority of the people bring their own carts that cost more than the vehicle that I drive to get there. My local club has two courses that are not spread out too much so walking them is easy but most people these days are either too lazy to walk or they say they don't have time to walk the course! Confused

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
tda003
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:36 am  Reply with quote

I used to have my own cart. Then my chauffeur quit.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Griffon,
It somehow starts out as a "pleasant day in the woods", but due to the uncanny abilities of one or another of my hunting partners, I find myself slogging back to the truck in the dark, dragging my shotgun on the ground behind me while my buddy says..."I'm sure the truck is just around this bend, I remember that pothole."

I do think a wintertime, on skis, sporting clay course would be really cool. Or a varying range .22 course in the woods on skis....either would be very challenging.
Interesting ideas..

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 am  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
Griffon,
It somehow starts out as a "pleasant day in the woods", but due to the uncanny abilities of one or another of my hunting partners, I find myself slogging back to the truck in the dark, dragging my shotgun on the ground behind me while my buddy says..."I'm sure the truck is just around this bend, I remember that pothole."

I do think a wintertime, on skis, sporting clay course would be really cool. Or a varying range .22 course in the woods on skis....either would be very challenging.
Interesting ideas..

I don't think I've ever even heard of a winter ski sc course. I did some cross country skiing when I was younger around Mt. Bachelor when I was living in Bend, Oregon. Cool idea!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:44 am  Reply with quote

I believe that Chicago, who posts regularly, used to be a competitive biathalon shooter. He could probably give you some good advise.

I get funny looks when I walk the SC courses also, but I prefer to walk. I used to be a fairly competitive marathon runner, so no big deal

equin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Waco Tactical Fitness in Waco, Texas offers its WTF Biathlon on foot (as opposed to cross country skiing).

https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/biathlon

And there's also the Pecos Run and Gun near Pecos:

http://www.pecosrunandgun.com/

Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, I hope you find the strenuous exercise and shooting/ possible fishing opportunity you seek! I, on the other hand, will take the less vigorous approach of walking behind dogs rabbit and quail hunting with the hammer gun you let me have. I am taking Griffons advice and am walking everyday so I don't croak. Hopefully I won't tip over and need to be defibulated.
I guess we all need to move and shoot as much as possible.
Maybe a 17 mile grouse hunt .... If it was all down hill! Well, maybe not!

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Beagleman wrote:
Mark, I hope you find the strenuous exercise and shooting/ possible fishing opportunity you seek! I, on the other hand, will take the less vigorous approach of walking behind dogs rabbit and quail hunting with the hammer gun you let me have. I am taking Griffons advice and am walking everyday so I don't croak. Hopefully I won't tip over and need to be defibulated.
I guess we all need to move and shoot as much as possible.
Maybe a 17 mile grouse hunt .... If it was all down hill! Well, maybe not!

Glad to hear you're getting out. That is the most important thing. Enjoy! Very Happy

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Now we could revive the idea of the Downeast driven hunt at the gravel pit. We all stand still ,(dogs can run if they want or just eat biscuits), drink coffee, keep each other in awe with our great hunting ability stories, and wait to see what comes over the edge.

Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Just curious if anyone here has participated in a biathlon? I've always wanted to, but now that I'm in my 50's, it doesn't seem realistic given the time required to train, etc. So, I thought it might be fun just to set up my own course in a remote area, strap a 22 to my back and jog through the woods to see how I do. Of course, safety would be a concern, but after that's figured out, it seems like it would be a blast, pun not intended.Rolling Eyes Anyone have any experience with this?

I have done a boat load of XC skiing and I raced in competitions until I was in my early 60’s. I tried biathlon on a course near Marquette, MI, but never entered a biathlon competition. I am a pretty good rifle shot and trying to shoot with your pulse rate up is a real challenge. The pros actually shoot between heartbeats. There is also a course at Miller XC trails near Eagle, WI and there is a club that trains there.

Anymore I just XC ski for enjoyment.

Here is a link to the U.S. Biathlon site. It will give you a good overview and you can probably contact them to find a course in your area. They may let you jog a course and shoot in the summer, not sure. The targets are quite small, I can tell you that. In a competition for every target you miss you have to ski a short penalty lap.

http://www.teamusa.org/us-biathlon

Good Hunting,
Mike
JNW
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

There is summertime biathlon either on foot or on mountain bikes. There is even an air gun event with special biathlon air rifle repeaters.

https://www.pyramydair.com/search-results-ext?Ntt=Biathlon+&sid=1375A617A415&N=0&Ntk=primary&q=Biathlon+&cx=002970863286801882398:jlcminxfwdw&cof=FORID:11;NB:1&saSearch

I'm partial to the Feinwerkbau.

Here's the ultimate .22lr biathlon rifle.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=FIBIAN

Every year of the Winter Olympics these sell out all over the world within days and it takes over a year to build any inventory up. They're hand built one at a time in Fortner's shop in Germany. I want a Fortner action rifle for no reason other than they're cool. Unfortunately, they are over $3k and that's a bit much for a .22 to plink with.
Jeff
jrothWA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

GO For it/
For four and a half years I worked @ Boeing {Everett, WA] and I go invilved with the WA Biathlon association, they have a website.

Start taking long walks and climbing a lot of stairs, to build up endureance.

when you feel comfortable, start jogging around a standard H.S. track. the minimum distance for corse are 7.5KM about 5 miles.

So start faaast walking for two laps and rune two laps working you e]way to running four lap _ one mile and add on to that.

As for rifles they are expensive but occasionally deals are found.

PM for additional feedback / questions. JHR