16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2018 16 gauge plans?
zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

Plan on mainly using my two sixteens for duck hunting next season. Having too much fun with my new twentyeights in the uplands.

Pretty much set on my stable of shotguns now (fourteen....yikes). A good mix of twelves, sixteens, twentys, twentyeights and one fourten.

Now having said that.....if I ever came across a nice sixteen hammer Damascus...!

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I'm working on a "secret weapon" so I can outshoot Fourtrax at the Duluth Double Gun this year. I know, I know, but a guy has to have a dream. Look out Steve, I'm coming for you! Wink

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 am  Reply with quote

I just plan to take my 16 ga SXS's (8 of them currently) on long, leisurely walks behind my two renegade German Shorthairs and admire beautiful game birds over the broad sighting planes of those lovely guns. Trips to Montana, Idaho, Kansas, Oklahoma and Alabama should provide enough variety in the scenery to keep it interesting for me, the dogs and the guns.

NY16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

Great topic, timely one for me too since I'm starting to firm up my plans this month. Unfortunately the last few years I've been focused on some personal/family stuff and getting my new business off the ground, which hasn't left as much time as I'd like to shoot and hunt and fish. This year things finally seem to be calming down and I have one of those milestone birthdays in the Fall so I have a few things in mind.

First, I'm making some room in my budget for a new 16ga. I'm hoping to buy a plain jane but decent English boxlock that really speaks to me. If that doesn't work out I've been getting interested in some of the French guns too and they seem a bit more affordable (I'm open to any advice about buying a French SxS, by the way) Hell, I'd even be happy to get a Remington 11-48 or a Sweet to tinker with.

Next and most important, I'm taking a good, long trip to Montana in September. My GWP is eight now so I want to get in as much field time as possible with her over the next couple years and I want to shoot my first sage grouse pretty badly. I'm determined to wander around the prairie in the eastern part of the state for at least 10 days. If all goes as planned, I'll be carrying either my grandfather's old 16ga Sterlingworth or whatever new 16ga I can afford. If the weather doesn't cooperate I might try for chickens and sharptails in Nebraska or blues in Colorado as my Plan B.

Those are my priorities anyway and I'll do my usual spring turkey hunting and grouse and woodcock hunting close to home here in NY. I even saw a nice buck way back in the mountains this year so I might have to dust off the Marlin .30-30 in the Fall. Of course, if I could fit in a mid-season grouse and woodcock hunt with a buddy in Wisconsin and/or a late-season quail hunt with a buddy in Kansas that would be icing on the cake!
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:29 am  Reply with quote

Edited; This plan was aborted.

Last edited by double vision on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 am  Reply with quote

I'll add another plan which is to start using the MEC Grabber for which I traded to obtain a couple years ago. I'll set it up for 7/8 oz. target loads more or less on a permanent basis.
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

I had elaborate plans to hunt grouse the last 3 weeks of Dec 2017, since the grouse season was extended to Dec 31st. Well, wouldn’t you know, central Ontario winter socked in Parry Sound area with bitter cold and copious amounts of snow from the 10th-31st. My 2 Pudelpointers had no desire to venture forth but my black lab was willing. Then, Fire emergency responses capitalized my time until the turn of the calendar year.
Thus , I now have 46 days vacation banked for 2018. If all goes as planned, I will finish my quest to take a grouse with everyone of my 16 bores. That means my 1928 JP Sauer Model 8. ; Baikal IJ 58; Browning BPS Medallion (26”); Simson Model 70; and my Laurona will have to wait until Sep opener to join the hallowed ranks of my other eleven 16 bore doubles and two Remington repeaters.
The way I see it, I will leave the Fire station on Sep 15, 2018 and report back to duty on Dec 1st.
YA RIGHT

Last edited by grousepointer16 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

I’m so grouse nuts I almost forgot. In May I plan on harvesting a black bear with my Rem 11.

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:48 am  Reply with quote

Hoping to...move up a flight in trap league with my 870, add a Pathos DT to the safe + hunt up a few birds and bunny's with it this fall, hunt more waterfowl with the 16's....

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

1) Wake up on right side of dirt.
2) Choose what birds to chase.
3) Choose Fox or Lefever.
4) Remember to take shells. Forgot once. No more of that!
5) Let the day take its course.

brewer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

I plan on selling my 16ga Belgian. It doesn't fit me...too short, and wrong pitch. It has heel and toe plates on the checkered butt, and I don't want to destroy that just to put on a rubber extension pad, as I usually do to make a gun fit me. This is just too nice a gun to alter.
I am also in the process of refinishing the barrels of my JP Sauer 16ga. It is a general "knock about" gun that has seen quite a bit of use. It is my main go to gun for almost everything. The barrels had lost a fair amount of blue and would get small rust spots in the field, before I even got back to the car to wipe it down. It just needs to be protected, so I am polishing them to 320 grit and will have them re-blued.
My new years resolution is to shoot more and anchor more birds when I hunt.

gomerdog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Recently purchased a J.C. Higgins Model 583.1101 bolt action 16 gauge shotgun with an adjustable choke.

Wait...is that laughing I hear out there??

Well, SOMEONE has to shoot those old clunkers!
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Took out the 20ga M37 again today, wth is wrong with me? Why didn't anyone tell me the early 20s are the best of these guns, now I'm wondering about the 37R's in the yellow shell. It's 16s from now to the end of the season but that M37 is something.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Received my my 1937 Ithaca NID , Looks like it sat in a closet for 81 years , not sure it was ever shot . Pulled the but stock to remove the auto safty bar , inletting looked like it just came from the factory - 28" barrels 6lb 7 oz choke mod .014 and Full .033 (ex Full) fits me really well. Need to get out and shoot her , hopefully tomorrow .

Last edited by fn16ga on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 pm  Reply with quote