16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  P/W Problem
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Just bought a P/W 375 when I try to load 1 oz loads the final crimp is pushed open, I tried two different recipes and they both had the same result. #7 shot green dot and 20/28 powder in new Fiocchi hulls SG16 and SP16 wads. Adjusted the final crimp, same problem, eve tried an over shot card
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:42 am  Reply with quote

What do you mean by pushed open. Pic would help. Is it happening on final crimp station, or on other side of machine on the shell ejection station? Depth of crimp, is your ram going too deep and spreading the crimp open after making it?

If its on eject station, you need to polish inside of shell holder die, they can stick and cause shell top to get mashed on eject. Polish and try one with some lube.wiped in there, wd40 or such.

If on final crimp, raise center ram up too far, then lower bit by bit for proper depth.

Is you machine taper dies or old? So 375 or 375c?
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave
It's at the final crimp. the center is open and exposes the shot and it falls out. I scavenged all my shot from the failures so I don't have a picture. 375C
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

The final crimp (fifth station) has two methods of adjustment. A hex nut tightens/loosens the coil spring and the height of the die is set by putting the assembly in the tool head and then tightened into place with the set screw. trial and error on the settings will adjust the crimp although if the hull has insufficient filler, the problem may be with the load rather than the press.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

If your final crimp depth looks ok, a.dime thickness, then i would start by lowering pre crimp to get more plastic into the crimp, that usually fixes a hole for me on pw.
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
If your final crimp depth looks ok, a.dime thickness, then i would start by lowering pre crimp to get more plastic into the crimp, that usually fixes a hole for me on pw.

BINGO!!!!
The crimp starter is like BP brass starter, I had it mounted flat to the tool head like the 20 & 28 starters. Dropped it about 1/8" and the final crimp is now the way it should be.
Thanks Gents for the assistance