16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Disappointing patterns new sweet 16
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 am  Reply with quote

I hope Browning finds out what the problem with your gun and patterning is and steps up to make it right.

I know it the past, when a gun would function with one or two brands of factory ammo, they would simply advise an owner with a problem to shoot that ammo and return the gun without any corrections. I speaking of failure to feed issues with autoloaders like the browning gold. I had a Gold Upland Twenty that was picky. Would feed AA's and STS fine, was spotty on Federal Game Loads, and refused to shuck any of the cheap loads. After considerable research and reading others experiences with browning service, I replaced the mainspring and did some tuning myself. was a nice gun, but just could never feed it a cheap diet. Was my ex-wifes gun, Oh well, she took the gun with her, so no longer my problem... Wink

This was before Browning had their own branded ammo. Now they may decide that Weatherby's style guarantee is a good idea???

I wish you luck, and please keep us posted as to results. Having issues with a new gun just as bird season is coming in is very frustrating...
Bill K
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I am a big believer in patterning.

I've patterned more loads than all of my friends combined times ten.

The one thing I've learned is the gun determines what load it likes best.

Some guns will pattern the same load from different manufacturers differently - go figure.

The size of shot has its contribution to this dynamic too, one load of 6's will pattern differently than the same load with 4's.

Most shooters consider patterning to be a waste of time and money, I consider it part of the shooting experience and the only way you'll truly learn the sporting arm.

Then there are some shooters who don't pattern because they don't like what the paper tells them.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Bill K,
I agree with you 100%, the gun ends up choosing the shells it likes to pattern best with, and like you I pattern my guns with different sells to test exactly what the pattern is and how well it repeats. My L.C. Smith double guns love the new 2 1/2 SpredR loads and from the looks of it the J.P. Sauer 16 is going to work real with them also.

Pine Creek/Dave
http://jpgmag.com/photos/3862672

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Quailbuster wrote:
Shipping it back to browning this week.

This.
a few years ago, I ordered a new factory 30" barrel for my 20g AL391 from Midwest. Choke tube/bore was visibly misaligned, so I sent it back unfired for a replacement. The replacement arrived, and looked fine, so I mounted it and shot a round of 5-stand. Did absolutely terrible, and the targets I hit were chipped. Went to the patterning board, and POI was 18" low at 25-30 yards. A buddy had the same barrel, so I swapped his and shot a pattern - dead nuts. Sent that barrel back to Beretta, and they sent me one that shot straight.
Hopefully Browning makes this right for you.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Choke misalignment is a possibility for sure. I am surprised it happens with piloted tooling, but can.

My 10 ga. O/U shot way low and to the side when I bought it, but only the lower barrel. Top barrel shot straight. It was a fixed choke gun and needed the chokes opened up a bit for steel shot anyway so I carefully reworked the parallel section in the bottom barrel in stages until it shot dead on. 20 minutes of careful handwork solved the problem and allowed me to keep what is the best long range waterfowl gun I have ever owned.

With choke tubes, this would be a different ball game and not worth custom grinding an entire set of tubes.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:27 am  Reply with quote

think of it this way ... if you bought a new , off the shelf rifle and whatever cheap ammo at the store , would you expect those sub minute groups . You need to find the ammo the rifle likes , tweak the inletting some and voila . Grew up on 12ga M97's . All would shoot one of the major ammo slugs perfect . Not all of them . If it shot Feds great and none of the others within 12'' , you didn't send the gun back , you were ecstatic that you found the perfect load . Most shotguns will be fairly static in what they shoot - some not . I have a straightened LT870 barrel that defies shooting 2 shots in a row to the same spot . some loads you can feel it flex . The fact that your gun shoots some loads nicely and not others speaks to that barrel .

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Well, if the rifle group shifted 6-8" at 25 yards...it would go back. The bottom line is that this is pretty out of the norm for even a shotgun. Liking a some loads and not others? Certainly. But this major of a shift of impact, especially a lateral one, is a deal breaker. I have never seen one that serious in any scattergun I owned.
The aforementioned 10 ga. had problems, but it shot that way with every load. Same with the turd pile Tristar .410 that impacted half a pattern low; it did so with any load.

Quailbuster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Just got around to sending this thing back to browning. Will update later on.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Move the front sight?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Bend the barrel is the traditional fix
Mike

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Would have been interesting if you could have found somebody close by to swap the barrels with and repeat the experiment

Quailbuster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Ok guys, browning did me right. They sent me a brand new sweet sixteen. I'm actually stunned. Very happy. Can't wait to get and pattern it.
dap
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Quailbuster wrote:
Ok guys, browning did me right. They sent me a brand new sweet sixteen. I'm actually stunned. Very happy. Can't wait to get and pattern it.

Did they say if they shot it and reached the same conclusion? (That 1oz patterned fine but 1.125 oz patterned poorly).
Quailbuster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

No. There was no communication. Just a new shotgun on my doorstep.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Quailbuster wrote:

Let use know how this one works out