16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester Mod 1897 16 ga
vandie9684
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

How many of you out there own one of these, only 100,000 made. Some solid frame some take down. I have a 1922 take down that was my father-in-laws that is in very good condition. Only draw back he lived in Michigan and took it to the Marbal gun company and had them put them put one of their adjustable choke devices on it way back when. That way he could hunt ducs, dear rabits or anything else with one gun, Still tight as a tick and I hunt with it a little myself.
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:49 am  Reply with quote

I have one and just love it...The choke gizzy just adds character to your gun...It was made to work, not look at...Enjoy it...
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:41 am  Reply with quote

got 2 of them - both as tight as vaults . one is 3rd gen - spring ejectors , button mag releases etc . My GOOD one here has a last model stock , a California made late model FE , and a cerated hammer from a last model 12ga . Looks like the last one out of the factory in spite of being a teens gun ! The other is a slightly older 2nd gen with the screw mag stops . Boy , is that one a tight shooter ! Love em dearly !!

Stack16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have one., don't know about all those features that Bill (16 ga. davis) talks about, if the hammer is cocked the button will release the action, full choke that measures .027 constriction. It has been reblued. Don't know if it is 2-3/4 or not, but it shoot and ejects them fine and it will grind up the targets with 3/4 oz. loads when I'm on them. If I ran the serial no. correctly it was made in 1907. It has the D over the seral no.
I like it

Griff

bbrown
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 16ga Mod 97 from 1954. It has the weaver choke on it and makes a great late season pheasant gun with the IC choke in it. I’m a 4th generation Mod 97 user. There is just something about that klickity-klack when it cycles.

1 Tim 1:15
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

they are usually wonderful deer guns . You can damp the trigger as you cock it and set it in the sear totally quiet . Try getting a safe button off like that in a new gun !!

kgb
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Mine's choked cylinder and looks to have been partially refinished at some point way back to stop or repair rust damage. The pitting looked worse than it really was and cleaned up well, but I haven't hunted with it for a couple years. It will get back out there.

bearman49709
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't call that a drawback, those adjustable chokes made so you could hunt different things without having to buy more shotguns just like your Father in law did.

I prefer a poly choke myself no loose choke tubes or wrenches needed.