16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fausti 16 ga SXS's
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
I finally got the call from Fausti USA telling me my 16 ga DEA has arrived at customs. It will still be a bit before I get my hands on it, but after 13 months of waiting, it is almost here. When it gets here I'll take pictures, and measure everything and post the results on here. Always exciting to get a new gun.

Looking forward to the pics and your evaluation of it. As the winner of more than one hog hunter contest in the Chiefs mess I have no issue with a "heavy" 16. Especially for targets. I hope it works out well for you. I do like my spaghetti guns as a friend of mine calls them, he is a shirt tail relative of someone called Browning and it is his surname. His family room, guns and safes are impressive to say the least. But with the exception of the new A5 Sweet 16 and 20 ga. Cynergy as a rule they don't fit me at all. Always looking for the ones that do.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Steve Allen of Fausti USA sent me an E-Mail saying the gun arrived today. I just got a cashier's check and a copy of my FFL in the mail today. Dang, if I knew it would get through customs this quickly, I'd have done an electronic funds transfer and faxed my FFL. Oh well, what's another week after waiting over a year?

Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:39 am  Reply with quote

You're a patient man! Hope your patience is rewarded and its nicer than u expect.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Yup, this is the longest wait so far for a custom order. Mark DeHaan was usually around 4 to 6 months for his SXS's. I got a Ugartechea model 257 sidelock through Lion Country in right at 6 months. The custom Dickinson only took 4 months.

Life would require a lot less patience if I didn't like POW stocks and single triggers. You guys who like the classical English stocks and double triggers just don't know how easy it is to find what you want without going through the ordering and WAITING for a gun to be built to your tastes. The good news is with a custom build, I get to dictate stock dimensions which greatly simplifies getting the gun fit right.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

"You guys who like the classical English stocks and double triggers just don't know how easy it is to find what you want without going through the ordering and WAITING for a gun to be built to your tastes."

I wish you where right but that is just not true .

Mostly what I find is guns with single triggers , and super high stocks . Never under stood making a 2 barrel gun with a single trigger .
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
"You guys who like the classical English stocks and double triggers just don't know how easy it is to find what you want without going through the ordering and WAITING for a gun to be built to your tastes."

I wish you where right but that is just not true .

Mostly what I find is guns with single triggers , and super high stocks . Never under stood making a 2 barrel gun with a single trigger .

And I never understood having to use one finger to pull two triggers. One finger, one trigger. Works for me.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

I finally got my Fausti DEA and it doesn't disappoint. Weight is 6# 7 1/4oz , that beats my hoped for 6 1/2 pounds by a whole 3/4 oz. My lightest 16 ga so far. The right bore measures .670" and the left bore .668". The single non-selective trigger breaks crisply at 5# 3oz on the right barrel and 6# 11oz on the left. Might need some lightening on the second trigger, but I'll shoot it for a while before making that move. It doesn't feel that heavy, but my Lyman digital gauge doesn't lie. It came with a set of 5 screw in chokes, CYL: .673", I/C: .664", Mod: .653", IMod: .644", and Full: .638".

It came in a nice Negrini hard case that should afford decent protection.

28" barrels, single trigger, POW stock and semi-beavertail forend.

Coin finished action with engraving.

Gold Fausti emblem on floorplate. Free advertising?

Semi-beavertail forend, not overly large at all.

Fairly nice wood, but the wooden butt may become a leather covered pad. I'll shoot it to see about the pad issue.

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful gun may you have many years and great adventures with it ,and I hope we can follow those adventures here , thanks for letting us see your new gun , all the best WJ.
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice! Glad you’re expectations have been satisfied...
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:36 am  Reply with quote

That turned out extremely well, congratulations! And it even has the proper number of triggers with correct grip and forend Very Happy

I could certainly see an ultra lightweight leather covered Micro Cell recoil pad on it. And is deserving of a leather covered pad. Enjoy your new gun it is beautiful.

Last edited by Cold Iron on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 am  Reply with quote

Love that figure in the wood! And it came in right in the weight range you originally posted you were hoping for between all day carryable/shootable. Good for you.

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am  Reply with quote

I’ll have to say I was dubious about the laser engraving on a gun at that price, but it does look very nice!
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys. I forgot to mention it does balance right on the hinge pin. I ordered the gun with 3/8" cast off, but mounting the gun I'm very slightly looking down the left side of the rib. The first order of business will be patterning at 16 yards using the Churchill method and possibly bending in a bit more cast off. I have sent an inquiry to the leather covered pad outfit linked below and will let y'all know what I find out.

http://leathercoverrecoilpads.com/

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am  Reply with quote

The looking slightly down the left side of the rib may have been an understatement. I patterned the gun yesterday at 16 yards and it appears from the pattern Fausti missed my 3/8" cast off request by quite a bit. When I mounted the gun on my stock bending jig it was more like 3/8 millimeter.

4 shot mount and shoot using the Churchill 16 yard method. Quite a bit left.

The Fausti mounted in the bending jig with the heatlamps working their magic.

.600" bend put in allowing for some springback to get my 3/8" cast off. I'll find out this evening if it worked. The European walnut seemed to take the bend fairly easily which is always a good sign.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

It sure is nice when a plan works out. Got my 3/8" of cast off first try. You can see about 1/4" toe out in this picture too. That was built into the stock by Fausti.