16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal & Winchester psi?
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone know what psi's might be for Winchester 16 ga shells that are 1 oz @ 1165fps and also Federal 16 ga 1oz @1165fps?
Patterned both in 16 ga W & S double weighs 6lb 4 oz and Winchesters seem to recoil more but patterned best.
16'er
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know the pressure of each, but I've shot my share of both. To my shoulder with my gun, the federal s are just a bit stouter on recoil, but not by much. Perceived recoil is a ymmv thing, of course. Weighing the shot in each type, and running them over a chrony with your gun will give you the physics answer. Mass and velocity determine recoil, iirc.

I vastly prefer the federals for birds. For some reason, the winchesters seem to lead to more birds that keep flying after being hit. I've seen a pile of feathers come of a pen quail with the Winchester super-X load and the bird just keep on cruising well past the tree line. Feds seem to drop birds consistently and cleanly for me. They also smell better...

I'm not sure if winchesters have inferior shot, or the patterns are not as consistent as I think they are, but they sure seem to be weak sauce.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 am  Reply with quote

May not be the pressure so much as the wads being used, Winchester makes all of the their 16 gauge ammo in Australia and has for quite some time, in their lead loads they are using the Gualandi wads same as the SG16 BPI sells. Federal uses their proprietary gas seal shot cup wads which I have found pattern much better than most of the 16 gauge wads on the market.
old colonel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:42 am  Reply with quote

16’er, Your observations on the relative effectiveness of federal vs winchester while valid for your gun,its chokes, and your style of shooting, may not be universally applicable.

The later observation on shotcup by Waterfowler may account for the difference, or it could be something yet unstated.

Bottomline is pressure and velocity, though they often relate to one another, are not tied prefectly.

My shooting has shown little performance difference between federal and winchester shells of the same weight load.

On the original question of pressures, a shooter has to assume the pressure will always be within SAAMI standards as the manufacturers of normal commercial loads do vary at times and while I believe their velocities stay consistent, different powders at times may give varying pressures within standard.

If one is concerned about higher SAAMI limits in an old gun, it is best to purchase specific lower pressure commercial loads (RST, Polywad, etc) or reload for lower pressures.

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:18 am  Reply with quote

The Fed is my go to factory bird ammo

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

The Webley Scott 16 ga s x s has 2.75 in chambers and was made in 1967 so assume these loads are fine pressure wise. I patterned and the Winchester load was a more even spread vs the Federal, but as you guys know each gun has its own favorites. Thanks to all for your experiences and will probably shoot what is available LOL