16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  another Standing Rock Saga
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:52 am  Reply with quote

we've settled back into deer here after another whirlwind trip to SoDak with Mr Hammack . As always , another gas !! WINDY !! ... the crux of this though is that the real intent was to further investigate another Rez to the south of there . SR got creamed again by the drought . Seems to be on a 3yr cycle . Here's the deal . SR charges about $250 for the 2(bird) licenses . Not many birds , just adequate cover . The other Rez , about $90 . For another $125 , you can get a SoDak license , or less than the SR . We LIKE SR , but the upwards trend continues , so we search .... We spent a good part of the day going up to the SR G&F headquarters , and had a good convers with Jeff Kelly , the main man . Jeff has been great/helpful in the past , and lent an ear ... However , a new biologist type worming into the Rez's was there , and offered up the why's of the increases . BUULLLLoney !! money spent on habitat improvement etc -only when it rains ! He was hell bent on increases further - we weren't buying . Typical Dems vs Reps and neither side budging . A simple fact of license counting could reveal that me and Doc may have been the only bird license's sold ! The OTHER rez has walk in state and Indian across the road from each other and decent crowds . The OTHER Rez has Elk also , which Nick and his gang got their 2 . We are lobbying hard , we'll see !

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

What do you mean "lobbying"? -- You got some kind of political influence? On the Res? -- Ya shoore, you betcha. . . Anyway, I sympathize with you on the strange hunting front. SR is a whole 'nother country -- and well it should be. If it were, we'd see some common sense soon enough. I had some good hunting there, but I can't see going back any time soon.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:27 am  Reply with quote

Hi Smoke .... we've been going there for a while . I'm at 8 yrs , Nick at many more . Nick figures he's brought 1000 guys out there with him hunting(how I got started ) . He's had plenty of contact with Jeff and many conversations . SR can listen or not . I was plenty fired up listening to the other guy , but like I told Nick , this ain't my neighbor hood . Deer hunting is their big draw and they are handling it as if they are a big outfitter at bigger bucks . Birds isn't that way . We gave our 2cents and will letter the tribal council . They can listen or not , the diff is whether we hunt SR or Cheyenne River !!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

It's a big world out there. Take your money elsewhere; it's not like SR has the only pheasant population in America.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I agree with WYOChukar, he needs to find another place to hunt birds at a reasonable cost. Still lots of locations to hunt Pheasant!

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Ain’t much fun w/o the Moo! Reno