16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Just bought this
jimdgreat1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/725057869

USSR single barrel 16 gauge. Anyone familar with this?
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

jimdgreat1 wrote:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/725057869

USSR single barrel 16 gauge. Anyone familar with this?

Never had a Russian shotgun. I am going to ask you this question, and please don't get too mad at me. Why buy a gun in such poor shape? For a wall hanger?

It wasn't worth anything in 1965 and is worth less now.

I guess you can sell anything.

Hope you enjoy your purchase.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
jimdgreat1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

No offense taken. Was looking at single shot shotguns, this one is my birth year. Will have $100 in it. I've spent more for less reason. Will report back on how it shoots.
May just sleeve the barrel to 44 mag.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

jimdgreat1 wrote:
No offense taken. Was looking at single shot shotguns, this one is my birth year. Will have $100 in it. I've spent more for less reason. Will report back on how it shoots.
May just sleeve the barrel to 44 mag.

I admire your spunk. it's a long way from 16 ga .667 or so to .429!

Carry on.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

The Baikal single shot shotguns appear to be a copy of this design (or vice versa).
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

That's probably what is currently known as a Baikal MP-18. It was imported and rebadged as a Spartan 100 or SPR100 by Remington at one time. Worldwide, they are everywhere. They are well designed and well made. Tough as a boot. I have several. .410 and two 20's. A highly modified 20 ga. is my "big bore" turkey gun.
Here's a Chilean hunter with his taped together gun. Not a bad day afield.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53098_600x400/] [/URL]
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Gil, I wonder if his gun was "badly pitted " too? I think I will skip these tough as a boot shotguns.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
jimdgreat1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
Gil, I wonder if his gun was "badly pitted " too? I think I will skip these tough as a boot shotguns.

Dale

I know I'm taking a chance here but wouldn't be surprised if the pitting was fouling. Will clean the barrel and see.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing $50.00 plus shipping, Merry Christmas! A early present to one's self. Enjoy.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 am  Reply with quote

These shotguns are made by the Kalashnikov Group (yep, make the AK, too) in Russia in the city of Izhevsk in the Republic of Udmurtia. This is where civilian and military guns are made in Russia. The first Baikal I tricked-out with a Sumtoy screw-in choke, Burris FFIII red dot, trigger job and a rattle-can camo job. I bought it delivered NIB from Cheaperthandirt for $105 delivered. It’s a stone cold turkey killer with tungsten super shot #9. I gave it to a buddy on his retirement and now you couldn’t pry it out of his hands with a crowbar. I replaced it with another, my “big bore” turkey gun. Same treatment as above, but shortened the barrel and Duracoated it myself with a “shake and spray” kit. I think the OP’s gun will probably do just fine. It’s built like a tank.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53100_600x400/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53101_600x400/] [/URL]
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

Gil, do you prefer singles to sxs's for turkey hunting? I've only shot four turkeys, and none with more than one shot, but I keep telling myself a follow up shot might come in handy. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:11 am  Reply with quote

Mark, for the past half dozen seasons all I've used in the spring season has been single-shots. Light in weight and makes me wait for the optimum shot. I like the idea of using these inexpensive guns and making them as deadly on game as guns costing 20 times more. I have had a couple of clean misses and a second shot may have made the difference, but all in all, I prefer the single-shots. I've missed multiple shots with repeaters over the years due to the Indian not the arrow concept. The two Baikals weigh about 5 lbs., 6 oz as depicted. More than half the time I prefer carrying this little .410 by Yildiz which weighs 3 lbs., 4 oz. as depicted. It, too, was tricked-out the same as the Baikals and only cost $130 new from Academy. It also shoots TSS 9's and is a legitimate 40 yard plus gun, but I restrict shots to less distance. You might recognize it as you painted the beautiful gobbler on the stock. It shoots 13/16 oz. of TSS which work better our of the brass hulls than plastic hulls. No one will believe me when I say you didn't put me up to showing the artwork, but you didn't and I'll do it any way. Smile I love the way it looks. Gil
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53102_600x400/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53103_600x400/] [/URL]
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
Mark, for the past half dozen seasons all I've used in the spring season has been single-shots. Light in weight and makes me wait for the optimum shot. I like the idea of using these inexpensive guns and making them as deadly on game as guns costing 20 times more. I have had a couple of clean misses and a second shot may have made the difference, but all in all, I prefer the single-shots. I've missed multiple shots with repeaters over the years due to the Indian not the arrow concept. The two Baikals weigh about 5 lbs., 6 oz as depicted. More than half the time I prefer carrying this little .410 by Yildiz which weighs 3 lbs., 4 oz. as depicted. It, too, was tricked-out the same as the Baikals and only cost $130 new from Academy. It also shoots TSS 9's and is a legitimate 40 yard plus gun, but I restrict shots to less distance. You might recognize it as you painted the beautiful gobbler on the stock. It shoots 13/16 oz. of TSS which work better our of the brass hulls than plastic hulls. No one will believe me when I say you didn't put me up to showing the artwork, but you didn't and I'll do it any way. Smile I love the way it looks. Gil
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53102_600x400/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53103_600x400/] [/URL]

Thanks Gil, that's great input. I wasn't trolling for kudos, but thanks anyway. Laughing That is a pretty sweet little turkey tamer you have there.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."