16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shortest barrel?
kjack
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a chance to pick up a Winchester M12 in 16 with a non-ventilated choke device (originally a full choke barrel). Total barrel (no vent rib) length is 25" and the small frame feels really good.

Unfortunately, the gun is not nearby so I can't do pictures (yet).

It is not a collector piece. It has some stock/forearm issues, but not a deal breaker,

I've been toying with the idea of getting the choke cut off and the barrel set up with thin wall choke tubes. That would effectively give me a 22" barrel. I think with the small frame, the overall compact size would not be a detriment but may look funny/out of balance.

General question/discussion:

Is that too short a barrel?

Leave it like it is?

Look around for another orphan to rescue?

Am I overthinking this?

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Unless you really want a short barrel, I'd leave it as is if you get it.

I did exactly what you're considering with a 20ga Ithaca 37 and have regretted it ever since. Totally changed the gun's handling (not for the better IMO). Disliked it so much that I eventually bought a 28" barrel for the gun. Much better now.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
kjack
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks.
I just browsed one of the auction sites and it look ,there are other orphans within my price range. No rush on a decision-I'm set for this hunting season.

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Buy the gun
Use it for one year before
you decide on any modifications
Mike

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:07 am  Reply with quote

I don't think 22" is too short and IMO for a quick snap shooting Upland gun almost necessity. As far as looks, that's entirely personal preference, but I think my...

20ga BPS Upland Special 22"
20ga Rem LT-20 Special 21"
16ga 11-48 Brush Hog 23"
16ga Citori Upland Special 24"

all look fantastic when I toss them up to my shoulder after flushing a bird or bunny while brush busting or when shooting low gun Skeet, 5 Stand or SC's.

Fun stuff, best of luck with whatever gun you purchase.

T-Bone
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:17 am  Reply with quote

I'd leave it alone. I had a BPS with the 22" barrel and found it way too "whippy". I replaced the barrel with a 24" Hasting Wadlock11 barrel and I've found that length to be my favorite in a repeater. In fact I fitted my new Ithaca M37 with a 24" barrel from Ithaca and I really like how it handles, too.

Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have an upland special 24"
Sweet 16 with 22"
Browning Gold with 20"
Two Barrels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 21” barrel I sometimes use on a 1100 Lt-20. It is great for grouse, woodcock, and quail. It is quick and I refer to it as my “bank robbing” barrel. I also have a 24” barrel for a Beretta AL 390 20 gauge. The 1100 seems quicker, but the Beretta is smoother.

I have turned away from many Model 12s with aftermarket Poly Chokes and Cutts Compensators. I just do not like them.

I probably would shoot the gun for a while before cutting the barrel.
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

I set up a friend's son with an 1100 Lt-20 and included a 21" Special Field barrel. Figured the lighter fixed choke design and shorter length would help a beginner balance the gun and he could use the 28" choke tubed barrel as he grew comfortable with it. I guessed wrong, the important element was a youth stock to get a fit he found comfortable shooting with the original barrel so I swapped him a 28" fixed choke 3" Magnum barrel.

I'd tried all of these barrels on the gun at clays and didn't find the 21" detrimental at Skeet. Maybe it's because the 1100 felt like it had a lot of its weight in the middle, but I didn't think the barrel length drastically changed its feel.

Woody402
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Depends on what the guns intended use is? For past shooting,waterfowl etc probably not the best length. But for grouse where quick shooting is the norm it would be good. Also for stationary targets. Turkeys,squirrels etc. would be great too.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 am  Reply with quote

woody , didn't we just see Dougie hit a 23 at skeet the other day with his 1100 deer gun . Of course , the only birds he missed was station 5 and 6 where the longer distance usually makes the short barrel iffy !!

Woody402
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
woody , didn't we just see Dougie hit a 23 at skeet the other day with his 1100 deer gun . Of course , the only birds he missed was station 5 and 6 where the longer distance usually makes the short barrel iffy !!

I wasn’t at the club that day but Doug told me about it.
brdslayr
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Stock issue. Forend issue.. Barrel issue. Run away. Hardly enough left to part out if you got it for free.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 am  Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I used a Rem 1100 with a 21" barrel for many years and loved it. I like the way short barrels change the handling on pumps and autos. Some may say too short, but a Model 12 with a 22" barrel should give an overall length very similar to a double gun with 26" tubes and double so endowed receives far less criticism. Add a rib and choke tubes and it would be a fairly decent gun, especially if you are into fixing up old stuff to make something nice.

Geoff_L
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 am  Reply with quote

I have very similar Model 1912 with a polychoke. The polychoke looks weird but I find it very convenient. It patterns plausibly enough. The adjustability is very convenient in the field or on a sporting clays course. I wouldn’t use it for formal competition but would everywhere else.

How do you shoot with short barrel guns?