16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  For those with a bad case of hammergunitis
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:47 am  Reply with quote

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/724926544

I have no relation to this auction, and I know it's not a 16. But when it's an Art-deco-ish engraved round-bodied 28ga Belgian sidelock hammergun with 29 1/2 inch barrels and no evidence of Bubba and his Screwdrivers having had their chance at, I think you'll forgive me for posting it in this forum.

fourtrax
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Pretty interesting gun. Can anyone make out anything (glean any info) from the proof marks etc on the flats? Also, have the bores near the muzzles & the chambers been reamed recently? Looking at the pix on the phone wasn't too conclusive for me. Wonder if it's still "on face" for that age of gun? Could be a pretty neat gun if it's fit to fire.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 am  Reply with quote

fourtrax wrote:
Pretty interesting gun. Can anyone make out anything (glean any info) from the proof marks etc on the flats? Also, have the bores near the muzzles & the chambers been reamed recently? Looking at the pix on the phone wasn't too conclusive for me. Wonder if it's still "on face" for that age of gun? Could be a pretty neat gun if it's fit to fire.

Looks like normal nitro proofs. As long as the wall thickness in the first 13" is good I wouldn't have any qualms about shooting it.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

@ Mark Larson -- What would you say are acceptable wall thicknesses from zero to 13 inches for you? I've got a thin-walled (by my estimation) 16 gauge Czech turn-of-the-century, fine damascus, BP proofed, 16 ga. hammer double in great shape that has .040" wall thickness at 9", but only about .188 at the breech. Your advice and experience would be good to hear.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

Maybe your preferred channel for response regarding your above statement on wall thickness sufficiency is Private Mail. Please check your PM, Mark. Hope you can list the criteria you use to assess sufficiency.

Thanks,
Tony
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
UncleDanFan,

Maybe your preferred channel for response regarding your above statement on wall thickness sufficiency is Private Mail. Please check your PM, Mark. Hope you can list the criteria you use to assess sufficiency.

Thanks,
Tony

Sorry Tony, haven't been paying attention. There are some threads on the double gun site that would be able to answer that question with sufficient accuracy. I don't remember the measurements for the first 9" off the top of my head unfortunately.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."