16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Story of the Big Bad Wolf
Coyote Crusader
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:42 am  Reply with quote

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/grouse-hunter-dog-threatened-pack-wolves/?utm_source=Boomtrain&utm_campaign=20171018&utm_medium=manual&bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiOWMyMDBlZmQtMjAwZi00N2Y1LWFjMTQtN2Y1YjQ1MDUxNTM4In0%3D

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Wolves in Northern Minnesota have been a problem for years. The uncle of a college friend had a sheep ranch near Akeley (which is more to the center of the state than Isabella). I visited him in the mid 70s. The days consisted of herding the sheep out to pasture in the morning then bringing them back in at night. Leaving them out overnight would have resulted in wolves preying on the sheep after they had ganged-up on the collie. Forty+ years have resulted in increased wolf populations and fearless behavior.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

I normally stay in and hunt around Isabella. Last week couldn't get a cabin for the whole week and fourtrax found me a cabin down closer to the Lake. Can't believe the number of people that say they never see a wolf or any sign of them so they aren't a problem. Once the snow falls that changes. I've had wolf tracks in my tracks walking back out of the woods on a regular basis. Headed back up Saturday for a week and likely hit some spots I know in the Isabella area. Doesn't really matter where you go the wolves are everywhere.

Last Thursday coming down Richy Lake road had a cow moose run out of the woods in front of me and trot down the road for about a quarter mile before she cut back into the woods. I followed her and tried to get a picture with no success. I was tempted to just back up and wait where she came out of the woods. Odds are there was at least one wolf pushing her. And why Mn. no longer has a Moose season. Wolves are so protected now that you can only shoot one if a human life is in immediate danger, legally can't do it to save your dogs life.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:28 am  Reply with quote

That GSP sounds like a smart dog. I'm glad we don't have to worry about wolves down here. It's just snakes, gators and hogs. Cat Urgbigkit, a sheepherder in Colorado, writes on Steve Bodio's blog about her guard dogs and burros. She is constantly dealing with wolves and coyotes. Here's her latest post:
http://stephenbodio.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-predation-crisis.html