16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  #6 or # 7 1/2 for pheasants?
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

These were from a week ago this past Friday. All fell to Remington Game loads, 6's.

Shot over my pointers. Very Happy

Roadkill
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I'm glad you are happy with it, Hal.
I used the money from that as part of the cost of my latest, a Merkel 147E 16ga that I picked up on Saturday. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Bill
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

this is the first year that i have used copper plated shot. i am impressed with it. the pennitration is awsome. i have loaded nickle plated shot for turkeys and was impressed with the pennitration also. but because of the price i started using the copper plated for grouse and pheasents.(i use a lot more shells going after pheasent and grouse than i do turkey) it deffinetly patterns and pennitrates better than the chilled lead i am used to using.
Here in western pa. our pheasents are stocked. so shots are not as long as I hear they are out west. I use 7 1/2 copper plated in the first barrel and 6 copper plated in the second barrel. as long as i do my part and keep my head down and don't rush the shot i hit them well. and havent lost a bird yet. (although i have to give credit to my dogs also)
Ben
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

Ben, Where are you located? I've hunted Pheasant there near Uniontown.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays wrote:
citorifeather

funny, but I am SO PISSED at the original comment that if I saw this person in public I'm not sure I could contain myself. My Dad was a decorated Navy Pilot (and 16 gauge afficianado) with a MASTERS degree from the naval postgraduate school. He has passed away, but I proudly display his thesis and picture in my office. During the cuban crisis his plane located and called in the destroyers to repel the first sub they tried to sneak in. To have some idiot imply that he was "stupid" - well I can't say it in public....

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

What can I say. the man is the perfect complimentry Senatorial partner to dear old Teddy. You all might have noticed that "Big Ted "(otherwise known as Son of Blob) was a bit subdued over Kerry's latest stab at being witty. The two of them side by side remind me of Stan and Ollie, minus the intelligence, talent, and humor. All I can do is shake my head in amazement that the man could actually outdo himself in the "sh*t for brains" department.

Now you know why I'm convinced the election process in MA is nothing but a rig from the get go. Trust me, most folks from MA are just not that moronic to actually vote for these two creeps. I can only pray the Feds get involved in monitoring our state elections. I'm tired of being embarressed by these two clowns. I'm tired of the political corruption that is rampant in our state--I'm just plain weary. We need help. It never comes.
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

birdswatter.... I am located in mercer co Pa. its about 60 minuets north of pittsburgh. I think Uniontown is about 2 hours or so south of me. Ben
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Ben, I am familiar with your area. I spent most of my youth in Youngstown, Ohio.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:00 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Hal: Check this thread http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2003
Unfortunately, the 12 page thread on SS BB on this topic featuring Bro Larry vs. the Mighty Cush is no longer available Very Happy

What a shame. That one was a classic. And do I remember correctly that a certain minister/physician might have helped stir that particular pot? Smile
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:09 am  Reply with quote

ME? Rolling Eyes You were in on that one too Very Happy (But then mental jousting with the Mighty Cush is combat with an unarmed man and no horse Razz )

MGF
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Guilty. Cool
Darn, that was a fun one. The Cush-meister was outdoing himself. You know what would be fun? A web slap fight between Cush and ...
Oh, never mind. Very Happy
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Must've missed this one while out hunting.

Cush . . . I don't believe he owns a 16, doubt he's ever shot one much, but were he to put in an appearance here, he'd be sure to tell us what we're doing wrong with our 16's and what we should do to rectify all our mistakes.

I'm writing Webster and suggesting that their entry under "Internet expert" should be: "See Ralph Cushman".
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

To wander back to the question re 7.5s: They will, as Larry says, reliably take pheasants inside 30 yards.

During the last two weekends, I took 9 birds on 10 shells ... 9 of those shells being the Remington Express 1 1/8 oz in 7.5. Those were from the bottom barrel, choked IC, of my FAIR 900. Those Express loads smacked 'em hard. Did notice they are loud suckers, though.

Funny, I always liked the Federal Premiums better than Remington Express in 12, but I'm loving the Rem 16 ga. loads. Going to pick up a box of No. 6s tonight. I think Larry may have a point about a lot of pellets in the bird.
nossman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

I've been using the Remington GL's #6's on chukar this year, with good results.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

That is my main complaint about using 7-1/2 shot on pheasant, too many pellets in the meat. They will dump a pheasant if you hit them hard inside 25 yards. Up front shots will dump a bird out past 35 yards with them too, but that is not always possible. For going away shots up the tail, 7-1/2 shot is just to iffy for me. I've had very hard hit birds fly off and too many need finisher.
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am  Reply with quote

I've thought about switching shells for the next hunt but realized I cannot. I've killed eight birds in a row before needing the top barrel. God has smiled on me, and I must keep the same shell & choke combo. I also must carry the same bandanna, same pocket knife and wear the same hat ... ... even socks, undies, jeans, shirt, boots and gloves if the weather even remotely allows. I will also drink the exact same brand of coffee from the exact same thermos. I will listen to the same radio station on the drive to the hunt. Nothing can change, I tell you! Nothing! At least not unless my shooting falls all to hell. Then I'll start playing around with my choices again. Wink Laughing