16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Dickenson shotguns
mscott3887
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Saw a Dickinson sxs at a gun store and I'm not familiar with the brand. It was a 16 ga. And appeared to be a nice gun. Is anyone familiar with them
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Dickinson is the current importer of the AKUS (Turkish made) formerly imported by Smith and Wesson as the Elite Gold. They also provide SXS's for SKB and others. They are recognized as the best of the Turkish guns with the quality of wood and the workmanship equal to any of the price point guns. Dickinson is only importing double trigger, English stock guns, however pistol grips and POW stocked guns are available from other importers such as SKB and Webley & Scott. 16 ga's are tough to find and you may have to go the special order route to get one, but they are a nice gun with a rounded action, trigger plate locks and Teague style screw in chokes. Quite a bargain at their price.

Ray-citori
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I contacted Dickinson's about a SxS with POW stock, here is what they told me:
Single trigger yes, selectable no. Here is how the costs go:

Plantation model $2110.

Factory charge for single 'made to order' gun $150.

Shipping $25

The good thing is you can order the gun exactly as you want it and it is all included. However, delivery is six to eight months and payment is made up front.
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 am  Reply with quote

I have a Dickinson 16 Gauge SxS on order from their custom shop. You get to pick screw in chokes or fixed, English, Pistol Grip or POW grip, barrel length, single (non-selectable) or double trigger etc. Even special finish, though that can at 1.5 years to the wait according to their order form.

As pointed out the first grade model is about $2,300 depending on who you order it through and the stated time to wait is 5 months. If you order it direct from Dickenson's Custom Shop office in California, they want 100% up front. I ordered mine from Elk County Ammo and Arms in PA and only had to put up half.

I have been told that from the custom shop you end up with upgraded wood over their premade offerings without paying more, though on the custom order form, you can add a number of higher wood upgrades. Also have been told that the triggers from the custom shop are much better than the stock ones. I will just have to wait and see. Still have some time to go before mine shows up.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 am  Reply with quote

I had ordered a 28ga Estate with 24 inch barrels semi pistol grip extra grade wood 2 trigs They had to return my money because they couldnt figure out how to put the chokes in the short barrels. I waited 8 months then they couldnt deliver.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your experience. Hope with mine having 28" Barrels, that will not be a problem.

bamboozler
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:27 am  Reply with quote

rkittine wrote:
I have been told that from the custom shop you end up with upgraded wood over their premade offerings without paying more, though on the custom order form, you can add a number of higher wood upgrades.
Bob

Bob, do you recall the incremental upgrade charges for better wood, particularly upgrading to exhibition?
rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I guess because there are so many possibilities, there is a place on the form to check if you want upgraded wood, but no prices. I would assume the best way to find out, what the grades are and how much they cost would be to call Dickenson U.S. in CA or Elk County Ammo and Arms in PA, who have been extremely helpful and communicative to me.

Bob

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Concerning the automatic upgrade on the wood for custom ordered Dickinson SXS's, the picture below is my custom ordered 16 ga, single non-select trigger, semi-pistol grip, semi-beavertail gun ordered with standard wood. I didn't know it was standard policy to do an automatic upgrade on the custom guns, but to say I'm pleased would be a gross understatement.

rkittine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Beautiful. Hope my wood is as nice or near yours. I have heard this about custom shop orders from a number of buyers. How is the trigger on yours? That is another area I have been told is much better on the Custom Shop guns.

Bob

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:26 am  Reply with quote

Triggers are fine on my gun. About 5 1/2 pounds, but very crisp. They actually feel lighter than that when shooting the gun, but my Lyman electronic trigger gauge is the final arbiter of trigger weights.

rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 am  Reply with quote

I have heard that non-custom shop gun triggers may not be so good. At least one I know of came in at over 11 pounds. Kind of like what I have experienced with the Ringneck in 16 from CZ.

Bob

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

rkittine wrote:
I have heard that non-custom shop gun triggers may not be so good. At least one I know of came in at over 11 pounds. Kind of like what I have experienced with the Ringneck in 16 from CZ.

Bob

The gunsmith you need for work on the Dickinson/S&W Elite shotguns is Kody Kearcher working out of Bend, OR. He is possibly the only one who will work on the single trigger guns to lighten heavy trigger pulls. His uncle Keith Kearcher, who has recently retired, did the triggers for a couple of S&W owner I know a few years back.

Several years ago, I attended Jack Rowe's class on Double Gun Gunsmithing down at Tishomingo, OK, and when discussing trigger work, Jack said the trigger plate action of the S&W was the only trigger he could not work on. I didn't mention the Kearcher's to him, but did pass the info on to a few of my classmates there. Jack was a true gentleman, and I'm so glad I took the time to attend his class a couple of years before his passing.

http://kodykearcher.com/

rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the Heads Up. We have a guy here on Long Island who took good care of my Ringneck trigger but I do not know if he knows anything about the Dickensons.

Bob

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

They are intriguing guns. If I was looking for a new sxs that could do it all, and I couldn't afford an RBL, then the Dickinson would be my choice.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."