16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2017 Hunting Season Photos - Let's See Them
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hey all, went out solo today, my son Jim was working cows for some friends of ours. Anyway, went up to the farm were we hunt deer. Always see birds in that area. Did see a few today. I did manage a limit.....but, lost one in the cattails and Rania couldn't find him, so only two in the bag. Good day overall, nice weather and a good dog!

I used my 16ga Arrieta 871

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52791_1024x768/] [/URL]

And....one tired Raina girl!

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52792_1024x768/] [/URL]

Until later!

Greg

dilly
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful gun, beautiful birds, beautiful dog. Thanks for posting.

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 am  Reply with quote

Greg, what part of ND are you in, and what is your take on bird numbers?

gjw
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:

Hey, I live in the south central part, south of Mandan in a small farm town (I know, I'm luck!). The bird numbers are down, no doubt about it. It's taking longer and more shoe leather to get birds. There are pockets of fair numbers, just a matter of finding them. Most of the birds I've taken are older ones. The broods didn't do well at all, the drought, loss of CRP (being hayed because of the drought and the contracts running out) played a major part in the fewer numbers. While my year has not been too bad, it's not been great like some. More than once I've gone out with nothing to show at the end of the day and then times when I've done well. Perhaps a matter of timing and luck. Overall, if we get another bad winter and nestling/brood year, we'll be screwed. G&F say the numbers are down by 60%, I think they got this right. Fingers crossed for an easy winter.

Best,

Greg

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:

I know you didn't ask me but...

My buddy in MT has a brother who is crazy for pheasants, he goes way up north. He gave up after 2 days - and was depressed. He has access to private land; some farmers won't let anybody on, in hopes of saving a few for next year. Drought was nasty up there.

I've got a trip planned for a few days, my 10 month old Pudelpointer needs to have some bird exposure. I've already set my expectations REAL low Crying or Very sad

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am  Reply with quote

One of my classmates had a place north of Mott,ND that used to be unbelievable pheasant hunting. He sold it this spring but the farmer who was leasing it said he didn’t even see a bird on it this summer. I know western ND and eastern MT on in the second year of drought, but water is only one of the factors, like Greg said.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:07 am  Reply with quote

gjw wrote:
cowdoc87 wrote:

Hey, I live in the south central part, south of Mandan in a small farm town (I know, I'm luck!). The bird numbers are down, no doubt about it. It's taking longer and more shoe leather to get birds. There are pockets of fair numbers, just a matter of finding them. Most of the birds I've taken are older ones. The broods didn't do well at all, the drought, loss of CRP (being hayed because of the drought and the contracts running out) played a major part in the fewer numbers. While my year has not been too bad, it's not been great like some. More than once I've gone out with nothing to show at the end of the day and then times when I've done well. Perhaps a matter of timing and luck. Overall, if we get another bad winter and nestling/brood year, we'll be screwed. G&F say the numbers are down by 60%, I think they got this right. Fingers crossed for an easy winter.

Best,

Greg

I hunt North Central SD in the pothole region each year for 2 weeks the first part of Nov. with some other retired Navy guys, the Admiral owns a house a few miles from the ND border. Not sure how far South of Mandan you are but we aren't all that far away. Due to work this is the first "Veterans" Day hunt I will miss in quite a few years. I was lucky to get my 2 weeks of grouse hunting in this year.

We are friends with a lot of land owners and farmers and have access to a lot of private land but also hunt CRP, what is left of it anyhow and whatever isn't cut during drought conditions. Pinch ditches, etc. whatever it takes.

Last year was rough and this year was a double whammy on top of it. In a dozen years last year had the first day that I was ever skunked there, and not talking about Barb the skunk smell removal lady skunked. But there were birds if you worked for them.

One of my friends lives in Spearfish, SD and he was up there at the house for resident opener. He hunted opener with a retired farmer that has a fair amount of land and some still in CRP. He was the only one that shot a bird, one bird is all the group shot. If I have to miss a year sounds like this is the one to miss. I too am hoping for a mild winter and easy spring for the broods. I'm afraid it is going to take awhile to recover as it is.

Keep the pictures coming Greg and I wish you continued success. Even if you don't shoot a bird it sure looks like you are blessed.
canvasback
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron, I used to hunt in the Pollock area, east side of the Missouri River.

Is this another one of those "coincidences"? LOL

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
gjw
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:07 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Cold Iron for the kind words! Best of luck and success to you also!

Thanks again!

Greg

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:42 am  Reply with quote

canvasback at some point it stops becoming a coincidence and becomes down right scary LOL. Thanks for putting a smile on me today Very Happy
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:12 am  Reply with quote

After missing a couple woodcock (so Gil can have some shooting later this fall Laughing ) I was able to drop this bird for Thicket.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:51 am  Reply with quote

Rick, I can't thank you enough for your misses. Wink 5 weeks away for us....So that we can re-miss and leave some for you next year. Gil
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Rick great looking dog very unique. I find myself regretting shooting any of them because they are so much fun for the dogs. If the dogs start to lose intensity or drive I'll kill one to fire them back up. The first 3 weeks in October are absolutely the best time of the year for my dogs they have more contacts and points on woodcock than the whole rest of the year. Grouse are so tough to get great dog work and good points the little woodcock run and make the dogs work but cooperate in the end. I just love those little suckers. Bird numbers were really good in Northern NY but a lot of the birds more than 50% were adults. My best morning was 17 points in about an hour and a half. Good luck down south Gil.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 am  Reply with quote

PP,
I agree real nice looking Ryman Setter, I love em all! Lots of Woodcock in the 2nd week of the season. Penny my old female Gordon had so many points on them one morning she wore herself out. Got 2 nice Grouse for me that cool Tuesday morning also. I missed a true mixed double shot, that morning also. In my dreams, I still see the Woodcock flying away thru the Hemlock trees, after I missed the 2nd shot. I still believe that these incredible Grouse and Woodcock true double chances are the most challenging shooting in the woods.

Beautiful Gun and Woodcock Rick!

Pine Creek Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
PatrickB
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful dog Rick! Not a bad looking gun either.

That WC looks rather plump. Obviously a slow flyer Wink