16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The Tale of the Davis
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 am  Reply with quote

I'm an afficianado of old guns , even have a civil war 16ga caplock . The Davis was my 1st double ever . 16ga m/f that wouldn't shoot the full in the same county . After talking to some SMITHS , got the chop saw out and is now C/C . And shoots mainly to the same place . Stock was cracked heavy at the wrist , and an old guy(stock fixer) fixed it to invisible . Many pheas down ! A few yrs ago , developed very heavy trigger pulls (14#) . Had a local smith fix it to 3.5# - NICE !! . A few yrs after that , ftf's - left barrel . Have had Turnbulls take 3 shots at it - no good . Had mentioned it here , and Byrdog vol"d to fix it . Sent it to him but really was trying to make this a small deal , NOT a big one ! Got it to BD and he went at it ! Put the new mainspring in and didn't like it , needed a new sear . Got one and in it went . Safety was out of adj - fixed that . Needed to be tightened , but couldn't get a shim to fit , so left the gun a little loose . He checked with Herters shells and it shot fine , sent it back . Shortly after receiving , the OTHER barrel started acting up ! Here's the REAL story . Skeetx had queried me how it was going , had the new spring/sear located , that barrel great after BD installed !! The now misfiring barrel is the looser one , so Skeetx suggested a piece of tape on the shell head/rim to tighten . This worked on some cases , not the thinner ones . I have a M12 with headspace , so took a box of RGL's and fired them - thicker rims now . Raised the sizer to max on the MEC , and sized down to 1/8'' > Better ! Byrdog suggested some thin rubber bands , and sent some . Used these , and I can still get the barrel closed tight down with all the extra's . Also , the RGL's were picked because when setting new primers , they don't like to go in all the way, so left them sticking out .001 or so , and gun is/has been reliable . Will probably send the gun back to BD this winter - his work on the other barrel has been WONDERFULL !! This gun is NOT a Win 21 etc - am not going to do a full makeover , just get thru a couple more pheas hunts .... many thanx to our guys here , Byrdog for dogging thru this , Skeetx for his help in locating parts and his con't interest , and Nick for his help and prodding !!

Woody402
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I want to see this gun. Next time I. At the club maybe.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:59 am  Reply with quote

woody . it's always in the back of the truck ready to go !