16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Your Double on Upland Birds.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 am  Reply with quote

I've had several doubles on ducks, but I can't remember a true double on grouse, woodcock, or pheasants. A couple years ago I had a perfect chance at a pair of roosters and I hit the first bird, but it was flapping as he was coming down so I nailed him again. My partner, who doesn't hunt pheasants nearly as much as I was disappointed that I didn't go for the double. I told him that losing two roosters feels twice as bad as losing one. (Been there!)

i have some other worthy accomplishments, tho. I had a true 5 for 5 day of ruffed grouse once when I was 20. Then in my 30's I once ran 9 straight ruffed grouse taken on three consecutive hunts. I also ran 22 straight pheasants one season in my late 30's.
IDcut
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:13 am  Reply with quote

I'm not sure what this one would be considered, but in 2005 I was hunting Brownlee Reservoir for chukar with the same good friend previously mentioned. We were working up a draw with some good water in it, as we approach the head of the draw, the dogs flushed some chukars, I shot one out front and was swinging to pick up the back of the covey, when I saw peripherally another group of birds had jumped up. I picked out another chukar, dropped it and another bird dropped from the group I saw jump last.

Come to find out the last group of birds that jumped were huns, so I dropped 2 chukars and 1 hun with 2 shots.
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I've had several doubles on ducks, but I can't remember a true double on grouse, woodcock, or pheasants. A couple years ago I had a perfect chance at a pair of roosters and I hit the first bird, but it was flapping as he was coming down so I nailed him again. My partner, who doesn't hunt pheasants nearly as much as I was disappointed that I didn't go for the double. I told him that losing two roosters feels twice as bad as losing one. (Been there!)

i have some other worthy accomplishments, tho. I had a true 5 for 5 day of ruffed grouse once when I was 20. Then in my 30's I once ran 9 straight ruffed grouse taken on three consecutive hunts. I also ran 22 straight pheasants one season in my late 30's.

Early this century I shot the first grouse pointed for three years in a row. All three years I missed the next 9 or 10. I like your string of 9 better.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Beagleman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

A double on quail with my L.C. Smith using Polywad double wide shells last year.
A different sort of double Thanksgiving day, 2001. I predominantly rabbit hunt with beagles and for years we had group of 3 that hunted every Thanksgiving morning. We had jumped a rabbit and had been running it for 45 minutes when I killed it with my 16ga Ithaca 37. As I took a step toward the rabbit a fox came out, grabbed the rabbit and took off. He was quick....but not quick enough!

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

I got my only triple on quail back in 1990 with my Rem 1100 in 20 ga. only to be beat by my nephew the next day when he got three quail with one shot with his 20ga single shot! The covey rise was crossing in front of him and he shot at the lead bird and the 1oz load of 6's strung out enough to get the three behind it.
My first double on pheasants came a couple years later with my rem M11 16ga. while walking a strip of standing milo with my brittany. A productive walk since I filled my limit of four birds in the field right behind my brother in law's farmhouse.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

I know I’ve had doubles on huns and pheasant but don’t remember the particulars all that well.

The one that really sticks in my mind was a triple on pintails in about 2005. I was at Delta Marsh in Manitoba where I had a hunting cabin and after the usual morning set up with decoys, followed by a nice big breakfast around 11:00 I thought I’d wander over to a little slough that was about 150 yards from the cabin to see if anything was there. Stuck my head through the reeds carefullly and up they leapt from the water. Was using my Win M12 16 gauge. Kent TM 1 1/8 #5, if I remember correctly. Two drakes and a hen.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

My first double was a triple on chukars, using my first double, a belgian 16 sxs guild gun. I've been hooked on sxs's ever since. Before that, I was shooting a heavy Weatherby Orion 12ga o/u. What a difference. Have had another chukar triple and several doubles since.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Not Upland but a true pair Hen & Drake Greater (Bluebill) Scaup.

mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
I never got a double on anything.

Dale

I usually only get doubles, but then again, I only have two tubes.....
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder wrote:
Cheyenne08 wrote:
I never got a double on anything.

Dale

I usually only get doubles, but then again, I only have two tubes.....

Damn! you're good! Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

wanna buy a used car? Laughing
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder wrote:
wanna buy a used car? Laughing

Got one only driven by an old lady to go to church on Sundays? Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

No old lady cars, but a double story of sorts....

This AM, fresh snow - time to look for some roosters.
My 10 yr old girl, the friend I got her from 10 years ago, and his new pup (and
the superlight feather - of course) set out.
A less than spectacular shot, following a stellar point resulted in a cripple gliding off into heavy cover. After an exhaustive search, no bird in the dogs mouth. As we pushed on, 1/2 hour later another point in a brushpile - a crippled bird! In the bag it goes, my girl's nose saves the day.
Later, we leave and head home. 45 minutes down the road I drop off my friend at his truck, he says "shit, my shotgun is back at the parking area" Shocked . Off he goes with a sliver of hope.
He calls later today, says, "got it"..... It sat at a parking area for a popular public parcel unmolested for 1.5 hours.
A double of good fortune........ Interesting day, one which my wife and I finished up with fresh deep fried rooster breasts dipped in honey - tired dog (actually one tired and three very actively begging...) at our feet.
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Took a double last night but it was Knob Creek with ice.

larry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 am  Reply with quote

I have a few triples on chukars but two years was my double day. 10 birds with 14 shots. 8 huns and two roosters. Three doubles on huns. I will probably never shoot that well again. It was because of the dog work. Larry