16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Duel in South Dakota
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Just retuned from SD pheasant hunt. Great trip. Northeast corner of State. Good bird numbers on private land. Used two guns, 1926 Fox XE 16 gauge and new Sweet Sixteen A5. Both functioned flawlessly. Shooting RST 1 ounce loads in Fox and Fiocchi Golden pheasant 11/8 ounce loads in A5. Duel winner was? Old Fox. Took birds with both guns but slender Fox was much easier to carry in tough conditions. I found A5 more difficult too handle but those Fioochi loads are killers.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 am  Reply with quote

I felt the same way about my A5-SW16 until I had it converted to a straight stock. Now the others sit.
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I remember seeing that straight stock here. That should make the gun a little easier to handle. I had my stock custom fitted to me and I shoot it great but that pistol grip is a bit bulky. Also, the A5 fully loaded weighs a 6-8 ounces more than the fox.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 am  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Dave, I remember seeing that straight stock here. That should make the gun a little easier to handle. I had my stock custom fitted to me and I shoot it great but that pistol grip is a bit bulky. Also, the A5 fully loaded weighs a 6-8 ounces more than the fox.

Why not carry the A5 with one in the chamber and one in the magazine? I did this with a Rem 1100 years ago, stopped me from wasting that third shot if I had already missed the first two? Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I just put 3 in my autos. Might as well have that 3rd shot benefit when you whiff the first shot and wound on the 2nd. It's all good. My little LC Smith FW16 has been begging me to take her out.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I just put 3 in my autos. Might as well have that 3rd shot benefit when you whiff the first shot and wound on the 2nd. It's all good. My little LC Smith FW16 has been begging me to take her out.

If two is just grand with a sxs or o/u, why isn't it with an auto?

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

Dale

The ever said two in a SxS or OU is grand? I keep my dogs a lot busier with my autos. My SxS's are just for summer clay shooting when it doesn't matter. I do better with an OU in the field and I'll use them now and then.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Cheyenne08 wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

Dale

The ever said two in a SxS or OU is grand? I keep my dogs a lot busier with my autos. My SxS's are just for summer clay shooting when it doesn't matter. I do better with an OU in the field and I'll use them now and then.

Oh, I thought we we talking about hunting. Guess the old boys who shot the doubles in the past, didn't know any better.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:
Cheyenne08 wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

Dale

Oh, I thought we we talking about hunting. Guess the old boys who shot the doubles in the past, didn't know any better.

Dale

Both of my grandfathers got rid of their SxS guns by the 60's and shot repeaters. In the late 60's and 70's I didn't know anyone that shot anything except repeaters hunting. If someone showed up with an old SxS you felt sorry for them and knew they weren't going to hit anything with it. And they didn't. Wasn't fashionable like it has become over the last 20-25 years. Of course there are always a few exceptions floating around.

I will use one of the OU's shooting clays when I don't want to dig hulls out of the snow or pick them up. And even carry the FAIR once a year after grouse. But the rest of the time hunting I have at least 3 purple shells in the pump gun.

Now that fourtrax is a different story. I have hunted with him more than once when he carried a single shot! Very Happy
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Not in the mood for a squabble, Dale. Smile

Shoot what make you happy.
studdog
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:01 am  Reply with quote

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I shoot all over the country. At some clubs, Show up with a Slush-A- Matic and your sent to the group W BENCH.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:03 am  Reply with quote

That's a club I'll gladly avoid.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:07 am  Reply with quote

I am happy very with mine , The straight stock conversion really made a huge difference in the way it carries . I like having the third shot too. I have shot lots of dove and snipe, a few quail and pheasant . no ducks yet but I plan on changing that next weekend . A great all around gun thats hard to leave at home.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Not in the mood for a squabble, Dale. Smile

Shoot what make you happy.

I do.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Interesting...most “duels” were conducted with single-shot devices and seconds who wore nice hats.

That said, I naturally loaded only two shells in my Sweet 16 for ruffed grouse and woodcock....naturally so for the wonderful balance that two shells deliver when accompanied by a plain barrel of 26”.
Again naturally, one must possess a fine sense of balance to appreciate that loading decision and not all are so blessed. Such is Life in the fast lane.
But for pheasants, I loaded three shells in the true Sweet as the greater distances to which I often allow a pheasant to achieve( for the sport, don’t you know) will find a bit more forward oomph in the swing to be a plus.

In another thread I noted that scatter gunning was essentially far from rocketry but upon further review, I believe scatter gunning to be, while not rocketry, it is at least possessed of fiddly bits not unlike what my grandmother most have found will watching her “stories” on the Philco.
Live & Learn....if one does not Live then they do not Learn.
Carry forward, Scattergunners. Very Happy