16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Adventures in Kansas-Lefever 16 ga. is MVP
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for the sharing, Wyo! Wood ducks and 16's are a fine blend! I need to try some steel in my SW16 next year. The Kent Bismuth 5's worked well for me this year.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16, not ready to completely tip my hand around here, but you may just see that. Wink

gomerdog
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
What a great story you have told in picture and word. You should be able to sell that to a magazine its that good.. Thanks for bringing us along.

WyoChukar has had articles and photos published in Wyoming Wildlife magazine. His photos have also won regional photo contests in recent years.

He also seems to be pretty good with a wrench, a screw driver, a file and any other tool he can get his hands on.

Oh...and he also drives a school bus with finesse.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Well it looks like the cat is out of the bag and the anonymity has been nice...but I will "fess up". I do write a few articles for magazines. Mostly Fur-Fish-Game and American Waterfowler. I sent one into Upland Almanac a few years ago too. I probably should explore that avenue again soon.

Keep in mind, it is not my primary source of income, but some of this does result in gas money. I think you all know how that gets spent. Very Happy

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Great post! I have to ask though, were there no issues shooting steel in the Lefever, especially in the full choked left barrel?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

I went back and checked the choke and it is .022" not .023". Anyway, that barely makes improved modified and no there have not been any choke issues. I do see some minor "peening" in the forcing cones ahead of the chambers but am not concerned. It's cosmetic and I bought a well worn gun with the intent of fixing it up while still using it frequently. She is not destined to be a cabinet queen. With choking ideal for steel, I knew all along that this day would come. The gun certainly is a joy to use on timber ducks, or anything else for that matter.

Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,a nice piece of writing and photography. A good clear report. Seemed to be a great trip. Thanks for taking the time and effort to entertain us with the details of your adventures.

byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 am  Reply with quote

What a great trip. When does the book come out. You tell a great narrative.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I went back and checked the choke and it is .022" not .023". Anyway, that barely makes improved modified and no there have not been any choke issues. I do see some minor "peening" in the forcing cones ahead of the chambers but am not concerned. It's cosmetic and I bought a well worn gun with the intent of fixing it up while still using it frequently. She is not destined to be a cabinet queen. With choking ideal for steel, I knew all along that this day would come. The gun certainly is a joy to use on timber ducks, or anything else for that matter.

Great. Good to know. Thanks-

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
squareload1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Great narrative of your adventure in KS. I love chasing birds in KS and the diversity of game makes it a lot of fun. Thank you for sharing!

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Jakeismydog2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

What type of dog is Rusty? a Toller?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:15 am  Reply with quote

I get that once in a while. He is actually a sable coat Border Collie. Interestingly enough, Tollers originally are a blend of breeds that include dogs like Rusty.

Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Now that's a great report. Them woodies sure do taste good, don't they? Your continued McGyver exploits beginning with your stitching yourself up sometime ago and the DIY repair to Uncle Dan's gun are inspirational. Tip about bobwhite singles. Give them 20-30 minutes to start moving around before chasing after them. They don't have too strong a scent after the coveyrise and they need to move around leaving a scent trail for Rusty. When they first hit the ground, they stay put for awhile before moving. All in all, A+ for effort and results. Gil
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

i did do that a couple times and yes it payed off. Wait long enough and they will regroup too. It also works with chukars. If they vanish, come back later.

Scaled quail will regroup too, but not necessarily where you last saw them. Pressured birds regroup post haste, often flying in to the call bird's location. Unpressured birds (away from roads) take their time.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Your post about your Kansas hunt really got me fired up, so when my friend told me he was spending the last 2 weeks of the season in Kansas, and did I want to join him for 5-6 days, I jumped on it. It will be my first trip to Kansas--first ever on truly wild pheasant and quail. I have 2 seasoned setters and 2 6 mo old pups. Will be taking my Parker GH O frame damascus, an Ithaca 4E, and a F. Rizzini ou w/ double triggers--all 16's of course. I know its late in the season, so birds may be few and far between--the survivors.
Bad news is the winter storm is predicted to hit tonight/tomorrow making travel a little dicey--both snow and ice. May have to delay leaving til later in the day if the morning is really bad. Its probably a 17 hour drive in good weather, so will just play it by ear.
One of my pups gets so car sick, its terrible. She just drolls and foams at the mouth, getting soaking wet in her crate. I've tried meclazine with little success. I have a cap on the truck so the dogs are out of the weather.
Headed out to NW Kansas in the Wakeeny/Hill City area.