16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Guns for South Dakota pheasants
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

There isn’t an upland bird that can’t be taken effectively with a 16 gauge.

I have taken woodcock, quail, ruffed grouse, sharptails, chickins, pheasants and turkeys.........and mallards, blacks and teal with my 16.

My favorite is my 1100 followed by my 870.

3crosses
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Well, I had to take an emergency trip to SD. M-I-l fell and ended up in hospital. Wife and I needed to be there to take care of a few things for her. But, I did get to hunt for two days so I took my 16 gauge model 37. The wind blew and the bull shit flew and I ended up with 3 birds. Which I promptly gave to the guys I hunted with. Oh and M-I-L will be home tomorrow. I guess I made lemon-aid out of lemons, but, I don't want a repeat.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Leaving Wednesday.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnwjBgHHj] [/URL]
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson,

If you own one I also suggest taking along a SXS 16 double gun. When I travel to hunt birds I take at least 3 bird guns that I am more than comfortable hunting with.

One as a back up and 2 that get most of the use while I am in any particular hunting area of the country. In this way I safe guard my hunting trip. Most time I take at least 4 different double guns even more if I am traveling in our Jayco Motor Home.

In the beginning of the hunting season when the foliage is quite thick here in the eastern part of the USA for hunting Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasant's I even take along a 12 Gauge. In the latter part of the season I substitute the 28 for the 12 and also take a 20 Gauge, depending on what hunting destination I am traveling to.

Pine Creek/Dave

The Guns I took on the last trip to the log cabin in Potter/Tioga, Pa. Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasant all in at the same time in late October.

The double gun on the far left is now one of my favorite Pheasant Hunting double guns, she is an old LeFever 12 Gauge on a 16 frame. If you have a light 12 I would definitely take one on your trip.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52795_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I'm a results guy. The 12 gauges I bring give me the best results on my out of state pheasant hunts. Been doing this a long time and annually hunt 4 states for pheasants counting my home state of Wisconsin. Relax, I'm still a big fan of the 16 gauge! Smile I have a couple 16 SxS's I like to use for fun hunts around home.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
The problem is you never know how much experience a man has when you talk with him on the forums. Sense you have the experience and know how to set up for your traveling hunts have a great time and be careful!

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave, and no problem at all. When I retire and have more time on these South Dakota trips I'll dabble more with my 16's out there. The areas in IA and MN I hunt are not loaded with birds and I just have the most confidence in my 12's on those days when you only get one or two long pokes on speedy and tough wild pheasants. I'm on my way out the door for a last tuneup hunt here in WI.
Montana16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:30 am  Reply with quote

I am headed to MT next Wednesday for a hunt and hopefully the birds will cooperate. I take two 16s, a Fox for closer range shots and a Merkel (M/F) if the longtails decide they don't really want to take a close look at me or my dog (My dog is the better looking of us by far.) My two cents, take guns you can shoot well, or at least shoot often enough with a gun down mount so the technique is familiar.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/hsf32Dj.jpg?1[/img]
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:32 am  Reply with quote

after jpg, remove the ?1 , leave all the rest and it will show
Mike

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry; no fancy afield or amassed game photos; just a selfie in the truck. Nephew Tim on the left, Fin, Hannah the Wonderdog, and nephew Randy...

The birds were a little scarce but we brought home a few. Met some nice folks, including a fella from Idaho with a couple beautiful Charles Daly 16's. He was packing one, and like a proud papa had photos of the other on his phone. He could shoot 'em too!

I neglected to ask if he's on the forum, so Bobby, if you're here, "Ernest" says hello!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook