16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Grulla Exclusive importer
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:03 am  Reply with quote

In the past 2-3 weeks, on one of the other shotgun related websites, I read that Grulla was dumping all their US importers except for one.
Now I can't find that thread and can't remember who the exclusive dealer is.

Can anybody help?

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:27 am  Reply with quote

I love it when I can answer my own question.
Found it on Upland Journal, GSI Shocked has the exclusive beginning in Feb 07.
Sometimes the business decisions that companies make are beyond unfathomable! Crying or Very sad

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Just to close this loop..........

Harry Marx www.higradeimports.com will retain his importation rights. It appears that being one of, if not THE first US importer of Grullas carries some weight in Eibar. Surprised

All other dealers who want to sell Grullas will have to go through GSI. Sad

Pete

Chukarman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Foursquare wrote:
Just to close this loop..........

Harry Marx www.higradeimports.com will retain his importation rights. It appears that being one of, if not THE first US importer of Grullas carries some weight in Eibar. Surprised

All other dealers who want to sell Grullas will have to go through GSI. Sad

Pete

Harry is the oldest and highest volume dealer that Grulla has in the US. He also has a good inventory of (16 gauge) guns. Europeans continue to puzzle me, and to burn their bridges. Their competition will pick over the bones on this one, and Grulla will lose.

Bonasa
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Spoke with Harry yesterday. It sounds like he may loose his rights to import Grulla's as well. He complained of starting off Arrieta and loosing them and now Grulla.
I guess these companies don't want to make money...

Chukarman
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:54 am  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this.

Harry has always been a pleasure to deal with. Last time I was at his shop, he had a number of very nice Grulla guns - in desireable models with super wood. This might be a good time to pick one up.

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

There is a little more to the story than is being told. Seems Eibar customs is no longer accepting guns as freight. The 5 major makers had very little options for getting their guns out of Spain. Grulla looked to their importers for help as did the others. GSI is now owned by H&K, the parent company for Merkel. They import guns all over the wold and they had the customs network pre-set. Grulla took the easy route and they let GSI deal with their importation to the USA.

To quote a friend in the Spanish gun business, "this may be the beginning of the end for custom Spanish guns..."
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Brian Meckler wrote:
There is a little more to the story than is being told. Seems Eibar customs is no longer accepting guns as freight. The 5 major makers had very little options for getting their guns out of Spain. Grulla looked to their importers for help as did the others. GSI is now owned by H&K, the parent company for Merkel. They import guns all over the wold and they had the customs network pre-set. Grulla took the easy route and they let GSI deal with their importation to the USA.

To quote a friend in the Spanish gun business, "this may be the beginning of the end for custom Spanish guns..."

Dang Brian, that sounds serious.

What exactly have been the ramifications of this? Can they no longer ship individual guns because of the hassle and have to go to shipping in large lots to the importers? Geez... this really sucks.

I hope it doesn't cause another DIARM type fiasco where so many good makers went under. Spanish makers in Eibar are just now starting to reap the rewards of quality improvements and reputation being rebuilt, particularly in light of Weiland's fantastic book. *SIGH*

Any other heard anything similar?

KB
Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Brian Meckler wrote:

Brian, this is truly a revolting development. How sure are we that this is true?
Is it a result of some wacko policy of the lefty govt that won last year?

Pete

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

I am very sure the information I got it correct. The story came from an Arrieta importer I have delt with many time in the past. He had no axe to grind he was just being honest with me.

I assume this development will cause a price increase. With CSMCs gun in production and the possiblility that other gauges will be offered in the RBL the Spanish market can't take too many price increases.