16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  #6 or # 7 1/2 for pheasants?
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:31 am  Reply with quote

For slightly longer shots, would the #6's be preferred? Or does it make a difference? I think & 1/2 would be the minimum to punch thru the backbone into vitals--but what about the #6's. With my group, I usually shoot last, so I have slightly longer shots at the departing birds.

TJC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:55 am  Reply with quote

Personally I like 4's and 5's. So out of the 2 you ask about, I'd go with the 6's.
I shot a bunch of birds the other day with RST 2.5" shells in 6's. They worked real well. Very Happy

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Hal, if you're shooting at pheasants and hoping to punch through the backbone, 7 1/2's will only be good to about 30 yards. If you're shooting backup, I'd definitely go with 6's, maybe even 5's in the tight barrel if you're shooting a double.

I split the difference and shoot 7's (or British 6's) in my open choked barrel, American 6's in the tighter barrel. But I shoot over pointing dogs, live in pretty good pheasant country, and am not normally shooting backup for anyone.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Hal: Check this thread http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2003
Unfortunately, the 12 page thread on SS BB on this topic featuring Bro Larry vs. the Mighty Cush is no longer available Very Happy

blackduck
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

B & P 7's in the first barrel and B & P 5's in the second barrel....
blackduck
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:31 am  Reply with quote

blackduck
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:33 am  Reply with quote

longwalker
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Some years ago I did some very unscientific tests of penetration on the 3/8" spruce plywood walls of an old shed on our farm. At 35 paces, 7-1/2's will just penetrate the first layer, while 6's zip right through. The difference in penetration is amazing! A pheasant can stop 7-1/2's that hit the hard bone over the hips. For close shots, they work well, but if farther out you can get cripples if no pellets hit the softer body cavity or the head. Now I don't use 7-1/2's for anything bigger than Huns if the range is likely to be over 30 yds. If you pattern your shotgun with 4's I predict the pattern is thin and patchy. Yours might do OK, but most 16's do not pattern 4's well. That leaves 6's or 5's for pheasant. 6's wil reliably kill a pheasant with a well centered shot from a full or mod. choke out to 40yds. All this is a long way of reccomending that you use your #6 shells!

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:10 am  Reply with quote

The other issue with 7 1/2's is that you end up with more pellets in the meat, even if you use a pretty open choke.

I had very good results using them on sharpies in ND this year (with a very open choke), and while sharps are a good bit bigger than huns, I've found them--and prairie chickens--significantly easier to kill than pheasants. Note I'm talking early season prairie grouse here. Later in the year, when they're in big flocks and you have trouble getting very close, I'd probably go with 6's and a tighter choke.

Agree that 4's get pretty patchy in a 16. 5's do as well, unless maybe you reload 1 1/4 oz of them. To my knowledge, there are no 1 1/4 oz factory loads of 5's available--except the Kent Tungsten Matrix shells, which work great but are expensive.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Larry, I think #7-1/2 shot is okay in smaller bored guns like a 28 ga. if the velocity is kept above 1275 FPS, if the range is closer than 30 yards, and if the pheasant is not too big or too heavily feathered. I've used it in a 3/4 ounce 28 load with good effect on young birds and legal hens. It does put more shot in the meat, especially around the joints.

However, I agree that hard #7 shot is much better. it penatrates better and smashes through wing bones better. I now load a 7/8 ounce, 1230-50 FPS handload for the 28 ga. that comes right out of the Hodgdon manual. It has about the same amount of pellets as the 3/4 ounce 7-1/2 ounce load and works very well until the ranges get past 35 yards and the birds get bigger and more heavily plummaged.

I use it in the bottom barrel and follow up with my 1 ounce 28 ga. mag load of hard #6 shot in case. Its not needed too often though until the season progresses a bit. Once I start having to use barrel #2 too often, the 28 goes back in the rack and the 16 comes out.

A 7/8 ounce 16 ga load can hit above 1300 FPS too. I tried some. It has proven to be even more effective and obviously hits harder by all that I've seen the way the birds fold up when centered well. Its another good load for the arsenal. Backed with a fast load of #6 shot or, better yet, #5's, this #7 load is a good one.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks all for your thoughts. Local rules restrict shot to no more than #6.
Based on what you have stated-will got with the #6's vs. the #7 1/2's and report back after the hunt.

Best wishes

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Guy, where are hen pheasants legal? Those have to be put and take birds. I know of no state that will allow you to shoot wild hens.
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Larry - here in Massachusetts everything is stocked - the trout ponds, the WMA's, ad infineto - modern "management" at it's finest. So hens are legal and the WMA's are rather crowded with hunters higher strung than the dogs they run.

About the only thing that isn't stocked are the ammo cases at Dick's - all the 16 ga stuff seems to be missing...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

AH, Massachusetts!!!...where the fish and game is often stocked, and the ballot boxes are always stuffed. Rolling Eyes Laughing.

There is a quadrant of the Northeast section around western Middlesex county where hens are illegal. So they only stock roosters. That way, the pheasant have a chance to breed according to the F&G biologists. Only in MA folks, only in MA. I guess our same sex marraige law applies to wildlife too. Rolling Eyes
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

"Larry:

"You know, education. If you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and make an effort to be smart, you can shoot hens. If you don't, you're stuck shooting roosters."

John Kerry on MA mixed up hunting regulations!

Matt