16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  #6 or # 7 1/2 for pheasants?
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:47 am  Reply with quote

citorifeather

funny, but I am SO PISSED at the original comment that if I saw this person in public I'm not sure I could contain myself. My Dad was a decorated Navy Pilot (and 16 gauge afficianado) with a MASTERS degree from the naval postgraduate school. He has passed away, but I proudly display his thesis and picture in my office. During the cuban crisis his plane located and called in the destroyers to repel the first sub they tried to sneak in. To have some idiot imply that he was "stupid" - well I can't say it in public....

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Dr. 16 Gauge
thunderstick
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:07 am  Reply with quote

If your are stuck using #6 shot ( # cp 5 is my medicine of choice), then by ALL means use the copper-plated shot ! That stuff has significantly better penetration, from all reports I've seen.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:12 am  Reply with quote

The #6's worked quite well for me on our preserve shoot. I was shooting backup, and had some convincing kills. The M-12 16 gauge with 1 ounce loads [thanks Roadkill] worked quite well.

Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

These posts have been very interesting. Now I am wondering if I've been
messing up . I've been chasing Kansas "Big and Wild" pheasants for 27 years. Early and late seasons. No dog . All I've ever used is 1 oz., # 7.5
shot at about 1200 FPS. 16 ga. Mod. choke! I've never had ANY problems.
Granted, occasionally a bird that hits the ground isn't completely dead yet but I've never lost one.
I hunt with a friend who uses a 20 ga., 1 oz load of 8's. . He doesn't seem to have any problems collecting pheasants for the pot either. On a recent quail hunt, while using a 28ga. 3/4oz. of #8's , we got into some wild pheasants. We each fired 2 shots. We took home 4 pheasants !
Sometimes I think that bird hunters fall into the same mind set that many
big game hunters do. " Bigger is better". Everyone should use the load they
have confidence in.
The real key (I think) to this is passing up overly long shots and above all
" You got to hit them "!

Good luck to All this season and Be Safe!

Rabbitdog.

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Day in and day out it's really hard to beat a good load of hard 6's on pheasants. Open barrel, tight barrel, early, late, 6's have a nice balance of pattern density and penetration to get the job done at all typical ranges.

These three got smoked yesterday by Federal 1 1/8 oz of hard 6's .

Yep, that's my old (1933) Remington 11 16 gauge. My Merkel 1620 (that "demanding little mistress") was giving me the cold shoulder, so I spanked her and took out an older, more experienced lady.
longwalker
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Rabbitdog, i agree withy you about apparent "magnumitis" afflicting a lot of hunters these days. The original question was about far shots, so that's why I advised larger shot size in my post. I also use a lot of 7-1/2's but when following pointing dogs, and shooting within 35yds.

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
Nice pic of dogs, guns and birds. Is that a wired hair or a true Drahthaar? Either way, both are good looking dogs. I'm kinda partial to the Drahthaars. Wink

Did you get that bad little Merkel back in line? Razz

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

These all fell to Federal 1 oz. 7.5's last Friday...............

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Dave,
Nice pic of dogs, guns and birds. Is that a wired hair or a true Drahthaar? Either way, both are good looking dogs. I'm kinda partial to the Drahthaars. Wink

Did you get that bad little Merkel back in line? Razz

TJC, they are both German Wirehaired Pointers. My older dog is 11 and over the years he has lost his facial furnishings, so now most would mistake him for a shorthair. It would take a big truck to haul all of the grouse, woocock, and pheasants he has produced. I'm thrilled that my younger dog seems to be coming into his own because I don't know how many seasons old Zeke has left in him. The younger guy (Jazz) pointed and retrieved the roosters yesterday. Must have been his day. Both dogs worked a number of hens, and Jazz pointed a 4th rooster on the way back to the truck after I had my limit. I got the 2nd and 3rd birds at the very end of the day and by then I had poor old Zeke resting in the truck.

My naughty little Merkel will stay in its corner until the pheasant "seasons" (WI,MN,IA) end, then I'll use it for the last of the gouse season which ends on Jan 31 in my part of WI. These wild birds are too hard earned to mess up with a gun with which your slumpnig, and that old Rem 11 wormed its way into being my main pheasant gun last year. I'll get the Merkel sorted out later. I've shot it very well before and I'm paying the price for not spending enough time shooting it in the late summer/early fall. Too late now. That's totally OK though, for I get just as much, if not more satisfaction carrying this 75 year old Remington 11 as I do any of my two-barreled guns, and I shoot it a hell of a lot better!
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter, nice going! Handsome dog, too!
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave....nice birds and great dogs that you posted too....
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Great pics! I'd love to see more from everybody. I'd have posted some of the Gambels quail I got Friday but (Bless me father for I have sinned....) I was shooting a 20ga. Benelli Montefeltro. I know I know. My excuses are:

1: Still tweaking the stock on the Sweet 16
2: Didn't want to drop the CitoriFeather16 while running through a cactus filled arroyo
3: See #2 above regarding the William & Powell SXS

Birdswatter, it looks like that rooster on your right is still twitching! Are you sure 7 1/2's are enough Laughing

I recently loaded up a handful of 1 oz. 5's but the pattern was pretty sketchy. I'm going to try loading some 1 oz. of nickle plated #6's from BP for roosters. Should do the trick.

Thanks again for the pics!

Matt
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

These all fell to 2.5" #6's from RST last Monday. Very Happy Hope the pic works.

PS: No we didn't shoot the dogs. They were just dead tired from a full days hunt. So was I and the other 3 hunters. Wink

Last edited by TJC on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Well the link worked. How in the heck do you get the pic to show? I did what I have to do on a few other sites and all I got was the link. Question Question

Never mind, got it. Duh.

Last edited by TJC on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:12 pm  Reply with quote