16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off-Topic: Portable traps
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:32 am  Reply with quote

I've been mulling over getting a portable trap. I don't need anything fancy, just one that I can take out by myself now and then and work on my fundamentals with repetitive targets. I have a Trius One-Step which has been a good product, but I want the ability to stand a distance from the trap and work on a few differing angles. Looking to stay under $500 if possible. I see the Champion WheelyBird seems to get the most positive reviews in this price range. Anyone care to chime in with their experiences with a Wheelybird or something similar? Thanks
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am  Reply with quote

I have a Do-All I got from Cabela's; they keep changing the model name - right now I think it's called the Fowl Play; looks like it in the pics anyway. I have it with the wobble attachment which really helps with different angles, heights etc. And the remote foot switch of course. The model I have doesn't have wheels; if I were buying it now I would probably look for one that does. It's done the job for me; I think I've got less than $300 in it.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

I have an Easy Bird and I cannot recommend it. it breaks more targets than I do. I have done all the factory fixes and I am always futsing with it when I am using it. I have heard that the DO-All is better.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have an easybird and just love it. I might have just gotten lucky but mine rarely breakes targets and I often re throw targets that did not get broken on the initial launch and those have to be weaker. I also have the wobbler and the oscillating Base. It will throw 1 target per second which is so much fun. You can go through a lot of shells and targets quickly! I have a friend who has a Do-All Raven and it has had all sorts of problems with it not releasing and targets not dropping correctly. I guess my experience is the opposite of byrdog.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog, have you tried different brands of targets? I seem to recall the old Remington blue rocks we used years ago were vastly more durable than the Champions. The Champs often broke in the old mechanical trap that we modified to get more realistic speeds from. A long spacer on the spring adjuster did that for us.

Of course, we had to hit those tougher targets harder too. I would go pick up the unbroken targets after we finished shooting and was surprised how many Remingtons had tiny chips and grooves from pellets!

fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:11 am  Reply with quote

We have been using a Champion wheely bird for 3 years over at the farm. Comes with a 25' cord, I've added plug ends to it so I could get more distance around the trap and it will work with 300' of good extension cord. We use a 12 volt motorcycle battery and it holds up for 3 cases of targets. Throws 50 to 60 yards depending on the wind. Throws pitch or Bios with very little breakage. Only throws standard size targets. Elevation is easily adjustable , easy to move on wheels.Been pretty much trouble free through 20+ cases of birds per year. Hope this helps.

Coyote Crusader
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:12 am  Reply with quote

+1 for Do All Raven. Great customer service as well.

byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 am  Reply with quote

The problems on my Easy Bird are all little mechanical ones. The cycle switch was way off when I got it. That made it cycle without stopping. it still has trouble dropping the targets with out jamming or dropping 2 targets and smashing both. The machines motions are very inconsistent. I have tweeked tightened and adjusted. Just seems that the parts dont fit well.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like you got a "lemon". Perhaps more owners will weigh in.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:52 am  Reply with quote

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like all of them can do a decent job. Byrdog, I had the same thought as WyoChukar. Lemon?

I see Champion is now offering a remote control for the WheelyBird, Easybird and their newer Workhorse models, as does the Do-All Raven, but I wonder if a foot pedal would be easier when shooting alone vs. the remote. Just thinking outloud on this. Sounds like the remote works well based on the reviews.'
https://www.opticsplanet.com/champion-targets-single-double-remote-release-systems.html

The ranges I use are little country ranges that can be rough, so having wheels may or may not help. That said, sometimes when I pack my guns and extra stuff (rests, etc) I use a full-sized plastic wheelbarrow with a big pneumatic tire which is in keeping with being an educated hillbilly.

Thanks again for the feedback!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:13 am  Reply with quote

I think I would rather use a foot pedal release switch so I can stand with the gun held in my hands naturally rather than quickly reaching for the grip when the target launches. Plus, it would be about my luck the remote battery would be dead and I would have no spare.

Ringneck16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

I have a wheelybird on the way. Rogers Sporting Goods had them for $250 shipped.
Ringneck16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am  Reply with quote

Really liking this Wheelybird I picked up. I have run a couple hundred clays through it so far. Bargain for 250 shipped.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 am  Reply with quote

Ringneck, that's good to hear. I'm leaning heavily toward the Wheelybird from Rodger's. It's $120 less than Cabela's plus the free shipping and no sales tax. With the savings I can get a battery and remote. Thanks!
larry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:41 am  Reply with quote

I too have the whirlybird. It would get out of adjustment some. After putting thread lock on the bolts it has stayed put. The 12 volt battery in the remote it the original. As a back up I purchase five more but they remain in the package. I put the remote on a lanyard or tape it on the barrels and then move around and work on my gun mount and for the second barrel keeping my head on the stock. I hope this helps. Larry