16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  1926 Fox XE in need of emergency repair by expert Fox person
studdog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Looking for names of top Fox gunsmith to diagnose and repair intermittent problem. After first shot gun resets safety intermittently. Please let me know who you guys know that might be able to help. Gun is original 1926 XE 16 gauge in mint condition. Some of you have seen it at the 16 Gauge shoot. Thanks for any and all assistance. Feel free to call. George Moilanen 906 493 5251.

artesian01
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

eric meitzner. 715-378-2211. solon springs, wisconsin.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

A competent gunsmith should have little trouble fixing it. There is a ramped, multi humped flat spring that the safety slide cross pin is "located" with. If it is broken or not oriented properly, it will "pull" the safety on since the pin is not in it's detent. Been there. If the gun has been restocked, I have seen inletting off just enough to interfere with this relationship too.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Dewey Vicknair fixed my Fox had the same problem was a barrel extension adjustment. If it engages the rotary bolt wrong it tries to open upon firing and sets the safety back. Mine was very intermittent
sneem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

+1 On Dewey Vicknair. He did a complete disassembly and rebuild on a 16 ga Sterlingworth of mine. It was not firing the second trigger. Work was excellent.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

pudelpointer, I had the same problem you describe with Dad's old 12 ga Sterlingworth. The rotary bolt was worn and clearance in the receiver was excessive (sloppy fit). I bought and installed a new bolt; the problem vanished.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Wyochuckar,
Unfortunately I do not have that skill set. Dewey told me it is fairly common on Savage era guns the rib was off set slightly to the left and exacerbates the problem.
Luckily I live very close to Dewey he always has a couple of my guns for repairs, upgrades, restorations, modifications or internal clean and inspection. I use all these old doubles harder than they were intended for he keeps them all ticking.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 am  Reply with quote

My gun that was popping open partially was Philly gun but as stated, things were out of tolerance. Good to hear Vicknair keeps your guns in such great shape. He seems to be absolutely top notch.

I use mine "harder" than intended too, if there is such a thing. A lot of people forget that much of the smokeless ammo manufactured when these guns were new was actually quite harsh. My reloads for the most part run about 9,000 psi and push mid weight shot charges. I do put thousands of rounds through them every year though and the older guns have actually been very reliable once brought up to snuff.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Steve Durren, Gun Makers Guild master gunsmith and maker.

100% reliable, his work is beyond reproach. He has done a few very serious projects for me and I own a few of his custom built firearms. They are the finest you will find.

He is located in Adrian, Michigan. PM me and I will give you his info and mine for reference when you talk with him.

A true gentleman.

studdog
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your ideas and assistance. Gun is off to Dave Vandenbrandt in Holland MI. Thanks for your responses. George

studdog
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:48 am  Reply with quote

Gun is back from Dave Vandenbrandt. As you guys suggested, it was a rotary bolt adjustment to fix. No problem for the right gunsmith. Thanks for your ideas. George

JonP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

+1 on Eric Meitzner 715-378-2211 Solon Springs, Wisconsin...he even fashioned springs for my Austrian Drilling (16ga of course!) and had it back quickly.