16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Resizing help?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

3birddogs wrote:
Some guns just have tighter tolerances than others, i use an old Mec 600 loading both 2 3/4" and 2 1/2" shells with a short kit(BTW, that short kit plate also works just fine on my 12 and 20 Mec600s when I want to load short shells in those guages.) My Ithaca 4E 16 circa 1928, is very finicky, my reloads may jam in the chamber if I try to force them in--but those same reloads just drop right into all my old Parkers, Foxes, Lefevers, etc, without a hiccup. My Rizzini 600 much prefers factory loads, and my reloads may Jam. Simple solution, since the 4E and Rizzini are fluid steel and more modern, I shoot factory loads thru them and then reload those hulls, generally 7/8 oz for the older guns. Would be interesting to see how much tighter the chambers are on the Ithaca and Rizzini compared to the others.
Mark , is it just that one Husky that gives you problems?

Yep. I'm hoping when I get it back from Mike Orlen lengthening the forcing cones/chambers, that it may be a bit less finicky.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

3birddogs,

Something doesn't seem correct. Your reloads don't fit in the Rizzini?

Is this a rim thickness issue?

I have seen this before where the cartridge seems to fit fine but then it binds up trying to close the action. I had this happen with some hulls that I picked up off the skeet field one day. I resized them but I couldn't get my Citori to close all the way. I measured the rims and they needed to go on a diet.

DanLee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

I've encountered tight bodied shells before, usually a mushroom head on a reload. It's caused by not adjusting the final crimp properly, which can't be done anyway on the Lee. Try lowering the punch a bit on the MEC. If you have a 9000 or a Grabber, the final die puts a bevel on the shell but again it has to be adjusted properly.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I bought a super sizer. Hopefully that will take care of it. I'll find out when I get my barrels back from Mike Orlen.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."