16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fausti 16 ga SXS's
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:41 am  Reply with quote

We've been under a cold, wet drizzle weather pattern for a few days and the boredom may have gotten me in trouble. I started wondering who made 16 ga SXS's with my preferred POW , single trigger, and semi-beavertail forend and found the Fausti website for the European operation and there it was. It is not on the Fausti USA website, but they will do custom orders in just about any configuration you could want.

Now for the questions; Does anyone own a Fausti DEA, and if so, what is your evaluation of the gun? Is anyone familiar with the Fausti sidelock SXS? I would expect a significantly higher price on the sidelock, and wonder if it would be worth the extra tariff. I own a Ugartechea and an AYA sidelock and find I really don't use them very much compared to a couple of Zabala built boxlocks, so if the DEA was good quality, I'd probably want to go that way. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Floppintom
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know anything about them but there is one on www.gunbroker.com right now.
Walter
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Don't own one but have handled them. Looks like a good quality product. Tried to buy a 28 gauge but lost out. I think their 16 is a little heavy for my tastes(over 6lbs).

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 am  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Don't own one but have handled them. Looks like a good quality product. Tried to buy a 28 gauge but lost out. I think their 16 is a little heavy for my tastes(over 6lbs).

Most of my POW/semi-beavertail stocked 16 ga guns weigh in the 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 pound range which I don't find objectionable. I shoot quite a bit of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo through them when hunting out west and that weight seems to be a good compromise between carrying for hours and shooting the more robust loads. It's probably a good thing I don't have any sub 6 pound 16 ga's, because when I carry one of my 28 ga SXS's I find the sub 6 pound weight delightful to carry. Thanks for your assessment of the build quality on the Fausti.

airmedic1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Fausti DEA Roundbody 16b straight stock, double trigger that Cabela's imported several years ago. I almost bought one when I saw them in the store and was lucky enough to find one on a website after they had been discontinued.
Mine weighs 6 lbs even and is probably my favorite shotgun. I have been told they were built on a 20b frame but I don't know that for sure. I did find a 20b but it weighed more so that might be the case and the 12b seemed rather porcine at over 7 lbs. I wouldn't sell mine for twice what I paid for it and can't say that for my other guns.
AM

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 am  Reply with quote

A customer just brought in a 20 ga Fausti O/U labeled as a Traditions by Fausti that doesn't appear to have seen a lot of use, but needing work. Both triggers are capable of lifting the gun without firing, but the most distressing thing as far as quality of build goes is a forend that is loose and rattles. Heavy triggers can be dealt with, but the Deeley type forend release does not properly tension the iron to the barrels and will be difficult to repair. I'm considering this O/U to be a bottom feeding price point gun, but the poor quality has me reconsidering my interest in a custom DEA. Any insights from others on here would really be welcome.

airmedic1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:37 am  Reply with quote

I don't think the Traditions guns were at a high price point but I could be mistaken. The quality of my Fausti DEA is good. Fit and finish is on par or better than my Ugartechea Grade 5. I think you might be comparing apples to oranges.
AM

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:39 am  Reply with quote

airmedic1 wrote:
I don't think the Traditions guns were at a high price point but I could be mistaken. The quality of my Fausti DEA is good. Fit and finish is on par or better than my Ugartechea Grade 5. I think you might be comparing apples to oranges.
AM

Thanks for your comments. I was hoping to hear from someone with experience with the DEA. The Traditions is definitely a lower price point gun and probably not a good comparison. I'm just trying to do my due diligence before undertaking another custom gun, without subjecting myself to paralysis by analysis

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I finally arrived at a decision on my new 16 ga bird gun and it will be a Fausti DEA with the following specifications:
16 ga (of course)
28" barrels
Coin finish
Fine Laser Engraving ( we'll have to see what this looks like)
Interchangeable Chokes
Single Non-Selective Trigger (hunting over good pointing dogs)
Automatic Ejectors
Semi-Beavertail Forend
2 3/4" chamber
Custom Stock As Follows:
Prince Of Wales
Checkered Butt (will replace with SC-100 or leather covered at my pitch)
LOP 14.25"
DAH 2.25"
DAC 1.5"
Cast Off .375"
Delivered in a VL150 gun case (whatever that is)

The 30% deposit is in and now the 11 month wait begins. I looked hard for an affordable Merkel 1620 with no luck, and contacted Quality Arms to inquire about getting a Rizinni built to my specs, but John Bishop recommended going to Fausti USA to have my gun built. So basically, I spent a few months looking and came full circle back to the Fausti DEA. Hopefully I've made the right choice, but this appears to be one of the very few ways to get a gun that has the features I want without getting completely crazy on custom guns. Steve Allen at Fausti USA was very accommodating to deal with and it couldn't have been easier once I made my decision.

studdog
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Have they specified a overall weight? I'm partial to light field guns. My Merkel 1620 and Fox XE both weigh 5 3/4 lb's or so.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Have they specified a overall weight? I'm partial to light field guns. My Merkel 1620 and Fox XE both weigh 5 3/4 lb's or so.

When I contacted Fausti over in Italy early on in this endeavor, the said it would weigh about 6 pounds 5 ounces. If it does come in at that weight, I'll be pleased considering the POW stock and semi-beavertail added weight. That will also make it the lightest of my current crop of 16 ga SXS's.

buckshot54
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Riflemiester_ just curious as to what a gun built like that DEA custom costs? If you don't mind sharing
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 am  Reply with quote

buckshot54 wrote:
Riflemiester_ just curious as to what a gun built like that DEA custom costs? If you don't mind sharing

The quote came back with a $5590 price tag. No breakdown provided for the individual item's pricing.

Griffon
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Check out the RBL 16 CSMC. Talk to Louie tell him what you want, you'll be surprised. I've had excellent good fortune with mine. I've put close to 15,000 rounds through without a hiccup. Customer service is excellent. A few are listed on the gunbroker site. Made in the USA.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Check out the RBL 16 CSMC. Talk to Louie tell him what you want, you'll be surprised. I've had excellent good fortune with mine. I've put close to 15,000 rounds through without a hiccup. Customer service is excellent. A few are listed on the gunbroker site. Made in the USA.

I did contact CSMC shortly after the Fox A grade made by them came out to see if they could make one in my 16 ga, POW, single trigger and semi-beavertail configuration. They offered to make an RBL 16 ga in that configuration, but said it would weigh close to 7 pounds. I already own several 16 ga SXS's in the 6 pound 10 to 12 ounce category and was hoping to go lighter than 6 1/2 pounds on any future gun. The Fausti will hopefully meet that criteria.